Looking for a procdural tile/wood script for SF.

• I know of the one setup on rendo but when it comes to the material room I'm still completely lost after 8+ years and it's clear that I'm not making my own tiles anytime soon. Besides, the thread didn't seem to have an actual downloadable file in it to use.

I'm looking for a script or shaderthingy like the Ghostship shaders for SF where I can just click it and almost everything is taken care of. A script/shader for dummies like me, if you will.

Thanks.

• @johndoe641 I think with organic stuff like wood flooring it's best to use image maps. You can plug them into my shader if you need them physically correct for reflections.

you might try these guys for decent tiled content. It's not free but these guys know there stuff.

https://www.poliigon.com/

• @ghostship Yeah I have some decent image maps I want to use for the wood grain, but tiles I like the look of those procedural ones that BB showed in his screenshots.
    BTW:Thanks for linking me to that website, there's some really nice products there.

Using your shader setup, once I add the image map, do I just connect it to the Diffuse?

Also, dammit I messed up the thread title and I can't edit it anymore. hahah

• @johndoe641 Image plugs into diffuse, normal plugs into the normal port, bump plugs into the bump, spec maps plug into roughness, etc.

• Poser Ambassadors

Procedural wood generation is a very deep topic. I was never fully satisfied with the patterns and boards I had produced, and so did not publish it.

When I did the furniture props with dreamlandmodels, we found it was just easier to use wood textures with good procedural modification for stain, polish, and a few other effects that didn't depend on the actual pattern.

The shaders I included in those products were very much addressing things that are now completely dealt with in SuperFly with the PhysicalSurface root node. (Or ghostship's shader)

However, if people really want to deal with building 50+ node wood pattern generators, or board generators, I could explain some of those techniques.

I would prefer responding to more specific questions on those topics, though, rather than the whole "how do you simulate wood" thing. I could write 500 pages on the subject, but I'm not going to.

• @bagginsbill said in Looking for a procdural tile/wood script for SF.:

Procedural wood generation is a very deep topic. I was never fully satisfied with the patterns and boards I had produced, and so did not publish it.

I thought this floor was quite good, Ted; I gather from the thread it was a Matmatic script?

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/thread/print/?thread_id=2833252

• @bagginsbill said in Looking for a procdural tile/wood script for SF.:

However, if people really want to deal with building 50+ node wood pattern generators, or board generators, I could explain some of those techniques.

I would prefer responding to more specific questions on those topics, though, rather than the whole "how do you simulate wood" thing. I could write 500 pages on the subject, but I'm not going to.

You don't have time BB, you still need to finish (a) the Uber Hair Shader and (b) publish your Nylon shader :o)

Amanda

• @ghostship said in Looking for a procdural tile/wood script for SF.:

@johndoe641 I think with organic stuff like wood flooring it's best to use image maps. You can plug them into my shader if you need them physically correct for reflections.

you might try these guys for decent tiled content. It's not free but these guys know there stuff.

https://www.poliigon.com/

That's a really great site!

But I'm having a problem getting the metals to look like they do in their previews. The normal maps don't seem to do anything and the reflections aren't looking right either.

• Specifically I'm referring to the brushed metals. Dang edit time limit.

• @johndoe641 for metals make sure you set reflectivity to 1. you might also have to adjust the roughness unless you have a map for that.

• @ghostship said in Looking for a procdural tile/wood script for SF.:

@johndoe641 for metals make sure you set reflectivity to 1. you might also have to adjust the roughness unless you have a map for that.

The materials on that site have glossy/bump/normal/spec/reflection maps included but I don't know if they have any that have a specific roughness map.

I can get bump maps to work but when a set doesn't have a bump map and only a normal map, the normal map seems to completely mess up the reflections because it shifts them to the right for some reason unless I change the Normal Space to anything but Tangent. But they still don't look right. I'm also not sure what strength to use because I had read somewhere that the image contained the info and it was automatic in cycles but I guess it's different in Poser.

I've given up on the metal material for now and I'm working with the free tile material here this way anyone can show me how dumb I am and get it working. :p

This is what I'm getting with the main texture plugged into the Diffuse, the glossy map plugged into glossy, the reflectivity map in the reflectivity channel, the Disp image I plugged into the bump map channel (I didn't know where else it could go, then set the bump to .25 but it seems to work).

0_1491982391353_Spherestexturetest.jpg

And that clearly doesn't look anything like the preview on the Poliigon page.

• @johndoe641 Here is what I did with the tiles. I also changed the texture setup on EZDome so it was brighter and would work with my GPU.
    0_1492009045296_Tiled ball.jpg
    0_1492009065857_EZDOMElighting.jpg

• @ghostship Yeah I had basically the same setup when I did the normal map and you're also having that weird shadow thing that takes up the left half of the sphere. I thought I did something wrong but if you're seeing that too, then maybe it's an issue with Posers' cycles implementation.

• Poser Ambassadors

@johndoe641 said in Looking for a procdural tile/wood script for SF.:

@ghostship Yeah I had basically the same setup when I did the normal map and you're also having that weird shadow thing that takes up the left half of the sphere. I thought I did something wrong but if you're seeing that too, then maybe it's an issue with Posers' cycles implementation.

Nope - not sure what you're doing to get that but I'm not getting weird shadow thing.

