Project e

• @ghostship Just kidding ghostship. It's just that every figure released for Poser lately has been torn apart upon release by critics. I don't want to see that happen to Project E.

• @eclark18941 Will not do this when it comes out. I'm just going to pull the trigger and start using it. I bought Loli and TAB even though I don't use gens in my work. Gotta support our community.

• @eclark18941 we'll see, we'll see!

For the record, I do appreciate criticisms like what was said about the lacrimals and such. With so much to think about I cannot sometimes see the forest through the trees so I do kind of rely on other people's observations. I have a few very clever and experienced folks helping me out with the UV maps and rigging, but even they sometimes miss things. @duanemoody recently convinced me that I needed to brush up on more anatomy that what I already knew, especially if I wanna make a detailed bunch of morph packs for the face, muscles, bodyshapes etc. I'm even researching anime and elves to see if I could make morph options for PE. The research is a lot of fun!

In a way the delays of 2016 was good for something because I've learned so much since then, modeling, rigging, anatomy, materials, DS even, and it is all paying off. Today I redid parts of the meshes of the hands and the arms to make the polys flow better for the biceps and the metacarpal tendons, I could not have done that half a year ago. The release of TaB has also taught me a lot about how I need to release PE.

Also, I am more than happy to make some small changes to PE after the release, as long as it doesn't change the base shape of the important areas such that it compromises vendor's works. But I doubt that would be necessary. As PE is now, she could be morphed into many types of humans.

One thing I am worried about is that some folks won't see past the 'blob' and think "this is it"? Forgetting that PE can be morphed into anything imaginable, as long as you ask me. Which is why I won't release PE until she can morph into anything V4 and Genesis can do today. Or even worse, if they think she works like V4 or Dawn or Pauline. PE is a bit different. V4 doesn't bend like a human, PE does, I even had to teach a well-known artist buddy of mine who has my comic version of PE about how a shoulder actually moves (and where to find the dial that does it for you), he was pleasantly surprised. And he's experienced. Now imagine a newcomer... But its not really those guys I worry about. I've worked with Poser and DS long enough now to know there are people out there with zero imagination, zero patience, and don't read the manual, despite the fact that there's information plastered through out the product promos, throughout icons in the runtime and also making a comic-book style manual to get them to actually read the damned thing! And those guys are usually the ones that spread the rumors in lightning speed across the forums all too happy to burn something down for some strange reason, as if they're proud to have found a flaw. So I will be hounding the forums during the first weeks of PE's release to stop those guys in their tracks.... and I'll probably list the pros and cons myself in the forums lol

• @ghostship that's very cool of you ship! Cheers to you!

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis
    Best thing I ever bought to improve my rigging skills was a Full Body Size Mirror.
    Ok, I did a lot of anatomy study before, but that mirror was probably the best 'rigging and bending" investment ever.

• @vilters girlfriends are also good research material :D

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis said in Project e:

One thing I am worried about is that some folks won't see past the 'blob' and think "this is it"? Forgetting that PE can be morphed into anything imaginable, as long as you ask me. Which is why I won't release PE until she can morph into anything V4 and Genesis can do today. Or even worse, if they think she works like V4 or Dawn or Pauline. PE is a bit different. V4 doesn't bend like a human, PE does, I even had to teach a well-known artist buddy of mine who has my comic version of PE about how a shoulder actually moves (and where to find the dial that does it for you), he was pleasantly surprised. And he's experienced. Now imagine a newcomer... But its not really those guys I worry about. I've worked with Poser and DS long enough now to know there are people out there with zero imagination, zero patience, and don't read the manual, despite the fact that there's information plastered through out the product promos, throughout icons in the runtime and also making a comic-book style manual to get them to actually read the damned thing! And those guys are usually the ones that spread the rumors in lightning speed across the forums all too happy to burn something down for some strange reason, as if they're proud to have found a flaw. So I will be hounding the forums during the first weeks of PE's release to stop those guys in their tracks.... and I'll probably list the pros and cons myself in the forums lol

This has a lot to do with why there aren't more artists making figures, and why some started and then abandoned it. Its not the only reason but it's a big one. And then those same people complain that there isn't more content being made.

• @AmbientShade said in Project e:

This has a lot to do with why there aren't more artists making figures, and why some started and then abandoned it. Its not the only reason but it's a big one. And then those same people complain that there isn't more content being made.

Indeed its one of the reasons I'm taking so long, because I wanna cover all my bases as best I can so give them very little to complain about. But we'll have to see how it pans out, there's so much involved in such a project that there's guaranteed something not 100%... if they then fail PE on that one thing (despite that it can possibly easily be fixed) I'm going to press this big red button I have and blow up the whole world.

