Yet more good news for Poser

• I realise I'm late to this party, but I only just discovered that DAZ are now encrypting their files, and locking them to DAZ Studio. Wish I'd discovered that BEFORE I bought a couple of hundred dollars of models, but I needed them for a commercial project. Apart from the fact that this is a shitty, shitty thing of DAZ to do to their legitimate customers, this does open up new retail possibilities.

Renderosity has forced it content providers to produce content for DAZ in DUF format, but had they allowed us to continue creating cross platform content simply using Poser formats, it would greatly have streamllined the production process. Nevertheless, as vendors, we can now include a sticker in our advertising that says something like "Not encrypted - always available". This both highlights the shittiness of DAZ's latest policy, but also gives us a USP, drawing attention to Poser's less restrictive practices.

• What are you talking about, matb?

• @eclark1849 DAZ3D now encrypts its products so that they cannot be used outside DAZ Studio. They also require authorisation via their servers. That is a tremendously unpopular move, and allows vendors of unencrypted Poser products to sell the benefits of that lack of encryption.

• Nothing new there. They've been saying they were going to do that for the last two or three years now.. As long as the stuff in my library still works in Poser, I don't care what they do.

• Will I still be able to export a model I purchased from them, via Studio, for use in Poser?

• I think it was an experiment. There aren't many products that are encrypted, and encrypted ones are available unencrypted for download one year after release. There is a list of encrypted products in the first post here.....

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/89246/get-your-encrypted-daz-connect-content-here-thread/p1

• I successfully exported an encrypted product for G2F and converted it to Poser native.

• @RobZhena Excellent to hear. I've been doing this for a while with static props that are DAZ only and I haven't had problems yet. I was just concerned that DAZ was suddenly encrypting products to prevent exporting.

• @James_in_3D That was exactly the suggestion. Just bought michael 7 and he did not export via CR2.Tried several different parameters but so far no luck. More things to try yet. We'll see.

• @wandw All of the daz original sI bought yesterday were encrypted.

• @matb said in Yet more good news for Poser:

@wandw All of the daz original sI bought yesterday were encrypted.

Well this sucks :(

• Poser Ambassadors

I'll play devil's advocate because there is another way of looking at this ;)

Digital content has a particular disadvantage compared to a physical product - it can be copied exactly in any quantity & distributed to a vast market (anyone with access to a computer) for exceptionally low cost. This means that the perceived value ends up being extremely low, & I would argue that this is why casual piracy is such a problem for any market where content can be delivered in digital format, whether that's 3D models, music, film, photography, software etc etc.

So encryption & DRM is one possible answer to the question: if your business is in selling digital content which is perceived to have low ultimate value (meaning the initial release is the bulk of the value that will be realised from it, followed by rapidly dwindling returns & buttressed by the occasional deeply-discounted sale plus the impact of casual piracy) yet can take significant amounts of work to create then how do you attract the people into this market to create the endless stream of new content that your business requires?

In case anyone's interested, I found this thesis by Thierry Rayna online - makes better points than I can!

• Can we say: Blockchain technology

• Poser Ambassadors

@ibr_remote - sure, but if that's one of those "in the future, technology will ..." kind of statements, then I will remain skeptical ;)

@James_in_3D That was exactly the suggestion. Just bought michael 7 and he did not export via CR2.Tried several different parameters but so far no luck. More things to try yet. We'll see.

Hi.

Michael 7 won’t work in poser as an exported cr2 directly from daz studio because he is based on Genesis 3, which uses a different rigging system and Dual Quaternion weight maps which Poser doesn’t support.

You would need to convert M7 to the Genesis 2 rigging with willdial and Lululees' - Genesis 3 Poser Updater – which you can download from Renderosity - https://www.renderosity.com/render-daz-genesis-3-in-poser-cms-18144?&AID=408

@wandw All of the daz originals I bought yesterday were encrypted.

Interesting. I bought a couple of PA items Sunday, and they are normal items, as are the recent DAZ Originals I've purchased. Can they be installed via DIM?

I'd post a note on the DAZ thread I linked to above and see if others have had the same experience..

• @adi Ahh thank you adi - valuable info!

• @wandw They came with some kind of unlocker thing if you download manually. I just used install manager.

• @caisson I have no problem finding ways to protect your technology (and I certainly empathise with their plight), but protection that insists upon the future existence of a server, and which excludes use on all the other platforms that people wish to use is a total no no. DAZ claims that they have an unlock functionality lodged with a third patrty, but that depends upon them maintaining sales info with that party, and customers having the means to connect to them.

I have too many games that stopped working because the CD protection system couldn't verify, or the multiplayer functionality stopped because the publisher stopped providing the server that everything had to go through. I have movies that I can't watch because I changed hard drives.

I've had weeks when I couldn't use expensive software including Photoshop I purchased because the internet verification system went down or I didn't have a connection for verification. The whole system is crap, and I will never knowingly buy any DRM protected products unless there is a financial need, as there was in this case.

@wandw They came with some kind of unlocker thing if you download manually. I just used install manager.

The unlock files are for DAZ Connect (in Studio 4.9) if you download it locally, and is present for all products; I checked and they are there for Vicky 2.0. If there is a manual download button that links to a .zip file below those, it's not encrypted...