Where could I find (or how could I make) simplified male/female figures?

• Poser Ambassadors

If you're using FireFly as I am here, you can try this shader. The Clouds part is optional - you can get an even glow by just disconnecting it.

0_1493332911573_upload-22a68b23-3319-4ca8-872c-f8c2d63a498d

I'm using colored point lights inside with low intensity (.4% to 1%) and using Inverse Square falloff. The falloff is very important!!!

0_1493332995552_upload-6f0ce95b-c100-44b7-b5e3-1d00d9a878b8

• Great questions, @bagginsbill. What I'm doing is building a repertoire. I will want to be able to portray:

• Pure light sources located inside the body. Sometimes these will need to appear as through they are glowing at a certain size, say half the chest diameter, or more, or even larger than the body, with falloff toward the edges.

• Objects that "glow" or emit light.

• Glowing mist or energy or gas.

• Columns or shafts of light through the body.

I will gather some 2D examples to illustrate...

• @bagginsbill That looks very cool! Yes, this will be one effect I'm reaching for.

So to make sure I'm understanding, the shader you created is applied to Andy, and different color point lights are located inside the head and abdomen?

Here's one example of what I'm ultimately reaching for: nine different objects, lights, effects with one body:

alt text

And here is a very different one:

alt text

I will want to be able to show each of these objects isolated, then animate assembling all of these objects together.

There's an even trickier part that I'll also need to figure out. I'm thinking I should create a new topic for this: animating the morphing of one object into a very different one, for example the lump of distorted flesh in the belly of the second image becoming the vertical column of light in the first image. Not for the faint of heart, I fear...

What are your thoughts? Am I reaching too far for Poser, or will I be able to figure this out?

• I realize I just opened up a few cans of worms, probably. Let me be more specific about my first project, to see if it's reasonable that I can do this one in Poser. This involves four different object pairs where the first object transforms into the second within or around the figure.

The first is straightforward, a metal plate simply moving location from the chest to under the feet:

alt text

The second involves a patchy gas/mist in the chest transforming into a cashmere cloak or shawl-type wrap:

alt text

The third may be trickier, involving a porcupine-like object on the belly transforming into a glowing light space that occupies inside and outside the front of the chest:

alt text

The fourth involves a tiny, glowing heart at the center of the porcupine object that transforms into an infinite, iridescent light radiance all through and around the body:

alt text

Finally, putting them all together, I will want to show the first of each of these pairs as a composite, transforming into the second of each of the pairs, like this:

alt text

Am I crazy, or is this doable??

• Poser Ambassadors

All doable but you're going to be studying and learning a lot about computer graphics.

Some of these transformations can simply be done with animated shader parameters and a single standard object like a sphere that simply changes position, size and shape through animated parameters. Others will require the creation of custom prop objects with custom morphs to drastically alter the shapes. Some shape alterations, like spikes, can be done in the shader using displacement.

I'd slow down and tackle the elements first before going straight to one of your illustrations.

For example, first step is to decide on a number of frames and the frame rate, establish the time line for, say, 8 seconds of animation at 30 frames per second. Practice placing an object at rest for 2 seconds, then have it move smoothly to another place over 4 seconds, then stay in the new spot for 2 seconds.

Figure out how you're going to process that animation - What format will you save in? How will you compose this with other imagery in 2D or will you compose everything in Poser itself?

Then try changing its size as well.

Then try changing its color.

Etc.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here's an example using the Poser Hi-Res sphere as an animating prop.

The shader is opaque, magenta, and has displacement spikes at the start.
    0_1493384008062_A1.jpg
    It has a completely different appearance at frame 30, where it is a yellow mist.
    0_1493384061058_A30.jpg
    In setting up this animation, the prop also changes size.

Here are a couple of the in-between points at frame 10 and 20
    0_1493384118424_A10.jpg
    0_1493384122947_A20.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

Here's the shader at frame 1
    0_1493384242108_upload-4c78bcb2-03d8-4ce0-a235-fcd066251354
    Notice the parameters that have a lit key - those are animated parameters that take on different values over time.
    Here is the shader at frame 30.
    0_1493384291740_upload-9cbb2e7b-0f57-4a98-9bb6-5301bb192c15

• Thank you, thank you, thank you, @bagginsbill. Yes, I can see this will take time and learning a lot. You've given me a great start, so I have some idea of what's possible and can plan and test the overall arc of production, like you suggested. Let me see what I can do with it over the coming days/weeks, (along with other portions of the video series I'm creating).

