Product Suggestions...

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 - yeah, but time & money :D

• @wimvdb said in Product Suggestions...:

I think VWD can do what you want. It is a 3rd party cloth simulator which can do both prop and conforming hair. With it you can do both animations and stills where the hair reacts to movement, gravity and wind.
    See https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/vwd-cloth-and-hair/114645/

Thanks, it was VWD I was thinking of but don't have poser at the mo and couldn't find it on renderosity (what's new)

@eclark1849 said in Product Suggestions...:

@caisson All the more reason to junk it and start from scratch.

I actually suggested that pre Poser 11, when VWD was just coming out but was ignored :)

Amanda

• @amethystpendant Blender's animation and cloth is open source and free to use.

• Poser Ambassadors

I thought bullet physics was an eventual superior alternative for the cloth room. Certainly it calculates a lot faster.

• Geometry based collisions are not something Bullet 2 is really able to do effectively.
    The speed from Bullet 2, is using hulls to do the collisions, not the actual geometry.
    Bullet 3 (gpu based) can if I remember right.

• Poser Ambassadors

That's why I carefully added the word eventual. The SM lack of follow-up is a perpetual issue.

• I don't think Bullet 3 was done when Bullet was added to Poser, not sure thou.
    It would be nice to have Bullet 3 in Poser, but only if all of it was included.

• @caisson
    Not allowed to touch or dare not touch id hard to say.
    I have seen pieces of legacy code, even made in-house, functioning less than optimal, but touching of which, seen the victims that fell over time, was best avoided like the plague.

• @caisson Does the agreement with Size 8 mean they can never change anything or get out of the agreement?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 - I don't know but I would suspect so. In the years I've been using Poser & reading the various forums there have been loads of requests for improvements to the Hair & Cloth Rooms. I think if those Rooms could be improved they would have been by now; the fact that they haven't changed could mean a bunch of things, but personally I think it's down to the licensing agreements. Just my opinion.

• @caisson I can't find anything online about Size 8. Can anyone help me out?

• Poser Ambassadors

aRtBee did some excellent sleuthing regarding size8 here:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2817155&page_number=9

Once you're in that page, search for the text "size8"

• Poser Ambassadors

Feature requests:

• [1] Networked Superfly rendering of single frame ("still", wallpaper) - distribute buckets across networked remotes (slaves, rendercows). This would greatly speed rendering a big high-quality wallpaper of a complex scene.
    • [2] Micropoly displacement for Superfly (like Firefly has)
    • [3] Pause/Resume Superfly render. This should allow for closing Poser, even shutting down computer, and then resuming rendering in a later session.
    • [4] Particles, using my own imported OBJ and retaining multiple material zones and full material nodework (not just procedurals). We'll need a "life" node. It would be nice to include a sprite function, scattering billboards which always face the active camera.
    • [5] Option to keep imported OBJ separate from a prop/figure when saving. When saving the new prop/figure, a prompt should pop up asking where to save the OBJ.
    • [6] Scatter/paint and drop to surface - to populate my own modeled terrain with plant props/figures.
    • [7] Meta-blobs - good for making splashes, and enables non-modeler users to build things by sticking primitives together.

• Feature requests:

• [1]Instances

• [2] Convert Simple Material Room to adjustable/reusable Shader settings room. Or add one. This means:
      Ajustable: In Advanced room we will have either big adjustable compaund node with all inputs from Simple Room, of we will have the option to mark nodes/inputs inside Adv Room to show it in Simple Room. So non-advanced users will again have option to adjust [complex] materials to their liking.
      Reusable: we can have option to swap entire node trees and not touch the maps and settings. Without Python scripts, non-100% foolproof maps detections, naming conventions and so on, in one click. Well, this would need naming convention for the base parameters, but on the level to call diffuse map diffuse... Assumption: named parameters are conserved in the shader change.

• Irregular shaped area renders. Rather than being having to have a rectangle, it would be nice to be able to trace an odd shaped area to render. Even if angles got squared off to match bucket sizes, it would still cut back on render times when you want to do a quick touch up.

• @redphantom said in Product Suggestions...:

Irregular shaped area renders. Rather than being having to have a rectangle, it would be nice to be able to trace an odd shaped area to render. Even if angles got squared off to match bucket sizes, it would still cut back on render times when you want to do a quick touch up.

And when 'at it' also make option to 'fill in' or 'render over' a previous render. This saves having to combine the two (or more) manually.

• @phdubrov said in Product Suggestions...:

Reusable: we can have option to swap entire node trees and not touch the maps and settings. Without Python scripts, non-100% foolproof maps detections, naming conventions and so on, in one click. Well, this would need naming convention for the base parameters, but on the level to call diffuse map diffuse... Assumption: named parameters are conserved in the shader change.

This can be done now, but with Python, it's what @Snarlygribbly does with EZSkin3 and how I implemented EZBBHair in the stand alone app, that one looked at the current material and harvested the maps, then applied a new material and Identified the maps and swapped the new ones out for the original ones. So it shouldn't be too difficult for SM to implement something similar and say have a three tick option in the library that applied the save material but preserves any maps in the existing material

• @amethystpendant yes, but, not Without Python scripts, non-100% foolproof maps detections, naming conventions
    Problem is that EzSkin-like maps detection relies on PoserSurface structure, vendors scripts for the coloor adjustments rely on the known shader structure and so on.
    Idea is to have universal interface and to decouple shader settings from shader tree. And to have clean and simple interface for quick adjustments.

• Poser Ambassadors

To really be effective, it isn't just which maps. It's also what scale they used. When using generic tileable image resources, the size of the tiling is specific to each situation and needs to be retained regardless of how the shader is being swapped out. As well, I do some map adjustments using nodes and I'd want those to remain.

Really the material room should be two pages. One page creates inputs that themselves are shader trees - allowing for colors + scaled maps + bias + gain + hsv, etc. The other page should be how the shader calculates its response to the environment, i.e. glass, metal, plastic, paint, clay, etc. That is the page you want to swap shaders with a single click. You also want whatever parameters are in that page to be tied to other copies on other materials, even if the maps are different. For example, the overall shine level of all skin zones, regardless of arm, leg, torso, should be synchronized.

The best way I can think to do that is to add per-figure shader tree pages that, like a compound node, generate outputs. These outputs get a name and can be selected into other shader trees using a new "Input" node.

I'd also like another set that is scene-wide custom outputs, which can be selected and used by name in any shader.

Basically let the user invent new "Variables" and select them just as we select Normal or Position or Frame number in any shader.

• @bagginsbill said in Product Suggestions...:

Really the material room should be two pages. One page creates inputs that themselves are shader trees - allowing for colors + scaled maps + bias + gain + hsv, etc. The other page should be how the shader calculates its response to the environment, i.e. glass, metal, plastic, paint, clay, etc. That is the page you want to swap shaders with a single click. You also want whatever parameters are in that page to be tied to other copies on other materials, even if the maps are different. For example, the overall shine level of all skin zones, regardless of arm, leg, torso, should be synchronized.

Yes. Something like this.