Hivewire horse very laggy on posing

• I have a performance problem with the Hivewire horse. After loading the full horse with all conformers into an empty scene posing the horse is no fun at all because the update rate is very slow (around 2-3 FPS). As soon as i detach the conformers everything is fine. Conforming the conformers again slows the whole thing down as before.
    Is this the normal behaviour in Poser? I have this issue with PP 2014 and PP 11. My hardware is a MacPro 5.1 with 2 Xeon@3.33GHz and a GTX980 video card.
    Any ideas?

• @nagra_00_ display mode?

• Doesn't matter, no difference in any display mode. It is conformer related and not a graphics issue. BTW i have the exact same problem on a MacMini.

• I don't have a MAC, but on my PC I don't experience that kind of lag and my machine is certainly not "beefy" by any means.

Maybe if you ask over at the Hivewire forums they can help you solve whatever is causing it.

• @nagra_00_ I have the Hivewire horse as well. No problems here. I would delete and reload/reinstall.

• So on Win there is no such problem.

Any Mac users having the same issue (especially on a German Mac OS X)?

On my systems conformers do show a bad runtime performance in general. The HW horse is just one of the worse ones. It is only topped by the ’Beautiful Bends’ version of M4. That one is already super laggy without any conformers attached.

Reinstall of the HW horse does not help.
    Some weeks ago i had a spare MacMini at hand. So i took the chance and made a fresh OS X installation to have a clean system. After that i installed Poser and the HW horse. Well even on the clean system i run into the same performance issues :-(

• Something extra may help to manage unwilling horses.

(sorry could not resist)

• @F_Verbaas said in Hivewire horse very laggy on posing:

Something extra may help to manage unwilling horses.

(sorry could not resist)

Lol, tried that but carrots and sugar lumps don’t help. Shaving away the mane, fetlocks and tail is the only thing that helps. Looks awful but makes it bend smoothly.

• Poser Ambassadors

Next time it is unwilling?
    Hoover your mouse over the delete button. LOL.

• You mean deleting Poser? Hmm, would be the easiest way to solve this issue… but wait i still need Poser to export content to other applications….

• Poser Ambassadors

@nagra_00_
    Ha-ha-ha-,
    Nah, tell the horse to behave or be turned into steaks. Yammie....

• @nagra_00_ Are you using Open GL or SreeD for preview drawing? (Display menu/preciew drawing)

Your machine should be faster all around than mine I have an i5 and a slower video card. The preview drawing mode is the only thing I can think of that is causing the problem.

• @ghostship
    Well it doesn't matter which drawing mode i choose. As said it is not a graphics related issue. I can still move the camera around very smoothly. Its only the posing that is slowed down by the conformers. OK loading a pose or material to the horse is also slow but that seems to be related to the conformer problem. Removing the conformers from the horse does fix the slowness but its no real solution :(
    This is a general issue i do have with conformers on any character. The horse is just an extrem example.

• @nagra_00_ OK. It's not the preview mode.

How much ram do you have and is VM turned on for your Mac? Howe much VM are you set at? I used to be a Mac user (Quadra 660AV through G5) and if there wasn't enough ram you'd have major slow downs in Poser.

• @nagra_00_ said in Hivewire horse very laggy on posing:

This is a general issue i do have with conformers on any character. The horse is just an extrem example.

In your General Preferences options, under Optimizations, try turning on (checking) "Multithreaded Bending." This can help. However, something that isn't in the manual - If you're Rendering In Background, working with/posing figures during rendering can interfere with the rendering process, since it's forcing the CPU to do double-labor. I generally keep it turned off, for that reason, but it can help with the calcs that Poser goes through when you pose figures/manipulate joints.

PS - I have no idea how this would effect your Mac, sorry. Just out of curiosity, do you have any issues when simply moving figures around on the stage in your Preview window? ie: simple translations If your machine "chugs" while figures are being translated or the camera moves, then it could be an OpenGL issue. (Though, you did report that this doesn't happen, so I sort of doubt it's a problem. Just mentioning it to be sure.)

• @ghostship said in Hivewire horse very laggy on posing:

@nagra_00_ OK. It's not the preview mode.

How much ram do you have and is VM turned on for your Mac? Howe much VM are you set at? I used to be a Mac user (Quadra 660AV through G5) and if there wasn't enough ram you'd have major slow downs in Poser.

My system has 48GB of RAM. In OS X there is no need to set VM anymore. It is based on Unix with all its benefits:)

• @morkonan said in Hivewire horse very laggy on posing:

@nagra_00_ said in Hivewire horse very laggy on posing:

In your General Preferences options, under Optimizations, try turning on (checking) "Multithreaded Bending." This can help. However, something that isn't in the manual - If you're Rendering In Background, working with/posing figures during rendering can interfere with the rendering process, since it's forcing the CPU to do double-labor. I generally keep it turned off, for that reason, but it can help with the calcs that Poser goes through when you pose figures/manipulate joints.

Yep have that option set. But it makes no difference. BTW i have never noticed that poser used more than one CPU core for bending no matter of the setting in the preferences.

No background rendering running, no other apps running as well. I guess with 24 CPU Cores it won't make a big difference anyway ;)

• @nagra_00_

I don't have the horse, but does it have a bunch of JCMs? For my part, on a PC with an i7, but only 8gig RAM and an old vidcard, I have no issues with figures that have a ton of customzed JCMs when it comes down to posing/manipulating them. So, I can't see me encountering something like that, even with a figure loaded with many more.

What about weightmapping? Is it weightmapped or does it have cusomized maps for its joint zones?

• @morkonan said in Hivewire horse very laggy on posing:

The horse is WM and thats what makes me wonder why it behaves so poor. As said it bends smooth as long as no conformers are attached to it. Same for the old style V4, M4, etc they bend very smooth but by adding conformers to them bending gets slower and slower. Much slower than i would expect on my system.

• @nagra_00_

Ah!

When you're using conforming clothing with V4/M4, has it also adopted/been converted for use with the customized weight map? (ie: Transfer weight-maps to clothing/etc) Could it be that a standard, non-weightmapped, not-quite-fully-compatible-with-custom-weight-map-rig figure conformed to one with custom weight maps is causing the problem?

ATM, I don't use anything with weight-mapping, 'cause I'm stubborn and have resisted the switch.. But, I do know that weight-mapped figures sometimes, not always, used to need to have their clothing converted so it would work/work better, depending upon how the rigging was set up.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.