Poser 11 issues that need to be addressed

• For starters, I'm not bashing or starting flame wars, I would also appreciate the same from anyone that replies. These are just some of the mostly minor issues I have come up with that I would like to see addressed in future updates for Poser11. Though these issues can be a bit of a pain, I have been happily using Poser without an real major issues and have been satisfied with the results and many of the new features.

These are in no particular order:

1: The 'Move Y and Z' and 'Move X and Y' controls partially overlap the main camera control. Often times I try to use the two controls and find that I have to click the area around the palm/fingers of the control. This isn't a huge issue, but when you get below that around the 'wrist', you're still technically on that control, but I seem to grab a hold of the main camera control.
    0_1489612754655_camera.jpg

2: Replacing some textures results in double 'PoserSurface' nodes. Sometimes when I apply a new texture, it will leave the previous PoserSurface node underneath the new one. The issue is that for some reason, Poser treats the old node as the texture, not the one with the textures actually attached to it (image below was created to simulate issue).
    0_1489612777871_texture.jpg

3: Poser does not switch to Materials library when switching to Material tab.

4: Library does not remember last folder opened when relaunching the program. This is especially troublesome in the Materials tab.

5: Deleting items in the library will not actually "delete" until library has been reloaded or in some extreme cases, program restart.

6: Magnets seem to have trouble parenting to the proper figure. This is mostly from magnets loaded from the props library and I have covered that here with no solution: https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/1501/poser-11-loading-preset-magnets-to-wrong-figure , however, I have had magnets completely ignore a certain figure in some rare instances.

7: Poser using up internet bandwidth while rendering. Now I am very particular on what uses my internet bandwidth. I'm not capped on a certain amount, but when I see programs using bandwidth that I don't agree with, it bugs me. In this case, as you see in the image below, Poser does a fine job of being active WHILE rendering. I do not agree with this practice. The other issue is that while the max speed caps out at 1.5Kbs, it will completely block any and all internet usage.

Also, the amount of data downloaded on my system is staggering. As it sits right now, it is currently at 265Megs. I have had Poser since November and have had to restart my system at least a few times for things such as updates, so that amount Poser has downloaded is probably up and over 1gig of data downloaded (NetLimiter does not save this data after a restart). There is also a second related program, ffrender64.exe, that also runs at the same time while rendering, though for some reason, it doesn't show up nearly as often. I understand Poser will access the internet when loading to determine if my key is authentic, but after that it is completely unnecessary and I feel as if I may have some kind of trojan sending data out somewhere.

I have run Poser without a connection to the internet and it seems to run just fine, cementing my thoughts that access to the internet is absolutely not needed and it should not be downloading ANYTHING.
    0_1489613638414_render bandwidth.jpg

8: Poser has had to notify me twice since November that I need to reactivate my key (once being just today). I see no reason for this. I have bought the key, it is authentic, there is no reason for this. If I have installed this on a new system, then I can see a need for it.

If there was anything else, I can't think of it or it wasn't truly a big deal. As I said, I've been having fun with Poser and hope that I am able to continue to do so in the future.

• "4: Library does not remember last folder opened when relaunching the program. This is especially troublesome in the Materials tab."

In the library, klick the three little dots at the bottom. Go to the "Tree" tab. Click "Reopen folders"

1. ffrender64.exe is just the Firefly executable. It shows up if you render with firefly.

• For issue #2 With Poser 11 you can now have multiple shaders. When you put in the new one you need to go back and in the upper left are two check boxes, select the one you want. That is so you can have a Poser surface with one shader set for Firefly and the other for Superfly. The one that is used is dependent on which render engine and which of the check boxes is active.

• for #1 it is much easier to just press the space bar + left click (anywhere) to move xy than trying to left click on the hand and zoom with scroll wheel instead of move yz.

• @n-i-c-l-a-s said in Poser 11 issues that need to be addressed:

1. ffrender64.exe is just the Firefly executable. It shows up if you render with firefly.

It shows if you render with superfly too, I'd expected a different exe but it looks like the one does both.

