Poser 11 freezing and crashing

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi,
    I am having problems with P11 freezing when I do a GPU render.
    sometimes to blue screen
    Also if it is running very long it will crash.
    The problem may not be Poser.
    Here are other problems:
    Firefox frequently crashes after 2 minutes
    Desktop Window manager frequently crashes
    Wacom occasionally freezes
    My computer is not a happy camper.
    I did update NVIDIA drivers today but this crashing/freezing has been going on for over a week.
    Any ideas or advice will be really appreciated.
    Cheerio
    lululee

Win 7 Ultimate
    GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 2320 CPU
    3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
    Memory 32.0 GB
    64 bit operating system

• @lululee when GPU rendering make sure that Branch Path Tracing is unchaecked. You'll get a crash when it tries to render transmapped hair if BPT is checked.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship said in Poser 11 freezing and crashing:

@lululee when GPU rendering make sure that Branch Path Tracing is unchaecked. You'll get a crash when it tries to render transmapped hair if BPT is checked.

Hi ghostship,
    Yes I do have the Branch Path Tracing unchecked. I am concerned at this point that there is something wrong with my computer.
    I am not having the render problem with some of the other render settings.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee OK, can you post your render setting that make it crash?

• Make sure the cooling fan(s) on your grapics card/cpu is working and is not overheating.

• Also may want to test for "bad" memory issues.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/check-for-bad-memory/

• @lululee
    I see you mention a Wacom.
    I had problems with (among others) Poser and my Wacom Pen and Touch. My fingers holding the pen caused un-intended messages that lead Poser astray. This was fixed in the latest Poser update, but I still have this with Marvelous Designer now and then.
    Also check if the cable of the Wacom is firmly fixed. My Wacom has a micro-USB on the tablet side and this sometimes gets loose. If you use a wireless version are you sure the batteries are OK and no other user using same channel?

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi,
    Thanks so much for everyone's help.
    Ghostship,

![alt text](0_1491170429547_Render-Settings.jpg image url)
    Here are the render settings that cause Poser to freeze,crash,or bluescreen depending.

rlowens68:
    I have a very large case with I believe 2 fans plus up here in Canada it was snowing yesterday so I don't
    think it is overheating. thank you for the memory test link. I did the test and all is well with the memory.

F_Verbaas:
    I checked my wacom usb cable. It seems to be snug.

While I was writing this I had opened Poser to get render setting screen shots but I wasn't rendering.
    I had a blue screen crash. My concern is it could be hardware problem.

The computer's history
    Last January I wanted to be able to render Superfly faster so I got a GeForce GTX 980 Ti video card.
    The video card was quite large so the computer store told me I needed a larger case so I got a really
    big case with fans and a power supply. I still felt I was not able to render fast enough.
    The store told me I needed a faster processor:
    intel core i7-4790 Quad core processor
    GIGABYTE GA -z97-hd3 Socket1150 intel z97 chipset

I have not as yet upgraded the processor and I am running:

Win 7 Ultimate
    GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
    Memory 32.0 GB
    64 bit operating system
    Motherboard Asus Z97-K/CSM or equivalent

This freezing/crashing started about 1 month ago and is getting worse. I don't know if it is the processor
    or maybe a hard drive problem.
    I just got a 2 tb hard drive and did a fresh install of windows. When my friend put it into the computer he
    got a blue screen crash so we put the original drive back in. I have no clue what the problem is.
    I did a malware cleanse and there were no malicious threats.
    Any advice would be truly appreciated. I am totally over my head with this and really miss Poser.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• Poser Ambassadors

What power supply do you have in your pc?
    The 980ti is a 250W graphics card and will use that with GPU rendering
    It could be you are at the limit or above it

• @lululee

Hi there

Can you check Event Viewer if there are any errors?

I would suspect few things as @wimvdb said,can be PSU although GPU in rendering won't eat as much 250W, have run like Titan X SC Maxwell with 1469MHz OC and that card in rendering usually eats around 170w, only in Folding@home there TDP is way above 250W(running custom VBIOS with higher TDP limit) but you want at least 550-650w PSU

Have run 760W PSU with GTX1080 and Titan X SC Maxwell both OC and CPU 5820k OC to 4.5Ghz and no issues at all

Can you check if you are running in separate process rendering?

Can you check HDD as well, I would try HD Tune or CrystalDiskInfo

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

And download this as well there, its great app which allows you to check temps and you don't have to install it at all, just create folder for this and run from this

http://rh-software.com

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @lululee said in Poser 11 freezing and crashing:

I had a blue screen crash. My concern is it could be hardware problem.

