aging morphs

• Hello,

DAZ offers an aging morph add-on (http://www.daz3d.com/aging-morphs-3-for-genesis-3-bundle) that offers really good results. But, since it uses "HD morphs", it is difficult to export and work with in other software. I've tried the built-in aging morphs that come with Poser Pro, but they do not create the same detailed wrinkles. Are there other options to age characters in Poser?

Thank you,
    d. vyd

• Poser Ambassadors

Aging morphs.

When loading aging morphs to a face, you probably want to "age" the rest of the body too.

This video shows how you can "detail" any Poser mesh using a FBM and a HD morph created in Blender.

PS; Video1 in this series shows the correct import-export settings between both apps. => Poser => Blender => Poser

• @d.vyd said in aging morphs:

Hello,

DAZ offers an aging morph add-on (http://www.daz3d.com/aging-morphs-3-for-genesis-3-bundle) that offers really good results. But, since it uses "HD morphs", it is difficult to export and work with in other software. I've tried the built-in aging morphs that come with Poser Pro, but they do not create the same detailed wrinkles. Are there other options to age characters in Poser?

Thank you,
    d. vyd

What figures are you working with? Just Genesis 3 or are you open to other figures? For instance, there are some outstanding aging morphs for V4/M4 over at Renderosity.

I don't know doodly about Gen 3 in Poser. I imagine getting sub-d'd morphs for Gen3 figs into Poser could be problematic. However, with Poser's Morph Brush and it's ability to subdivide the mesh, you can sculpt your own and can get very detailed, if needed.

Also, you may wish to take a look at making custom bump/displacement maps to simulate wrinkles and the like rather than trying to actually sculpt most of them. You can edit/create a bump/displacement map in any 2D software. (GIMP is a free painting app.) If you need to see how the UV is layed out and need to get something to help guide you (Like a "Texture Helper"), then use UVMapper (Lite, the free version) to import a .obj file of the figure and to export a UVMap so you can take it into a 2D painting app so you can start an accurate bump/displacement map texture. For multi-map/multi-layered UV map figures, you can select the materials/groups you wish to hide in UVmapper, scale those down to the corner, out of the way, then save the .bmp image file. Just DON'T save the object over an original object file, since that would remap it and that'd be... A Bad Thing ™. :)

• @morkonan, thank you. I'm not familiar with the different generations of DAZ and Poser figures or their capabilities. I will look into V4/M4. Do I need to buy the V4/M4 bases or do they come with Poser Pro 11? Is there a master list of all these figures and their resolutions, capabilities, and compatibilities?

-d. vyd

• @ghostship, got it. Thank you!

• In terms of native compatibility with Poser, are the V4 and M4 the most flexible base figures available? Genesis 3 looks like it is considered the most flexible, but requires a lot of effort to make compatible with Poser. How about Genesis 2?

-d. vyd

• @d.vyd V4, M4, Dawn and Dusk probably the most detailed and flexible and WAY easier to use than GF3 inside Poser. My avatar uses V4 and there are many V4 renders in the Superfly render section for examples.

• @d.vyd There's a free aging morph for V4 that works with M4: http://www.sharecg.com/v/51777/related/11/poser/maturing-v4-morph-pack

• @d-vyd if you decide to use V4 / M4 it's almost vital that you get the morphs++ packs for them otherwise a lot of custom morphs won't work.
    V4 Morphs++
    M4 Morphs++

• Dusk, using FL's Alaric2 which uses the Aged morph that comes with the Dusk Body Shapes morphs.

0_1488809850257_Dusk Alaric.jpg

• @Glitterati3D, that render looks really good. Thank you for showing an aged example.

@ghostship, are the Genesis figures difficult to use even with the DSON Importer for Poser?

• @d.vyd Yes, they are not figures that were ever intended to use in Poser so not all features work and there is a giant workaround just to get them into Poser to begin with. Gen2 is Poser native but still troublesome.

• @d.vyd said in aging morphs:

In terms of native compatibility with Poser, are the V4 and M4 the most flexible base figures available? Genesis 3 looks like it is considered the most flexible, but requires a lot of effort to make compatible with Poser. How about Genesis 2?

-d. vyd

Here's the thing - There is some great stuff out for Genesis 3 and the like, but the most functionality for those figures comes with their use in Daz Studio. They can certainly work in Poser, but it takes a bit of kludging to get them in and working.