• @amethystpendant
    I would have expected a different exe, too. But I did not try it before posting, so thanks for correcting this

• 8: Poser has had to notify me twice since November that I need to reactivate my key (once being just today). I see no reason for this. I have bought the key, it is authentic, there is no reason for this. If I have installed this on a new system, then I can see a need for it.

http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-pro-11-system-requirements.html

You have a choice between online and offline activation.
    You will have a 7 day grace period before both initial and activation refresh become mandatory.
    Feature set is limited to standard version during the initial (first) grace period if activation has not occured.
    We offer activation on 3 machines/OS installations concurrently.
    We still have our 'like a book' policy. If you purchase one seat, one person can use the software at one time. What is different now is that you can install and activate on up to three machines or OS installations.
    Need a fourth activation? Deactivate one of the first three through the Smith Micro Graphics License Manager here: https://pgportal.smithmicro.com/#!/product-licenses
    You may request permanent activation capability for your license through the Smith Micro Graphics License Manager here: https://pgportal.smithmicro.com/#!/product-licenses
    If you'd like to reset your permanent activation, you can do so through Smith Micro technical support here: https://support.smithmicro.com
    Please make sure to deactivate from within Poser via Help > Deactivate License… before swapping hardware or performing an OS re-installation.

There is a Permanent Activation option, but if you select that, we can not reset that Key, so you will lose any Activations used with a System Crash that requires a system restore.

If you opt for Permanent Activation, make sure all systems are deactivated first that may have been activated.

NOTE: If online, the Activation Renewal is automatic. You should not see it occur.

5: Deleting items in the library will not actually "delete" until library has been reloaded or in some extreme cases, program restart.

The Library in Poser is not a File Manager. To remove things from your system, you need to use the Operating System File Management. If they are not disappearing, try Refreshing the folder. It may just be a screen redraw and the Refresh option should take care of that.

3: Poser does not switch to Materials library when switching to Material tab.

Unlike earlier versions of Poser, you do not need to be in the Material Room to use Materials.

This switch was turned off when this change was made to the application. If you and other users think it should still be on, please let us know.

For 6 and 7, please contact support.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ratscloset said in Poser 11 issues that need to be addressed:

The Library in Poser is not a File Manager. To remove things from your system, you need to use the Operating System File Management.

My experience is not consistent with this statement and the claim that you have to go to the OS is not evident to me. When I use the Poser Library to delete a content item (with the "-" button) the item file, its png, and its xmp are all really deleted from the underlying file system, AND the UI no longer shows that item.

Are we all talking about the same thing here or no? What SR ?

EDIT:

I did notice that the deleted item remains visible in the item details panel. This is a bug, however harmless. Upon selecting anything else it goes away.

I do not believe this behavior (dangling details) was evident in the previous library, the one I wrote.

• Poser Ambassadors

@cujoe_da_man:

Poser using up internet bandwidth while rendering. Now I am very particular on what uses my internet bandwidth. I'm not capped on a certain amount, but when I see programs using bandwidth that I don't agree with, it bugs me. In this case, as you see in the image below, Poser does a fine job of being active WHILE rendering. I do not agree with this practice. The other issue is that while the max speed caps out at 1.5Kbs, it will completely block any and all internet usage.

I am pretty sure you're mistaken in calling this "Internet" bandwidth. The renderer, FFRender64.exe, is a separate process and must communicate its real-time progress to the main UI in the main poser.exe application, as well as check if it should terminate early. I'm pretty certain this is performed using loopback TCP communications, just as the library does, talking only to "localhost". Communications to localhost are, by definition, NOT internet traffic, and do not consume even your local wifi. No packets leave your system.

Another tiny part of the traffic is Poser checking to see if you're violating your EULA by running two copies with the same license on different computers within your local area network. This, too, is not internet traffic, but is confined to your LAN.

Another tiny part of the traffic is Poser Pro checking up on queue manager instances. For the one on the same computer, this is localhost, and for those on other computers it is strictly LAN traffic. None of this is internet.

