**NSFW** PP2014 + Photoshop - Creating This Style **NSFW**

• Hi folks,

For a few years now, I've wanted to create this kind of style for some of my work. I know that the best way to achieve this is to hand-draw the pieces in Photoshop, but since I can't draw for the life of me, I wonder if anyone could share techniques for creating this kind of style from Poser renders, please?

One issue I have is lighting. Keith Garvey's work usually features soft and even lighting, while the art from GTA usually features well-defined shading, though manages to keep this shading smooth.

I'm of the opinion that creating the former would be easier, as most of his pieces are set against a blank background; this would be good to do, but I would also like to create work set to an interesting background, such as is seen in the latter. I have a feeling that this could be done by setting up the scene and rendering it without the character, then setting up a new character scene with its own lighting and layering it. What do you folks think?

0_1492424767388_$_57.JPG

0_1492424783947_s-l1000.jpg

0_1492424805935_official-artwork-simeon.jpg

0_1492424831817_official-artwork-starlet.jpg

Here is the closest I've managed to get with lots of postwork using Photoshop and Nik Tools. Annie in 'Ceraph' (linked as original is too large)

http://glen85.deviantart.com/art/Annie-Ceraph-648821550

Thanks folks.

• Two examples of Keith Garvey's usual standard of work, with blank backgrounds:

0_1492425177751_847a51987d15cd25e7102d3e4a17a1b5.jpg

0_1492425186387_634722b6b0ae4805e48a07738baa87f7.jpg

• Well, there is no "make art" button, not in Photoshop and not in Poser either. So if you want to create a picture in a style different from the photo-realism that you (sometimes) can achieve in Poser, there is always manual labour involved. If you just slam an "art" filter on a render, it will never pass as an illustration or a painting and experienced viewers will immediately spot the filter you have used.

Drawing - like every other craft - is mainly practice. With the computer as the ultimate tool, there is no excuse for dried-up paint or non-matching colours any more.
    The most important part is the idea of a picture, the composition and the colours. That's what you can do in Poser already. The rest is craft, which needs skill, but that can be learned. There are lots of free courses on the internet about illustration and painting and you will quickly find out which will help you. As a classic I recommend the Famous Artists Course from 1960 of which you may find PDF copies on the net. A lot of the basics haven't changed since and most of the rest can be transferred into the digital age.

Without the proper tools, work can become pain. What you definitely need is a pressure-sensitive drawing tablet, even a small and cheap one will do. But I guess you knew that already. Then a good imaging program like Photoshop or Corel Painter or something else capable of using brushes that can look like real-world art tools. I wouldn't recommend Gimp as it comes nowhere close to the ones mentioned before.

To approach the GTA style, try some settings in Poser using the comic book mode. I think there are already some threads in this forum about that. With the right light, this will give you a good basis to start from for your characters. Using the paint brush, you can add more colour tones. The blending tool enables you to make soft transitions between colours, even a smearing tool can be of use here. Finally add some finishing highlights and details with a brush.

For the background, Garvey surely took a snapshot from the game as background layer and roughly painted on it with solid brushes, picking up the colours from the original layer. Don't be afraid to use the polygon and other selection tools to mask areas you want to paint in order not to draw outside. To make it more interesting, he used effect brushes e.g. on the trunk of the palm tree and maybe multiplied some texture blots here and there on the roads and buildings. It also saves a lot of work to use the perspective tool to tweak patterns and text into the right perspective. Add a transparency gradient bright yellow for the haze and paint the sky in the background with coarse brush strokes or take a sky photo and filter it a bit. Lights painted on a separate layer can be overlayed with their own blurred copy to achieve the glare effect. Voilà!

The softer style of the other pictures - which I quite don't like that much - may be a bit harder to emulate. You may try to do a normal render in Poser and apply a gaussian blur filter on the copy of the original layer. Then use the original to mask out the contours and get the sharper lines right. You'll have to use the airbrush tool to paint the soft gradients, which is definitely not easy. After you did the skin, cloth and larger areas, you can start to add the details with a brush as before.

There is no right way to do an illustration on a computer, there are many. Copying the drawing styles of the masters is a good way to learn; all classic painters started that way. You will eventually find your own unique style as your experience grows and your individual taste and technique will take over.

• Poser Team

You can do a lot of this with filters, and additionally, creating masks in any decent image editor.
    There are a lot of videos out there on converting images and renders to different styles like this.

This one goes thru a lot of the steps involved in one video.
    There are many different videos on different styles as well.

• @Glen85

If you want the GTA look to your images there is a program iToon

• Here's a collection of shader links, noting that the Runtime DNA links are all dead, including the one to BB's Vargas shader, which is what I thought of when I saw your first examples. These are for Firefly, of course...

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2889859

EDIT; BB has the Vargas shader on his site as a Matmatic script...

https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/matmatic/scripts

• Thank you. iToon seems good, tried the trial but it does behave sporadically, with some images looking stunningly good, while others look appalling. Might have to try loads of different styles of renders while I have the trial and see what it doesn't like so that I know before buying.

• Can someone teach an idiot how to use Matmatic, please? I've downloaded the script thingies and the Matmatic zip. :/

• @Glen85 Hi, not sure if the output is the same but @bagginsbill shared the 2 shaders at the bottom of https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/random-shaders The first allows for a transmap presumably for hair.

This is V4 with her default bra and panties color maps plugged in to the Color Map of the second shader

0_1492713143423_Varga.png

I've no idea what the params are! Looks like the discussion was on RDNA :(

Same mat but FireFly (which is what existed when BB wrote the mat!

0_1492713691785_Varga2.png

• Poser Ambassadors

@Glen85 said in **NSFW** PP2014 + Photoshop - Creating This Style **NSFW**:

Can someone teach an idiot how to use Matmatic, please? I've downloaded the script thingies and the Matmatic zip. :/

Did you download the documentation from https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/matmatic/MatmaticBeta1Docs.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 ?

There were hundreds of pages of more discussion and guidance at RDNA, all erased now.

• Poser Ambassadors

There is also an excellent free document by kobaltkween

http://www.sharecg.com/v/38919/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/Introduction-to-Matmatic

• Poser Ambassadors

• Thanks a million! Let's see what I can make!

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.