However, the main consideration is the scope of easily accessible products, morphs, textures, clothing, etc coupled with its compatibility for use in Poser. ALL of the Generation 4 (V4/M4/S4/K4/F4) figures are designed for Poser and work within it, flawlessly. And, they have a huge stable of products available for them.

There are aging morphs for just about any Poser figure out there. But, for the work needed by you, value for your money, quality for your time rendering and virtually "all of the above" when it comes down to just starting out with Poser, I'd have to recommend the Generation 4 figures from DAZ. (Victoria 4, Michael 4, Stephanie Petite 4, Kids 4, Freak 4 - They're all based on the same mesh, but have very different morphs, different rigging and, in some cases, slightly different UVmaps.)

And, since they've been around a long time, they're usually pretty cheap to get and there's loads of free stuff out there for them. Also, since the sold content has been around forever, it goes on sale often and is almost always pretty inexpensive. This doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with these figures or that you'll be suffering from any limitations at all! With Poser, you have the power to bring the Generation 4 figures up to "next gen" status, pretty much.

Note: There are other figures besides the Genesis line or Generation 4 that may have aging morphs, too. However, there is a severe lack of content for these figures when compared to Generation 4 figures.

PS - You "might" look into Genesis 3 and the workthrough needed to get it working in Poser. While the stable of products for that series doesn't come close, yet, to the volume of stuff for Generation 4, it is growing. But, working with translating it all into Poser is not a trivial task and does require a more-than-basic understanding of Poser. For now, you're better served by Generation 4, in my opinion.

• @morkonan, I'd prefer to spend my time on posing and rendering issues and not basic compatibility right now. So, thank you for the detailed explanation!

• @morkonan Sorry, but I have to disagree with one part of this comment - that the Generation 4 figures work "flawlessly" in Poser.

The figures themselves are so flawed as to make that comment debatable, but add to that the fact that they are all 10 year old technology that will not take advantage of advanced features of anything after Poser 4.

There are far superior figures out there that DO take advantage of new technology.

• @d.vyd You're welcome. Glad I could provide some insight.

• @Glitterati3D, by "far superior", are you referring to the Dusk and Dawn figures or to the Genesis line?

• @d.vyd Well, the Hivewire figures are one set, but there's also Bella in beta.

But, Miki4, Tyler, Roxie and Rex, GND Anastasia are just a few other figures that use Poser's weight mapping capabilities unlike DAZ Generation 4 figures.

DAZ Generation 4 figures have awful "gumby" bending, balloon shoulders and knees, just to name a few of their issues, and are 10 year old spherical rigging.

I can't make a comparison to DAZ Genesis figures as I have never used them. Since they do not load natively in Poser, I have no desire to.

• @Glitterati3D said in aging morphs:

@morkonan Sorry, but I have to disagree with one part of this comment - that the Generation 4 figures work "flawlessly" in Poser.

The figures themselves are so flawed as to make that comment debatable, but add to that the fact that they are all 10 year old technology that will not take advantage of advanced features of anything after Poser 4.

There are far superior figures out there that DO take advantage of new technology.

Did you miss the part where I mentioned one could use Poser, itself, to bring these figures up to "next gen" status?

They do have "flaws", but then, every figure has flaws. (The only serious issue is a bit of asymmetry in V4, IIRC, as Poser can automatically do a one-click re-adjust for scale zones for the shoulders and new JCM's, suited to taste, can correct mesh blooming/deforms in high and low density areas within the default rig. None of these are concerns for a new-user.) Judgement must be based on intended use. For the OP's intended use, as far as I know, these figures are fine and present a good opportunity for a balance between ease-of-use, versatility, expense and both free and pay content available for them.

The things you mention in your next post have already been done/corrected/expanded upon with Gen 4 figures. Weight mapping, easy JCM creation, re-rigging, morph-following, subdivision, etc.. When I get done with it, I'll put out an injectable face-rig (from scratch) so users can have facial and expression bones like many of the latest figures do. (I'm no coder, so it's a bit of struggle understanding how bones have been injected in the past.)

No, they're not "perfect" from an experienced user's point of view. But, there are no figures on the market that are "perfect" and we simply must judge their suitability based on the intended use and make recommendations to new users based on all considerations a new user would likely have.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.