Problem with UVmaps and transparent layers

• I made a figure for Daz and Poser Last year. I have created an addon pack for it and have hit a couple of problems with the poser version.

1. The Daz version works with Shaders that automatically use one of three UVmaps loaded for the figure. The original UVmap now has two selectable alternatives that add a lot of scope to texturing.
    2. The Daz version has transparent layers in the Shaders to display Spots, Tattoos, etc. I have Poser Pro 2014 and cannot see how I can create layers in the texture. I know Poser Pro 11 has layers in the materials but that is a lot of money.
      Is there a way to do this in Poser in such a way that a normal user could use it. Not involving muliple OBJ and Menu items of the same figure. To create a seperate texture map for each combination is not going to work as there would need to be hundreds.
      Anyone with ideas will be very appreciated.

• If you don't have layers capability then you need to mask stuff off with maps

• for using two different diffuse maps for color (1 skin, 1 tattoo) you would use a blend node and that would be driven by your mask.

• Thanks ghostship but, like I said in my first post, I have Poser Pro 2014 - Poser Pro 10 not 11. It does not have have the Layer option in the Material Room like Poser Pro 11. If I spend hundreds of dollars I can do it this way.

• @thehairyone Yes but your materila wouldn't be backward compatible. The mask methos @ghostship mentioned is the way these things have always been done in Poser before (and quite often still) Poser 11.

• Poser Ambassadors

I'd also recommend using masks, it's easy & effective.

For your first issue, you can only have one UV set per object in Poser; Studio has UV swapping which Poser currently lacks, is that what you're referring to?

• Thanks everyone. Good catch amethystpendant.
    I saw the same Poser Pro 11 window in the first post everyone else talks about and missed the "If you don't have layers capability" bit. Apologies for not reading your advice properly ghostship. Backwards compatibility is the better way to go I think. I did already try with masks but all I got was lipstick on a transparent figure. I am now going try again using your illustrations to see if I can do it right. This looks a lot like the Maya method I used in past. Also thanks caisson for your input about UV sets. Hopefully the next Poser will be able to switch UV sets. It is a very useful feature.
    Thanks again all.

• I followed the instructions and presto I have bright red lips in my renders. For some reason I cannot see the new layers in the preview. That aside its a success.
    I saved the new masked material as a New Material Set and that worked, except, I need the new layer to add onto the materials already selected by the user. If the user selects say base texture 8 and decides to have it with pink lips. Can I make it so Menu 1 is base material, then, Menu 2 for various Lips, Menu 3 for aging, Menu 4 for freckles, etc handle the various transparent layes and place them onto the figure. If it makes a difference the figure only has the one base map that covers the entire thing. Asking a lot I know but if anyone can help me out I'd be very grateful. Speaking of which thanks for posting the screen captures ghostship, they are easy to follow and they work.

• I have had some breakthroughs and need a bit of help. What I have done is created a shader for the figure. Into that shader I have inserted a blender node between the Posersurface diffuse_color and the Diffuse Image_map. I set the Blending value to 1 and directed both inputs into the Diffuse Image_map Node. This Renders as if no blender were there an is the default off mode.
    Next I created a script that carries a duplicate Blender Node. This Node directs Input 1 to the Diffuse Image_map and Input 2 to the Diffuse Image_map of the New layer. The Mask Image_map is linked into the blending Value still set at 1.
    When I use the Add To Material option in the Material Library The new Blender Node replaces the original and keeps a link to the original Diffuse Image_map Node. It carries the New Layer Diffuse Image_map Node on its Input 2 as intended and the Mask Image_map is linked into the blending Value. The reulting Render is good with the new Layer in its place.
    My figure has at least 32 Base Shaders and I think I can get to this method to work for me as a workaround. Otherwise I would need to have 8 colour options times 32 Base shader options.
    There is a problem with the old Blender Node remaining until I click the Remove Detached Nodes button. I need it to disappear automatically if possible. Users would find this annoying I think. Anyone got any ideas.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.