EZCloth Settings

• @amethystpendant said in EZCloth Settings:

@tastiger said in EZCloth Settings:

would it be possible to name the release zips 1,2,3 etc as currently when downloading all one gets is EZCloth.zip and that makes it hard to ascertain which actual file is the latest, I'm only making the point because not everyone is tech savvy enough to check the actual file date.

Hi,

My reason was that there would only be one Zip file so you always got the latest. But after this build I'll look at adding each version / build

Amanda

Thanks for that, all it really needs is the zip file to be renamed each time it is updated to reflect which version it is.

• Okay, I think I've ruled out the cloth Sim using differing values for U & V fold resistance, which is a shame. So I'm just about ready to release version 1.1.

Are there any other things people would like adding, e.g. Import Export settings so we can share. One other thing I thought about was a mesh density value, increase it and it would proportionally reduce density and increase shear and fold resistance.

Also I thought about adding a "Utilities" tab so I could have some of my cloth sim related scripts handy like copy figure to frame1 which copies the bodies x,y & z tran and rotation values to frame 1 which limits movement during a sim. Could also have a run simulation button that does exactly the same as the one in poser :)

Let me know what you think

Oh, one thing I have noticed, is that if you have differing U & V stretch rates things like skirts get nice lateral folds rather than just hanging like a sheet of paper, looks much more realistic.

Amanda

• Thanks for the excellent work, first of all! This is much appreciated. As luck would have it, I've mainly been rendering dragons this week, and hence have had no call for cloth simulation. :)

Being able to share setting via import/export would be very useful.

Your position copying script automates something that I do manually, so that would be handy too.

While I'm all about take, take, take, is it possible for a 'run simulation' button to time the simulation, in the same way that D3D's render scripts do? I tried to put something together myself, when I wanted to evaluate the effects of various settings on simulation time, but I couldn't find a Python method that did what I wanted.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here is my wishlist.

• Yes, Import and Export of presets
    • Ability to select the dynamic groups (with their settings) from within the script (now you have to do that in Poser and copy the current parameters)
    • Run the simulation

Maybe i know a few more for tomorrow

• @englishbob Okay, dragons are cool too :o) I'll see about adding those tomorrow then upload the final version hopefully by the weekend.

@wimvdb I'm afraid you can't select the dynamic group programatically, it just isn't exposed in the API (unless I can work out a way to do it via commands and finding vertex groups in the current actor) Let me have a play.

Amanda

• @englishbob said in EZCloth Settings:

Thanks for the excellent work, first of all! This is much appreciated. As luck would have it, I've mainly been rendering dragons this week, and hence have had no call for cloth simulation. :)

If your dragon has bat-type wings, as most dragons have, simulation of the tissue could give perfect realism.

• Poser Ambassadors

IIRC Swidhelm, a vendor at Rendo, had a dragon for sale some years back that used dynamics on the wing membranes.

• @caisson He did. I think that was his Skywyrm Bull.

• Well, I've got the import working and the GUI sorted for the Export, just need to plumb in the export and start on the utilities, should have RC1 ready by tomorrow night all being well

Amanda

• Okay, EZCloth Settings RC1 is ready for release!

I've added Import
    0_1492182691356_upload-4fc22e6f-0a81-4225-918d-78176e8bff52
    simply click on the ellipses and select the file to import, the list will fill with any available presets and you can select which to include. There is an overwrite existing checkbox that if selected will allow the imported values to overwrite any you already have that have the same name. You can also use the Prepend Preset text box to add a string of text that will be added to the front of the name of the preset you are importing to help prevent collisions.

Similarly, I've added an Export Function
    0_1492182963116_upload-ab584ffc-4a55-4b44-9877-909b74837849
    This works exactly the same but the list are your own presets that you want to export.

Both of these are accessed from the new buttons on the main window
    0_1492183085075_upload-a5a3df4b-21e6-4bb2-b749-6c79cd6dbf61

A new tab has been added "Utilities" to provide quick access to some sort of cloth related functions
    0_1492183177120_upload-fa6f261c-08b2-495e-87ce-0d435a08da6d

The first 2 copy the Rot & Tran of the body and Hip (or the first bone below the body if not the Hip (I only tend to use V4 so Hip is the first bone beneath the body. the first looks at the active sim based on the currently selected cloth actor and copies from the last frame of the sim to the first. The second does the same, but ignores the sim and copies from the last frame to the first frame.

Run Simulation, simply runs the current simulation and when finished outputs the time taken in the status bar at the bottom of the window.

Copy Hip to body tran adds the first bones x, y and z translations to the body translations and zeros those on the first bone helping to move the origin back to where it should be if a "GoTo" pose has moved the figures hip instead of the body, bringing back the ability to y rotate the body without going in a wide circle!

The last 2 simply memorise and restore the body translations and rotations. I find this helps if I've positioned my figure and then apply a pose that sets the body trans and rots to zero.

Please let me know if you find any issues, or indeed if you find it helpful, or have suggestions for improvement.

Amanda

• @amethystpendant
    Thank you!
    Looks very promising, with many new features for cloth room control that, to be honest, for me will need some time to sink in.

• I've been thinking, a lot of the clumpiness with this is trying to identify the Simulation, basically PoserPython does not expose the current simulation therefore to get the sim to apply anything to I need to get the current actor and loop through all the simulations until I find the one with that actor as a cloth object. Would it be better to have 2 select lists at the top of the window, one listing all the simulations, when you select the simulation in the first, the second lists all the cloth actors in that simulation (usually only one, but can be multiples) Then when you apply the code selects that actor so the sim becomes the active simulation. When the apply is done I can reselect the previously selected actor. It still isn't perfect but might be better than how it works at the moment.

I can't however select the dynamic group to apply to, this just isn't exposed at all. (unless someone knows a way to get the pane from the au manager, get the widget that is the dynamic group drop down, read the available list and select the one we want?)

• Poser Ambassadors

@amethystpendant Awesome. Thank you so much.

• @amethystpendant . Thank you for sharing

... PoserPython does not expose the current simulation ...

This is the problem I had when I tried to write a simulation timer script. Your idea of searching for it hadn't occurred to me.

Would it be better to have 2 select lists at the top of the window, one listing all the simulations, when you select the simulation in the first, the second lists all the cloth actors in that simulation

This is how svdl's old script works. I thought it rather clunky until I tried to tinker myself, when I began to appreciate why he'd done it that way!

• @englishbob Does the timer suit your needs?

@englishbob Does the timer suit your needs?

Where are my manners? My apologies, I haven't got around to trying the script yet. I definitely will - I think I'm done messing about with dragons now - and I think my next project will involve cloth simulation. But first, Happy Easter, and once again thank you for making this!

@F_Verbaas Thanks for the dynamic dragon wings suggestion, by the way. Noted for future experimentation. "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." :)

• I've now moved on to a project that involves cloth simulation, so I can at last use your script - and it's great to have that ease of setting back again.

The timer is also very useful, and I remember why I wanted it now. Cloth self-collision sends simulation times sky-high.

Thanks again!

• Thank you so much for this!

• @amethystpendant Thanks so much!!