• Poser Ambassadors

@johndoe641 said in Looking for a procdural tile/wood script for SF.:

@ghostship said in Looking for a procdural tile/wood script for SF.:
    The materials on that site have glossy/bump/normal/spec/reflection maps included but I don't know if they have any that have a specific roughness map.

Roughness is 1 - Glossiness and Glossiness is 1 - Roughness. See below - you're dealing with a roughness map with an alternative parameterization that's all - you just need to know how to use it.

I can get bump maps to work but when a set doesn't have a bump map and only a normal map, the normal map seems to completely mess up the reflections because it shifts them to the right for some reason unless I change the Normal Space to anything but Tangent. But they still don't look right.

Almost certainly because you failed to set the normal map image gamma to 1. All maps EXCEPT diffuse color are not colors - they're numerical values and should not have a gamma adjustment assumed - having the default gamma of 2.2 is causing all kinds of problems for you.

I'm also not sure what strength to use because I had read somewhere that the image contained the info and it was automatic in cycles but I guess it's different in Poser.

It is automatic - strength would be 1. If you would use the Physical Surface root node you don't even have an option for strength. But first get the gamma right before you investigate further. Also, I suggest you start with a solid color for diffuse color, no bump, no roughness map, no specular map, no reflection map, JUST the normal map until you learn and see what is going on.

I've given up on the metal material for now and I'm working with the free tile material here this way anyone can show me how dumb I am and get it working. :p

Metals require use of the right parameterization. You'd have to show me which one you're having trouble with. There are two widely used parameterizations and you probably have the wrong one for SuperFly to use directly. Adaptation is possible, however, to any parameterization using SuperFly. The PhysicalSurface root node directly supports the "metallic" workflow of PBR.

This is what I'm getting with the main texture plugged into the Diffuse, the glossy map plugged into glossy,

You mean a GlossyBsdf node? But it matters which parameter you use. A gloss map is the inverse or negative of a roughness map. It defines roughness but with the opposite convention, where whiter is glossier, instead of whiter is rougher. To convert it to a roughness map you want to invert it. There are lots of ways to do that but basically if G is your glossy map you want to use 1-G for roughness. (Math Subtract can do this, but I also think there's a Cycles Invert node somewhere - both do the same math.)

I also suspect you didn't know you need to set the image gamma = 1 on every map EXCEPT the diffuse color map. Failure to set the image gamma to 1 means the values are misinterpreted, even if you did invert them correctly. Double problem there.

the reflectivity map in the reflectivity channel,

Reflectivity channel of what? I suggest you should be using the PhysicalSurface node until you get up to speed to hand-assembly. The reflectivity map (which needs gamma = 1 !!!!) should connect to the Specular color.

the Disp image I plugged into the bump map channel (I didn't know where else it could go, then set the bump to .25 but it seems to work).

Yeah except I can tell that you forgot to set image gamma = 1 and you're getting stair steps because of it. Or perhaps you actually need to use the 16-bit displacement map. Anyway I see a problem there that requires addressing. Note that you'd LIKE to use displacement but the version of Cycles we've got isn't the new one that actually does micro polygon displacement, so bump is your best alternative.

• @bagginsbill I've mentioned it previously that I don't know anything about the material room. It's like an alien schematics display to me, so I get everything wrong all the time which is why I was using ghost ships shader setup. If you look at his screenshot, that's what my node setup looks like. BTW that's also what I was referring to when I mentioned plugging in the Reflection image into the Reflectivity channel, it's already there, set up for me to use in that compound node GS created for us. But if that's the wrong place to put it, I leave it off.

But you're right I didn't know about the gamma settings, I set that too 1 for everything but the diffuse and stair stepping is 100% gone the the reflections look correct. Such a simple thing that I never would have thought about, thanks!

Here's what it looks like with gamma correction and nothing plugged into the Reflectivity channel:
    0_1492035171218_Spherestexturetest2.jpg
    The stair stepping is completely gone!

Now if I keep the Reflectivity plugged in, but have the gamma set to 1:
    0_1492035239517_Spherestexturetest3_reflectivity.jpg
    It's slightly brighter and has more of a mirror ball look to it which looks kinda neat, right or wrong.

I've read about displacement not working in cycles so I thought I might as well try something. I added the Displacement image into the Cycles Displacement channel via a math node thingy (I completely guessed on what that was) so I could use a value higher than 1, turned on subdivision on the sphere and got this neat looking result:
    0_1492035631441_Spherestexturetest3_reflectivity_disp.jpg
    I probably did something wrong there too, but it looks cool. :p

• As you see in your render, Displacement does work in Superfly. It just needs the geometry. So, if you need a displacement map you need to subdivide your object so that the displacement will show. Firefly will do that while rendering, Superfly will not. Could change in the next Poser version since they already have that feature as experimental in the current Blender version, but for now you can simply subdivide before displacing.

0_1492158980679_upload-7b423eaa-23c2-44df-9252-3d3e89d2a551

Of course, it adds a bit to the render time. The image is a simple plane with an somewhat exaggerated displacement map. As you can see the render subdivision is set to eight. Depending on your model, you might need less subdivision. Please keep in mind that each level of subdivision multiplies the amount of polygons with 4, so going as high as 8 could be more than your hardware can handle, if the model wasn't very low poly to begin with.

• Shader:
    0_1492159643972_upload-0f07b9a2-2d88-4117-8dfb-312d5ef141e0

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.