Using DAZ Iray scenes in Poser

• I am new to Poser. I notice that a lot of the scenes in DAZ's shop are "optimized for Iray". They include texture maps and a "DSON Core Installer". How difficult is it to load such scenes into Poser and have the textures display correctly in the preview (for toon or sketch)? What would be the next step if I wanted a superfly render?

Thank you,
    D. Vyd

• Poser Ambassadors

@d.vyd said in Using DAZ Iray scenes in Poser:

I am new to Poser. I notice that a lot of the scenes in DAZ's shop are "optimized for Iray". They include texture maps and a "DSON Core Installer". How difficult is it to load such scenes into Poser and have the textures display correctly in the preview (for toon or sketch)? What would be the next step if I wanted a superfly render?

Thank you,
    D. Vyd

Get the DSON Importer from DAZ (free), then get the DSON loader from Dimension3d (free as well) here: http://out.easycounter.com/external/d3d.sesseler.de

Install the DSON importer. If the DS products came with a Poser Companion file, you can use those to load the product.. If not, install the DSON loader and import the DUF files which came with that product.

Not all textures will be mapped, so you have to do that manually.
    Best appreach is to create a PhysicalSurface Root node for each material, then apply the textures to the input nodes. THe PhysicalSurface is similar to Iray, so most of the time this will work.
    I have not seen a script yet which can convert Iray nodes directly to the poser PhysicalSurface root node yet. That would be a great help.

• @wimvdb, thank you.

• @wimvdb theoretically yes, but PhysicalSurface Root (in SR6 at least) works correctly only in BPT mode.

• Poser Ambassadors

@phdubrov - I have content I have built that uses PhysicalSurface (metal/rough) for Superfly & doesn't appear to render differently in 11.0.6.33735 with BPT on or off (CPU rendering); what is the issue? I may be missing something.

@d-vyd - follow @wimvdb's advice first. Then when you come to hook up texture maps the way to go about it will depend on what maps are supplied. The two main workflows for PBR are metal/rough and spec/gloss; look in the Materials tab of the library for Poser 11 Content/Superfly Tileable/!Guide. In that folder is a bunch of materials for each type of workflow which may make things easier to setup.

• @caisson here https://forum.smithmicro.com/post/15158
    And can you make a leaf with alpha map with PhysSurface?

• Poser Ambassadors

@phdubrov said in Using DAZ Iray scenes in Poser:

@caisson here https://forum.smithmicro.com/post/15158
    And can you make a leaf with alpha map with PhysSurface?

Yes, you can. Connect the map to the transparency channel and then select either Transparency or Opacity in TransparencyMode, depending on the map. Transparency is Poser format and Opacity is generally used in PBR (One is inverse from the other).

• Poser Ambassadors

@phdubrov - thanks for link; I'm not using multiple lights so that's probably why I don't see it.

Leaf with a trans map (single-sided square prop, scaled up to figure size) -

0_1489095198286_leaf test.jpg

0_1489095211946_leaf mat.PNG

Would have replied sooner but I haven't used trans maps for leaves before - prefer geo ;)

• Poser Ambassadors

For info - this is result when the opacity map is removed from specular (which as far as I understand it is reflections in Superfly) -

0_1489095977994_leaf test2.jpg

0_1489095989612_leaf mat2.PNG

• @caisson yes, it is what I hinted - but you need multiply both metallic (if non-zero) and specularity on transparency. Set specularity to zero is not enough if metallic is non-zero.

• I don't like the physical root all that much. I just use my own shader as a root node. 0_1489159027490_Shader Guide.jpg

• @ghostship Thanks for that screenshot, as that's helpful information.

• Poser Ambassadors

The point behind the Physical Surface root, as I understand it, was to provide a simple way to get a decent amount of different surfaces using Superfly, without needing to know too much about how to build shaders. It was also intended for use with apps like Substance & Quixel, so you could texture a model then plug the maps in relatively easily. It was never intended to be a catch-all solution. I think it works well within those limitations.

IMO the most important thing is to decide on the surface characteristics of the material you want to approximate first, & then figure out how to go about building the shader from all the different options Poser now offers. I'm just saying that Physical Surface has pros & cons.

For the OP, if the content you want to use has PBR-style texture maps (e.g. albedo/colour/diffuse, plus roughness, plus metallic/metalness, plus normal/bump) then it is very easy to plug them into the relevant bits of the Physical Surface root. One major point behind the new style PBR stuff is greater consistency across render engines, so content made & textured using the metal/rough workflow should be straightforward to set up in either Iray or Superfly, and should give similar rendered results. Just note that I haven't used Iray ;)

• Poser Ambassadors

Personally I just love the PhysicalSurface node since I can hook up my Quixel maps and it will look just the way I want.
    Why make things complex when not needed. ;)

• I like the idea behind the Physical Surface. I don't like the way we deals with transparency now (no built-in "multiply through opacity" option). And the errors in PT mode with the multiple lights means for now no correct interior renders without BPT.

• @ghostship Is this the correct way for the nodes? 0_1502373025219_49db2426-4924-4592-9089-78f13533ea98-image.png