• Poser Ambassadors

@cujoe_da_man

There is also a second related program, ffrender64.exe, that also runs at the same time while rendering, though for some reason, it doesn't show up nearly as often.

Again, ffrender64 is used for out-of-process rendering, so if you do queue manager or background rendering, this is not done in poser.exe. It is how you're able to do two things at the same time.

If you render directly within the main application, then you will not be running ffrender, because poser.exe is doing the rendering. Which is why it is locked up and you can't use it.

• Poser Ambassadors

@cujoe_da_man said in Poser 11 issues that need to be addressed:

Also, the amount of data downloaded on my system is staggering. As it sits right now, it is currently at 265Megs.

This has to be a typo. My SmithMicroDLM folder is currently sitting at 40+ GB. That's Giga with a G, not Mega with an M.

Just the main Poser install is over 650 MB. I understand that all software today is shit and I used to make real programs with complex abilities that were smaller than 1 MB. But the compiler tools we use today are what they are and all programs are pretty much 100 times bigger than they should be. This is not SM's problem, it's everybody in the whole software industry.

Meanwhile, the content files occupy still more GBs. They are, however, compressed about as well as they can be. I should know, since I work for PKWARE, the inventor of the zip file format.

Anyway if you're concerned about bytes downloaded, then there isn't anything SM can do about it. It only fetches the components you ask for and is about as efficient as is possible.

As for bytes on disk, you're free to remove all the "installed" content after you've installed it, so long as you understand you'll need it back if you re-install.

Personally I just keep all of it because I'm a beta user and I need to be able to go back to something from a year ago and find out if I'm seeing an old problem or a new one when I discover a problem.

I have 3500 GB of disk on my system so I hardly care about 40.

• Poser Ambassadors

Poser has had to notify me twice since November that I need to reactivate my key (once being just today). I see no reason for this. I have bought the key, it is authentic, there is no reason for this. If I have installed this on a new system, then I can see a need for it.

You're falling into the trap of thinking like a user, not a cheater.

Here's how the cheater does his thing:

Install on machine A. Activate. Disconnect machine A from internet so it can't detect any duplicate installs.
    Install on machine B. Activate. Disconnect machine B from internet ...
    Install on machine C. ...
    Install on machine D. Oops - can't activate any more. Fine - go to web and deactivate machine A, now freeing up another "seat". Activate on D, then disconnect D from internet ...
    repeat infinitely

The periodic requirement that A check its activation is to catch the cheater. If cheater deactivated A, then A needs to stop working until it can get confirmation from the license server that it has a valid "seat".

Again, I write software like this myself. There is no way to manage a fixed number of recyclable seats other than to periodically go back online and verify that the state of the license is the same as it was last time it checked. The license is set up as a "lease", where each computer knows it has until some future date to refresh the lease. If it can't refresh the lease by that date, then the lease expires. This is also an advantage to you, the user. If you have a computer that is turned off forever, then it eventually fails to refresh its lease and the lease expires automatically. You will be able to assign that lease to your next computer without any action on your part.

They do offer permanent activation, without a lease (or rather with an infinite lease), and as stated earlier by ratscloset, such is truly PERMANENT and cannot be deactivated to free up a seat. Now you know why.

• I whole-heartedly agree with you on numbers 1, 4, and 6. Very annoying.

I have still have Poser Pro 2014 on the same computer. And it doesn't have these bugs.

For #1, I do that all the time and I hate it.

For #4, I know library was rewritten for Poser 11, but it needs to have at least the same features as the previous version, not less.

For #6, I get this with 90% of my custom saved magnets. They have worked fine since I saved them with Poser 6.
    I compared the text of the ones that work fine and ones that don't. The only thing I find different is the number that comes after the figure name and colon(:). If I number is 4, the magnets smart parent to the selected figure . If it is higher, they parent to the base figure.

I'm a software developer myself, so I understand things happen, but the very obvious and they need to be fixed.

• Numbers 1 and 3 aren't unique to poser 11. I was back in 2014 yesterday and observed the same problem with number 1 and I think number 3 has been happening since we got the new library, back in 8 I think. 3 is actually helpful for all those mat pose files.

