How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3

• @ghostship OK, I plugged into the Texture Map node, and after a very quick render, it looks good, but am I correct in assuming I would need to have separate copies for each color of eyes I want? Changing the Diffuse color doesn't work once the Texture Map node is plugged in, even though you have a DiffuseBsdf with the same color in your Compound_3 node.

I think in one of your earlier posts you mentioned something about plugging an hsv2 node between the Compound node and the Texture_Map node. I'm going to try to see if that works.

Edited to Add: YES, that did the trick. That'll certainly make it easier than having to have separate maps for each color I want to use. ~grin~

• Here's a quick render I did. At first I also added the hsv2 to the Eyes and Pupil setups, but when I rendered the Sclera was red too, which would work for a nice Vampire render. ~wink~ Then I removed it from the Eyes and Pupil setups, and with just using the hsv2 plugged in with the Iris setup, this is what I wound up with.

Dawn Blood Eyes

I just can't figure out what is making the outer corner of her right eye look pinkish. It might be the lighting, but I don't think so. Any ideas?

• @Miss-B yes that eye texture was made from images from that web site.

you'll want to use iris smoothing on Dawn's eyes.
    0_1491078386101_Dawn Iris Smooth.jpg

• @ghostship Ohhh, forgot that's there. Thanks for the reminder.

• @Miss-B

Please use this light setup and change the HDR map for this which is included there

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao6qwys5qc6kqby/Studio Light setup.zip?dl=0

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @jura11 Thanks Jura. I think I downloaded a light set of yours before, but this one may be different. I'll certainly check it out. ~smile~

• @ghostship Well I went and opened a copy of your Iris mat file, and found the two recalcitrant textures Poser keeps prompting me for.

Missing Texture Maps

• @Miss-B said in How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3:

@ghostship Well I went and opened a copy of your Iris mat file, and found the two recalcitrant textures Poser keeps prompting me for.

Missing Texture Maps

I think we have just found a bug. When I made that mat I cleared out both of the texture maps and made new ones and then saved the mat file.

I just this minute loaded the texture and threw out the old texture maps and created new empty ones and saved the file again. When I ope the new file in a text editor they still have the reference to those texture maps.!?!?!?!?!?

• @ghostship that shader is just an old version of my free shader. Just load that and set the roughness to .9 and plug in a couple of maps to the diffuse and bump ports and you got the same thing.

• @ghostship OK. I just thought it funny that it would have a reference to a particular set of maps when there's no reason to assume everyone's going to have them.

Anyway, I saved the copy I opened last night without the references to those 2 maps, and I just opened it to check, and they're empty now. I used D3D's Poser File Editor, rather than a plain text editor, so maybe that's the difference.

This is what I have now:

Missing Maps 2

• @ghostship said in How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3:

I think we have just found a bug. When I made that mat I cleared out both of the texture maps and made new ones and then saved the mat file.

I just this minute loaded the texture and threw out the old texture maps and created new empty ones and saved the file again. When I ope the new file in a text editor they still have the reference to those texture maps.!?!?!?!?!?

Well, I just tried the new Iris mat file I saved last night, and it works fine, without prompting me for the texture I don't have. I had edited those two references to read NO_MAP, and now I'm getting empty nodes, so I can just add the texture and bump maps.

I think I'm going to save a separate Iris mat setup for Dawn so I have the nice texture map you posted automatically. That way I can also plug in Dawn's default bump map as well. ~wink~

If you would like a copy of the edited Iris mat for your upload at ShareCG, let me know, and I'll zip it up for you.

• Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick, but if you edit only those highlighted lines, the image file references will still be there, tucked away in the shader tree section. The textureMap etc. lines are there for compatibility with Poser 4; the node-based materials used in later versions have another entry for the image maps in the appropriately named Image_Map node. I don't know what repercussions there might be from editing one entry and not the other, but it seems best not to do it if you want to avoid weirdness - and we all know how good Poser is at Weirdness. ;)

• @englishbob Actually, I went through the shader tree nodes specifically for that reason, and I didn't see any other references to specific texture maps. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have tried it, or I would've done a full find and replace, though I'm not sure if the PFE has that ability.

• @Miss-B said in How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3:

... I didn't see any other references to specific texture maps.

Then it sounds as if the Weirdness has caught up with you already. :o Apart from old-style Poser 4 files, I haven't seen a library file that didn't have a shader tree section which duplicated the textureMap and other lines. Poser saves that information automatically, or so I thought. I haven't found a way to stop it, other than using a script - I think Netherworks has a utility which saves backward-compatible files.

I would've done a full find and replace, though I'm not sure if the PFE has that ability.

It's under the Edit menu. D3D has called it Search, but in fact it can do find and replace very well. I wish some text editors had such a comprehensive F&R, in fact!

• @englishbob said in How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3:

@Miss-B said in How to get rid of glossy white alien eyes from EZSkin3:

I would've done a full find and replace, though I'm not sure if the PFE has that ability.

It's under the Edit menu. D3D has called it Search, but in fact it can do find and replace very well. I wish some text editors had such a comprehensive F&R, in fact!

Ohhhhh, thanks for that, as I was looking at all the menus and didn't see any reference to that type of function. Good to know.

As far as having multiple levels of texture references, yes, that's what I'm used to seeing as well, which is what prompted me to check all levels, since there are 3 separate Compound Nodes in Ghostship's shader. The lower levels had shader trees, but in each case it stated NO_MAP for all. It was only the top-most level that the references were intact. Strange for sure.

I also opened a copy in my NoteTab for the heck of it and did a search, and there was nothing else, so that too confirmed for me the single reference to the texture and bump maps.

• @Miss-B I did what I should have done in the first place - downloaded Ghostship's materials and looked at them myself. Unsurprisingly, my PFE shows the same thing as yours: maps in one place and not the other. ;)

There may be a lurking bug as Ghostship says. The other day, I saved a material temporarily to transfer it to another scene, and the material that loaded wasn't the same as the one I'd saved. I was in the middle of something so I didn't stop to investigate - if I see this again I'll keep the files and have a look.

• @englishbob I had exactly the same issue for the same reason and just assumed I'd selected the wrong source, maybe I hadn't!

• @amethystpendant I just re-checked my library but I couldn't find anything. Either I over-wrote the offending file (which is what I remember doing), or the problem fixed itself after I re-started Poser.

Let's keep our eyes open for this! 8-)

• @amethystpendant @englishbob Thanks guys, I'll also keep an eye out. I had just opened a copy and then saved it, deleted Ghostship's original Iris Mat, and renamed mine to what his was.

Needless to say, if there is a bug hiding somewhere, it could pop up again, so posting about it here will be good for everyone down the road.

• Sorry to bring up this old thread again but I just realized something about the pupils and needed to ad this.

Sometimes the light hits the pupils and you can see the disk inside the eye. This should not happen as the pupil is just a hole in the iris. To fix this I set up a cycles root with nothing plugged into it for the pupil. This will work for figures with separate pupil zones. I'll post up an image of what it looks like when my render is out of the oven.