• Poser Ambassadors

Just curious, how does this compare to Apollo ... a figure I think really out shines all the figures of the 2000s and some since.

• Hi Ero, everybody here knows your comics, knows what you've released on DA. Even in case I'd be to stupid to move and pose PE, I know what she is capable of, because I've seen it. My advise is, to have a PDF manual with or maybe shortley befor PE release. As a purist, I am happy to learn a new posing technique especially when it follows the rules of real human anatomy. EG: I've allways had problems with those pose packages that included side-side movements of forearms. Forearms don't go sideways. That would break the joint.
    Still looking foreward to release. Looking more and more foreward to that monster, you've created. ;-)

• @masterstroke
    Yep, first thing I do when loading a pose is check the fore arms and shins and zero them out

• @Boni said in Project e:

Just curious, how does this compare to Apollo ... a figure I think really out shines all the figures of the 2000s and some since.

I actually still haven't downloaded Apollo. He's been recommended to me so many times!

@masterstroke said in Project e:

Hi Ero, everybody here knows your comics, knows what you've released on DA. Even in case I'd be to stupid to move and pose PE, I know what she is capable of, because I've seen it. My advise is, to have a PDF manual with or maybe shortley befor PE release. As a purist, I am happy to learn a new posing technique especially when it follows the rules of real human anatomy. EG: I've allways had problems with those pose packages that included side-side movements of forearms. Forearms don't go sideways. That would break the joint.
    Still looking foreward to release. Looking more and more foreward to that monster, you've created. ;-)

You mean the double one? hehehe

Yep PE will definitely come with a very elaborate manual, hopefully also a fun one, but I also have a few other tricks to help people with using PE.

Also I will have to be very clear about limits and when to use them. PE out-of-the-box will come with forced limits because of this issue that many people don't know how to pose a human. That part I will enforce in the beginning as much as possible (afterwards it is at own risk). I've always used limits in my scenes so I won't feel sorry for people that will struggle with limits lol (that said, PE's limits are crazy flexible. They're just there to stop you from killing the girl). I will obviously provide a whack of poses too. BUT I only realized that cycling Poser's IK doesn't work properly with limits on!! Poser requires the arm to be able to move side-side even if it doesn't really result in any side-side movement. So I will provide a pose file that releases the limits. Sigh.

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis
    Good point on setting the limits to believable values. It is one of the many things I always do on new figures. Set the limits for the forearm, but also on the knees, toes and fingers.

The best way to get all surprises out of the way before release is to have some serious object file and cr2 digging beta testers.

It is textures you see, and it is textures you render.
    It is the rig that bends and the morphs that make a figure usable, but it all starts (or ends) with a technically sound obj file and a solid UV-Map.

Agreed on the IK issue. Poser does strange things from time to time with them ON or OFF in an animation. LOL.

• @erogenesis Speaking of posing, May I suggest Project Estart out with a pack of at least 10-20 common everyday poses like hands on hip, arms crossed, walking, running, and sitting. just to name a few. Also see if you can get Nerd to show you how to make a walk for her in the Walk Designer wearing heels.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark18941
    LOL. Earl, you want "everyday" posed women to wear high heels? LOL.
    I can see it right before me : Ironing in high heels, vacuum cleaning in high heels.
    Doing the laundry in high heels. LOL.

LOL. I thing Ero is more the "downblouse" person. LOL.

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters
    Ahaa, I found her name : Extravagantia ! LOL.

• @vilters Women wear heels, Tony. Everyday.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark18941 said in Project e:

@vilters Women wear heels, Tony. Everyday.

hehehe, not really true, because they are a pain in the butt. For most of us .. ;)

• @eclark18941 said in Project e:

@erogenesis start out with a pack of at least 10-20 common everyday poses

20 ONLY??? I do want PE to succeed! No there's going to be WAY more than that. lol!

@eclark18941 said in Project e: Also see if you can get Nerd to show you how to make a walk for her in the Walk Designer wearing heels.

The comic version of PE seems to work in walk designer. Should be doable. Heels? hmm (I hate heels) I'll try.

@vilters said in Project e:

@vilters
    Ahaa, I found her name : Extravagantia ! LOL.

hehehe ;) excelsior, Excalibur...

@Ladonna said in Project e:

@eclark18941 said in Project e:

@vilters Women wear heels, Tony. Everyday.

hehehe, not really true, because they are a pain in the butt. For most of us .. ;)

Lali & co rarely wear heels. They aren't very tactical, bad for the legs and ankles & they look awkward.

• @Ladonna Honest, I see women everyday, and a lot of them are wearing heels.