• @redphantom said in Poser 11 issues that need to be addressed:

Numbers 1 and 3 aren't unique to poser 11. I was back in 2014 yesterday and observed the same problem with number 1 and I think number 3 has been happening since we got the new library, back in 8 I think. 3 is actually helpful for all those mat pose files.

Did you make any bets when when you were back in time? Good way to fund a poser habit that :0)

But for Number 3 I wouldn't expect the library to change if I selected the Material room, as more often than not I'm using pose versions of materials.

• @amethystpendant said in Poser 11 issues that need to be addressed:

Did you make any bets when when you were back in time? Good way to fund a poser habit that :0)

I bought a lottery ticket but alas I must have looked up the wrong day because I didn't win.

• Internet has been crap the past couple of days, haven't been able to respond at all. I suppose I should have mentioned also that I have the latest SR update for Poser as well. I kinda take that for granted and forget to mention it.

It looks like someone didn't like the images I posted, so it wiped out all my examples of what I was talking about. I had posted an image showing a screenshot of Netlimiter, a program that monitors all incoming and outgoing traffic and Poser highlighted showing that it is indeed using internet bandwidth as it renders. Here is a link to a re-captured image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pmjt603n58pu8x/netlimiter cap.jpg?dl=0

My original image showed a total of downloaded units at 256MB, but has since been erased after a Windows updated (Netlimiter does not save this info after a restart). My concern was that not only is it using bandwidth while it renders, but I'm well over a full gigabyte of data downloaded and it completely ties up my internet, making opening web pages impossible. At 1.5KB/s speed, this should not be an issue. What is it downloading and where is it storing it and why?

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to understanding networking, I know the basics, but I also know when something is out of place and this does not sit right with me. I had spent a lot of time in the past learning about viruses, malware/adware and protection AND prevention of them, so I like to keep a close eye on things. I think out of all the little issues, this one bugs me the most

• Poser Ambassadors

It looks like someone didn't like the images I posted, so it wiped out all my examples of what I was talking about.

No - there is a problem with the site that just started recently. Some people can't see the images. Others can. I can see all your images right now.

• Poser Ambassadors

I had posted an image showing a screenshot of Netlimiter, a program that monitors all incoming and outgoing traffic and Poser highlighted showing that it is indeed using internet bandwidth as it renders. Here is a link to a re-captured image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pmjt603n58pu8x/netlimiter cap.jpg?dl=0

You are mistaken and I'm a little perturbed you did not respond specifically to what I said, so I'm left wondering if you didn't understand it, or you didn't read it.

Your tool is showing you all TCP traffic, not specifically Internet traffic. Internet means talking on the Internet, which involves leaving your house to talk to computers you don't own or operate.

Look - here is a better tool, one you SHOULD be using to see where connections are from what apps. It's called TCPView and it's free from Microsoft. I highlighted Poser and FFRender for you.

0_1489778584939_upload-aa1286b9-a585-46ba-bfc8-715454d3358d

All the connections are to localhost (which means MY COMPUTER) or to mkewks-czotter8 which is the real host name of MY COMPUTER. Look at the Remote Address column for this information. There are no connections between Poser.exe to the outside world.

In fact we can specifically see that FFRender64 is talking to Poser. Look at FFRender64 local port. It is 4414. Look at second connection of Poser.exe, at the Remote Port. That also is 4414. That means they are talking to each other, entirely within your computer. No messages are going on the Internet from this connection. In fact, no messages are even going on your local area network.

Earlier you noted that it keeps running without Internet access. Exactly! Because it's not Internet traffic at all.

• @cujoe_da_man
    For me, when I'm rendering I also have problems opening web pages. This has nothing at all to do with Poser using the bandwidth, and everything to do with Poser using my CPU at capacity. If you want to test that theory, either switch to GPU processing (may help, may not, depending on how much your browser depends on the GPU... I don't try to watch youtube clips while GPU rendering, for example), or reduce the number of threads being used by your render engine to about half of your capacity. That slows render times but releases computing resources for other tasks.