Strange effect on material collection

• I must confess I made an experiment without backuping the Document CELSYS folder. I tried to sync such foder between two pc CPS installation trough cloud. It does not work. So I stopped it but on my main workstation (secondary workstation is a laptop) I found this strange effect: as you can see, before I can find materials (I'm not sure there are all the original materials) only after scrolling. Why? How can I fix it?
    alt text

• Looks to me like you corrupted the Materials database. I think the reason for all the empty space is that the database thinks there are a bunch of items before the ones you can finally see, but they now only exist as empty or disassociated entries in the database.

You said you already tried to sync, so did you try "Reset Materials Installed from Cloud"?

Failing that, go to the Maintenance Menu --> Organize Materials (that should look at what materials are actually downloaded on the computer and try to fix the database).

If that doesn't work then try Maintenance Menu --> Reset Materials (that should try to clear and rebuild the database of downloaded materials).

If it's still messed up, quit Clip Studio Paint and try "trashing" the actual database file (technically you just have to move it out of the folder). It is located in:
    Documents --> CELSYS_EN --> CLIPStudioCommon --> MaterialDB --> CatalogMaterial.cmdb
    Restart Clip Studio Paint and it will force rebuild the entire database file from scratch (that can take a while if you had lots of materials installed).

• I agree with your analisys. I will try.

The cloud sync gave me strange issue like rebuilding the environment (probably the cmdb!) every time I launched csp on both workstation. And it was annoying. It would have been nice to have two csp installation mirrored.

Many thanks, I will inform on the result.

• @ccorsani - Celsys calls it a "cloud" but it's really just a downloads website (if you register an account you can see the same stuff from the Clip Studio assets app in a web browser). It's not like Adobe Creative Cloud, which is actual cloud storage with syncing. The Celsys "sync" operation is really just a check against which items from the download site you've downloaded and registered as materials locally, and because it's ultimately local to that computer I don't think you can sync two installations on separate computers.

Using aliased folders I couldn't even get two installations (the Japanese and the English language versions) on the same computer in the same user account to share one set of materials. I have an idea how it might be done by editing a bunch of installation config files I've found. Which might even allow having a shared folder on a network drive, but I haven't actually tried it because - if I'm wrong - I'd probably have to reinstall everything. Would be so much easier if Celsys just added an option in the preferences to POINT to a shared folder.

• Well I simply put my Windows Documents folder (where CSP put materials) in OneDrive Microsoft cloud. The result was that I had exactly the same CELSYS_ENG foldet on my 2 pc but for some reason everytime I launched CSP (on both) the "bulding environment" process started.

• @ccorsani - as far as I've been able to figure out (and if you go look at my blog you'll see just how deep I've waded into hacking the Clip Studio Materials system) the way it works is like this:

There is a "local" user-level Materials folder, which would be the one you copied from your Documents.

There is also a "global" all-users folder. On Windows it is in a hidden folder at C:\ProgramData\CELSYS_EN and there are install config files that would have to be hacked to point CSP somewhere else.

When you start CSP it does a check of installed materials in the local folder against those in the global folder. And by that I mean JUST the materials in the actual "Install" sub-folders in each location have to match. The global folder ONLY has "installed" materials. The local folder has both "installed" and "registered" materials (like the ones you can create yourself).

If there are any installed materials in the local folder that aren't in the global one, it tries to automatically delete them (it literally deletes the files from the local folder, it probably can't do that if the folder is on a cloud drive so it just deletes the entries from the database, which is probably how you wound up with a ton of empty entries in your Materials panel). My guess is that this "check" process doesn't work with network/cloud drives, only local drives.

The reasoning behind this, so far as I can tell, is that on any computer only a "system administrator" account should have permission to install things, especially for all users on that computer. It would be more of a concern in a production environment where you were using licensed materials to make sure no individual users were installing unauthorized materials. The program itself has some permissions to copy and delete files automatically. I'm not yet entirely sure how it handles installs from the Clip Assets site and which local folder(s) they download into or what permissions the user has to have. I'm in the process of investigating it now.

I'm curious, though, whether your two computers are using the same credentials? I would think if they both use the same username and password, and your cloud account uses those credentials too (i.e., you're using a Microsoft account for everything instead of different local user accounts) AND the account has admin privileges, I'd think using OneDrive should theoretically work if the authentication was the same for everything. If any of the accounts are different or have different permission levels, though, it probably wouldn't.

• @OffWorld First of all I follow your blog full of interesting things. Great!

In my case I have the same credential with admin privilege.

Your analisys is very deep, I discover lot of things. Thank you.

The interesting thing is to hack "common.txt" under c:\ProgramData\CELSYS_EN\ClipStudio\InstallPath" to move the "Common" folder under the cloud folder. That probably let things works.

I'm afraid to test it on my working environment!

p.s. as you know in deep CSP do you know if new .clip format is something known (like old .lip format that was SQLight)?

• There are some other install path config files in the global location that might come into play too. Not sure. Like you I'm reluctant to edit them and mess up working installations.

The .clip files are recognized as SQLite by my database browser app, but apparently unlike the old .lip files the new ones are encrypted because it asks me for the encryption key for the file, which of course I don't have.

Incidentally, users in Japan get an actual cloud with 10GB of space. Their version of CSP automatically backs up whatever document they're working on to that cloud storage and they can select it in the Clip Studio asset management app under a section called "Work" that isn't in the English version. For us the only place they get backed up is in our Documents/CELSYS_EN/CLIPStudioPaintData/ sub-folders.

I just installed the Japanese version of the Clip Studio assets app and CSP and noticed that on my Mac it moved the shared "CELSYS" folder from "Documents" to my (hidden) user "Library" folder and created an alias (shortcut) to it in Documents. The English version doesn't do this. While I couldn't get the pre-1.5 versions to share either local or global materials through an aliased "common" folder, maybe that's no longer the case with 1.6.x versions (of course I'm trying something a little different than you are, you're trying to share materials between two installs on two different computers, I'm trying to share materials between two different language installs on the same computer).

If you had a version of CSP installed prior to version 1.5 it also creates an "Install2" folder for the newer version installed materials (the default ones it downloads like the standard "School Girl A," patterns, etc.). However, I just hunted down the actual files and verified that assets downloaded from the Clip Site are treated as user-level registered materials, not installed materials.

They've certainly given me a lot more to explore, that's for sure. Still wish they'd release the rest of the suite in English and give us a full-featured package instead of this hobbled experience.

p.s. and thanks for following my blog ;)

• @OffWorld I used your blog post (the series on 3D characters) as reference for some posts on my blog (with link of cource!) ;-)

I hope Celsys will put japanese and english versions on the same levels.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.