Text translation

• I have to translate some comic pages where there are many ballon text. As I noticed, if I use batch export I can obtain a txt file with all the text (Write text to file option checked).

The format of such file is:

<<XPage>>
    text of first balloon

text of second balloon

I was wondering if there's a way to import from such text file. It would be easy translate the balloon text in another language.

I tried using "Story Editor" (Menu Story/Open Story editor) because I have noticed that text box have exactly the same sequence and format of exporte file text. Copy is allowed on the whole text, but paste is allowed only on a single text box.

There are other ways, like exporting pages as JPG without text (void balloons) and then using CSP or other program to put text. I just search a way more productive.

• There's no simple one click way of doing this. Your options would be to copy each text block from the translated file and pasting it into the text box of the Story Editor (or directly into the balloon on the canvas) or copy a whole page into one text box and splitting the blocks of text up. With the latter option you would have to move the text blocks on the canvas to position them over the balloons. Of course, if you placed your balloons on the same layer as your text then you pretty much have to go with the first option or you need to redo all of your balloons for the translation.

• At the moment my personal workflow is:

1 - starting from my-story-ITA.cmc;
    2 - export every page in JPG (100% quality) without text, exporting text on txt file;
    3 - pass txt file to translation service (my friend :-D);
    4 - create a new story project my-story-ENG.cmc with the same pages of original;
    5 - importing (batch process) JPG files in my-story-ENG.cmc pages
    6 - open my-story-ENG.cmc Story Editor;
    7 - copy/paste entire page from txt file to first void box of corresponding page;
    8 - place text in the right paces;
    9 - repeat 7, 8 for each page;

The problem is that in 7 step it takes Tahoma font as default every time and vertical text as default (japan). The only walkaround I found is to put a text inside the page somewhere with the right font (and orizontal option), and paste text in such box.

Hope It's celar because my english is not so good... sorry!

• When you have your text pasted, open the text tool and hold shift and click in the text box (highlighting it blue). Then right click and select Use Tool Properties (or whatever it is - I'm not near my CSP setup).

Also, in Preferences there is an option to use the selected tool properties for text. Check that and have the text tool selected when pasting.

• As far as your workflow goes, you could save your Story file to another folder called Translation or something so you would have two story files - one in the original language and a duplicate that will be translated. It would save the trouble of importing all of your pages. Also, if you keep your balloons separate from your text layers (they would still behave as linked) you could just drop all of your text into the Story Editor.

In File>Preferences>Edit Text (can't remember if that's the one - it's the last one on the left) you're going to use Selected Text Tool Properties and for How to Divide use Double Line Space to Break (again, can't remember the actual terms).

When you make your translations, have the space between text boxes divided using two Returns (Enter - Enter) so you have a two line break. When you open the text editor be sure to have your text tool selected and copy and paste your text from the whole page onto one text box. Delete the rest of the original language text boxes.

When you go back to your page, you will see all of your text in the left hand corner, horizontal and separated. Drag the texts onto the balloons using the Object tool.

• @garlam said in Text translation:

....select Use Tool Properties (or whatever it is - I'm not near my CSP setup)

It'a apply tools property set.

And it works! Many thanks

Also, in Preferences there is an option to use the selected tool properties for text. Check that and have the text tool selected when pasting.

This works too.

• @garlam said in Text translation:

As far as your workflow goes, you could save your Story file to another folder called Translation or something so you would have two story files - one in the original language and a duplicate that will be translated. It would save the trouble of importing all of your pages.

Yes, true, I was trying only to keep one and only one master. I just wondering pro and cons duplicating the whole project or using my method that keep one master only.

Also, if you keep your balloons separate from your text layers (they would still behave as linked) you could just drop all of your text into the Story Editor.

Well, I don't understand how to do it. :-)

In File>Preferences>Edit Text (can't remember if that's the one - it's the last one on the left) you're going to use Selected Text Tool Properties and for How to Divide use Double Line Space to Break (again, can't remember the actual terms).

Yes, found!

When you make your translations, have the space between text boxes divided using two Returns (Enter - Enter) so you have a two line break. When you open the text editor be sure to have your text tool selected and copy and paste your text from the whole page onto one text box. Delete the rest of the original language text boxes.

Yes, default is two times Return

When you go back to your page, you will see all of your text in the left hand corner, horizontal and separated. Drag the texts onto the balloons using the Object tool.

Right! I have only to move text in the right place!.

More: duplicating project and copy/paste every single text box will keep akso position, but is a bit annoying!

• @garlam

More! I discover that if you click on more than one text boxes in the story editor with "shift + left mouse button" (let the boxes became blue) - for example all the boxes of a page - then you can paste corresponding text (keeping two lines separation) simply right clicking and "Paste". You will have your new text in the exact original position!

• @ccorsani said in Text translation:

@garlam

More! I discover that if you click on more than one text boxes in the story editor with "shift + left mouse button" (let the boxes became blue) - for example all the boxes of a page - then you can paste corresponding text (keeping two lines separation) simply right clicking and "Paste". You will have your new text in the exact original position!

I've never had to try this but it's certainly good to know that this works.

• @ccorsani said in Text translation:

I was trying only to keep one and only one master. I just wondering pro and cons duplicating the whole project or using my method that keep one master only.

If you have your lettering in a lettering folder, you could keep a single master with one language in one folder and translations in their own folders. I don't know how difficult this would be for those who letter within each panel.

• @garlam The biggest problem is that when you have to renderer one lang, you need to visit each page anche let visible/un-visible the right folder.

• You could create an action that would do it as a batch process so long as you have your layer folders all named correctly.

• @garlam SO I can set ITA folder, ENG folder and FRA folder, for example and activate/deactivate by "auto action" using the name. That is interesting. You need to organize text in the right way, of course.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.