How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3

• @Miss-B Not sure what happened when making those mats. Just load your texture and bump maps where they need to be and you should be fine.
    0_1490990682491_Eye material.jpg

• @ghostship OK, will try that. Meanwhile, since that texture it was prompting me for was a VW (Virtual_World), I just tried one of the eye mats for one of her Dawn characters, Monica, and it looks more natural. I suspect the Bump setting is a bit low, but at least the Sclera isn't so bright white and flat looking.

Not perfect, but a whole lot better than what I had before. I did have to unplug the Alternate_Specular node, but other than that, I did very little tweaking.

Dawn Closeup 2

• @caisson said in How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3:

IIRC -PBR terms- surface of eye will have about 4% reflectance& low roughness. With physical surface use low specular eg 30 30 30 plus roughness at 0.03 or similar. Bump also important for bulge of cornea. Sorry on phone as away can't post screens :(

Thank you. I will be adding this to my notes.

• @Miss-B Here is another example, again using my eye shader. This time I made a texture map from eye images downloaded from the internet. that funky ring around the pupil is the pupil geometry.

0_1490994478241_Internet Eye.jpg

• I think one of the issues is that the eyeballs are not getting shadows from the lids. they should be darker near the lids but that is not happening. Probably has to do with some minimum geometric distance from the lids to the eyeball that is too small to make a shadow.

• @ghostship I'm definitely missing reflections, and the 2 infinite lights I'm using in that scene are on either side of her, not in front, where they would reflect on her eyes.

I'm going to be playing with your shader again, and see where it takes me. At least now I feel as if I'm getting closer, which is a big improvement as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with you about the lack of shadow. That would show up a lot in a closeup, but not sure how noticeable it would be with a full body render. Still, something to consider.

• @Miss-B said in How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3:

@ghostship I'm definitely missing reflections, and the 2 infinite lights I'm using in that scene are on either side of her, not in front, where they would reflect on her eyes.

I'm going to be playing with your shader again, and see where it takes me. At least now I feel as if I'm getting closer, which is a big improvement as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with you about the lack of shadow. That would show up a lot in a closeup, but not sure how noticeable it would be with a full body render. Still, something to consider.

the only thing I use infinite lights for is the sun.

• @ghostship I wanted to try this particular set, as it's the one jura said he uses for a lot of his "studio" type of renders, so he uploaded his setup so I could play with it. I couldn't imagine how to get such even lighting with only 2 lights.

In any case, and more to the point of your comment, I just did a render using your shader, and even though I could see a slight whitening of her eyes in Preview (I've only got an integrated CPU), it rendered fine. Then I decided to render it with your Studio + Hair lights from your Portrait Lights set. I happen to like that one, and though it's generally brighter, the main light, again, is off to the side, so I'm going to try with another light set that has at least one light closer to the front of the scene. Oh, and Dawn doesn't have a separate Sclera mat zone, so I applied your setup to her Eyes mat zone, because yours didn't really add much, and it seems OK. I had meant to ask you which mat zone you applied that too. Obviously V4 has the separate mat zone, which is why you set it up that way.

Here's a comparison of her right eye with the 2 different light sets.

Eye Shader Comparison

• @Miss-B Dawn's eye maps are all on one image so use the Iris shader for the eyes, iris and pupil. Use the eye surface shader for the cornea.

• @Miss-B

Here are two quick renders only 45 samples with my eye/glass shader,which is very simple and I applied this simple thing only on Cornea
    alt text

alt text

For lighting I've used single Area light and Infinte light with 35-45% intensity and shadows enabled

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @ghostship said in How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3:

@Miss-B Dawn's eye maps are all on one image so use the Iris shader for the eyes, iris and pupil. Use the eye surface shader for the cornea.

Ahhh, OK. Thanks. ~makes a note~

• @jura11 said in How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3:

@Miss-B

Here are two quick renders only 45 samples with my eye/glass shader,which is very simple and I applied this simple thing only on Cornea

For lighting I've used single Area light and Infinte light with 35-45% intensity and shadows enabled

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Thank you Jura. I'm going to be playing with this more, until I'm totally satisfied that I have a basis to work from when rendering with SuperFly. Between you and Ghostship, I have made "some" progress. ~smile~

• OK, now I'm getting somewhere!!

Thanks to your last comments Ghostship and Jura about placing the "shine" part on the Cornea mat zone, I NOW have shine on Dawn's eyes.

Dawns Eyes

I'm sure I can improve on this, but at least I know where to start. Thank you both, and everyone else who's responded in this thread. It has definitely been enlightening. ~grin~

• @Miss-B If I modify one of the textures that come with dawn and post it up is that against my EULA? It says on Dawn's description that freebee's are not ok.

• @ghostship I would think it would be. Of course, I'm no expert on such things, even though I worked for a major NY law firm for 40 years, but if it says no freebies allowed, I would probably take it to mean, no go.

If you want, I can ask someone (privately) on the forum. Just let me know what you mean by "modifying".

• @Miss-B I just found this website for a medical camera maker. I'll see what I can do with the images.

http://www.milesresearch.com/main/sclera.asp

• Ok here is what I got. Looks pretty good in my renders.Hopefully the forum wont mangle the image.

0_1491029602866_DawnEyeExperiment 1.jpg

• @ghostship That looks pretty good. You want to be able to use this as a default map for the Sclera for Dawn? Is this what you were referring to when you mentioned modifying the textures? Just trying to get a sense of what you were referring to.

• @Miss-B I Photoshopped this from images I downloaded. Just plug this into my shader and this should work for you.

• @ghostship said in How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3:

@Miss-B I Photoshopped this from images I downloaded. Just plug this into my shader and this should work for you.

So then this was created with one of the images you found on that site you linked to, and not with Dawn's default textures? I'm just trying to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. ~wink~