The computer's history
    Last January I wanted to be able to render Superfly faster so I got a GeForce GTX 980 Ti video card.
    The video card was quite large so the computer store told me I needed a larger case so I got a really
    big case with fans and a power supply. I still felt I was not able to render fast enough.
    The store told me I needed a faster processor:
    intel core i7-4790 Quad core processor
    GIGABYTE GA -z97-hd3 Socket1150 intel z97 chipset

I have not as yet upgraded the processor and I am running:

Win 7 Ultimate
    GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
    Memory 32.0 GB
    64 bit operating system
    Motherboard Asus Z97-K/CSM or equivalent

This freezing/crashing started about 1 month ago and is getting worse. I don't know if it is the processor
    or maybe a hard drive problem.
    I just got a 2 tb hard drive and did a fresh install of windows. When my friend put it into the computer he
    got a blue screen crash so we put the original drive back in. I have no clue what the problem is.
    I did a malware cleanse and there were no malicious threats.
    Any advice would be truly appreciated. I am totally over my head with this and really miss Poser.
    Cheerio
    lululee

It sounds like a jerk thing to say but I would ignore the questions about render settings, you said this was happening outside of Poser and crashes were happening in Firefox and when you switched your HD to your friends computer it crashed his comp. Obviously it's a fundamental hardware issue that causing this, and it sounds like it's the hard drive that's the culprit.

I have a neat program that I use in the rare occasion that my comp needs a hard reset called "WhoCrashed". http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed As long as you have crash dumps enabled, it will record hardware/driver crashes for you. Though it's reporting is simple, it's a lot easier than going through the event log or trying to debug the dump files with the ms developers kit nonsense.

Though a more direct route to checking your HD for errors would be using the built in error checking test in Windows. Depending on the HD's manufacturer, they will probably have their own HD diagnostic tools. WD has Data LifeGuard: http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en which is actually a very good program that reads the S.M.A.R.T. system. Keep an eye out for bad sectors.

If it's not the HD and you think it could be your system RAM, you can always use after you try the Windows test from the link above. Memtest, has been around for ages and I had to use it years ago when a dual 16GB kit was giving me blue screens constantly. I'd let it run for about 8 hours or so because sometimes it can take a lot of cycles to finally catch the issue.

Though the question about the PS is a very good one. If you're PS isn't up to handling the 980Ti you'll have the instability issues as well, but that doesn't explain why your friends comp crashed when he used your HD.

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi Everyone,
    I am very thankful for all of the help and links you have given me.
    I have used all of them.
    I've tested:
    *memory tested fine
    *Hard drives tested fine

I downloaded "WhoCrashed" [http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed](link url)
    This is the readout from Who Crashed

On Mon 12/5/2016 5:28:32 PM your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm!nvDumpConfig+0x223463)
    Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF88000BC6034, 0x8, 0xFFFFF88000BC6034, 0x0)
    Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.92
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.92
    Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.92 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google query: NVIDIA Corporation PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Do you know what this means?
    I truly appreciate everyone's help.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee

Hi there

I would personally rather install older drivers like is 376.09 which is probably best driver for rendering right now, unless you have GTX1080Ti where you will need newer drivers

Newer Nvidia drivers are just pain and can cause errors in rendering

Uninstall drivers through the DDU

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

And install 376.09 which should work better in rendering and don't update drivers when they work

And I would check as well Tdrdelay, I use this for changing TDR

http://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=755

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• Poser Ambassadors

@jura11 said in Poser 11 freezing and crashing:

GTX1080
    Hi Jura,
    Wow! This is very strange. I actually have a GTX 1080 Ti but it is showing up as 980 Ti.
    I used to have a 980 Ti but I bought the GTX1080 Ti in Jan 2016. Very strange.
    How would that happen?
    I'm going to take it to the computer store tomorrow.
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee said in Poser 11 freezing and crashing:

@jura11 said in Poser 11 freezing and crashing:

GTX1080
    Hi Jura,
    Wow! This is very strange. I actually have a GTX 1080 Ti but it is showing up as 980 Ti.
    I used to have a 980 Ti but I bought the GTX1080 Ti in Jan 2016. Very strange.
    How would that happen?
    I'm going to take it to the computer store tomorrow.
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Cheerio
    lululee

Hi lululee

Can you try download this

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

And check what you have, yours GTX1080 Ti is 11GB card and old 980Ti is 6GB

Or you can try this if card is detected as should

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

For drivers try 378.78 which should be OK, I didn't tried them

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-378-78-whql-driver-download.html

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @lululee

GTX1080 Ti has bee released 10 March and not sure of they sold you normal GTX1080 rather than Ti as Ti at January hasn't been released at all

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi Jura,
    You're correct. It is a 980 Ti.
    My brain is not at it's best.
    I'll take it in tomorrow and let them fix it.
    First, I'll try those drivers.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee

Hi lululee

Please try install 376.09 as first as these drivers works beautifully on my GPUs tried like GTX1080 or GTX1070 and Titan X SC Maxwell

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi Jura,
    Just installed the drivers.
    Hope this solves my problem.
    I thank you so much for your help.
    Off to try Poser.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• I hope updating the drivers solved it for you. These types of issues are the worst... I hate them so much.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.