Just want to say, I really appreciate your help. Your responses to my questions have kept me moving forward with the project where I might have stalled or gone off on some other tangent otherwise. Now I'm hopeful this is actually something I can complete.

• Poser Ambassadors

You're welcome. Many of the effects will likely take hours of preparation and testing. But I can just do a crappy proof of concept for them to get you started in each case. Most of the materials you want to make are not obligated to match physical realities and so can be assembled with acknowledgement that whatever comes out from just a few shader nodes is probably sufficient.

• OK, I'm trying to start simple, wanting to do the left image on this one:

alt text

It's like a splotchy cloud/smoke, mostly translucent, that is partly inside the body and partly in front. I've searched all through this forum for posts referencing clouds, smoke and such, and don't have a clear idea yet how to do this. I tried a complex one by @seachnasaigh but he was working in SuperFly and it didn't seem to work at all in FireFly. Do you have any suggestions?

I'll have to keep in mind that this will need to transform into a thick, cashmere poncho-looking thing, but one thing at a time.

BTW, I'm trying out the shader you offered above that you described as "almost like a cartoon outline" and will probably tweak it a little further, but it's nicely out of the way of things that will be inside and through:

alt text

Using Pauline with some heaviness added, and the Alternate Construct environment with the ground and background set to light gray. It seems this construct might have too darn many lights, and I'd like to get rid of the line at the horizon, but it's a decent starting place, good enough for now.

• Poser Ambassadors

@joeshirley said in Where could I find (or how could I make) simplified male/female figures?:

...I tried a complex one by @seachnasaigh but he was working in SuperFly and it didn't seem to work at all in FireFly.

What version of Poser are you using? (P9?, Poser Pro 2014?, P11?)
    Do you want to render in Firefly or Superfly, or is either OK?

@joeshirley said in Where could I find (or how could I make) simplified male/female figures?:

Using Pauline with some heaviness added, and the Alternate Construct environment with the ground and background set to light gray. It seems this construct might have too darn many lights, and I'd like to get rid of the line at the horizon, but it's a decent starting place, good enough for now.

It's easy enough to hide the horizon of the construct, that won't be a problem.

• @seachnasaigh I'm using Poser 11. @bagginsbill suggested rendering in Firefly, in Where could I find (or how could I make) simplified male/female figures?:

I suggest you use FireFly here as extreme realism is not important for illustrations like this and FireFly is faster and actually more capable of special effects than SuperFly.

• Poser Ambassadors

If you want the construct to not interact or respond with light and just be a specific color, you should use this shader. Here I turn off all Diffuse_Value and Specular_Value, and I turn on Ambient_Value.

Place whatever color you want in Ambient_Color and the construct will be that color, period.
    Do this to both materials so they match. Or you could stop using the construct altogether (Ctrl-G to hide it) and just place a flat plane behind the figure with this shader on it.

0_1493478540742_upload-08efbc20-1ca6-4b85-bef1-ce82c21ddb1b

• Poser Ambassadors

Again using a scaled Poser sphere, I place a variant of that same shader to produce spotty gray-green miasma wherever I want.

0_1493478751041_upload-7d55569c-db73-4c0c-a4cf-1e1f34b55729

Place whatever color you want in Ambient_Color.

Adjust the parameters in the Spots node to alter the character of the spots. There are lots of effects possible. I'm using the Spots here to control the opacity of the green. Where the Spots node is black, the sphere is invisible. Where the spots node is white, the sphere is Ambient_Color.

• Poser Ambassadors

I'll have to keep in mind that this will need to transform into a thick, cashmere poncho-looking thing, but one thing at a time.

Right - and this is where morphing the sphere will be necessary, or perhaps just make the poncho-like object be the shape all along, just change its scale as it animates.

I don't have any specific suggestions for modeling such a thing as I generally don't make models by hand. If I make them I use math formulas because that's literally the easiest and fastest way for me. You might try any number of free modeling tools. Blobby things might be easiest in Sculptris. Google it.

"If you're new to the world of digital sculpting, Sculptris is the ideal ground on which to get started."

• Poser Ambassadors

This uses a starburst prop and is fairly quick to render:
    starburst

• @bagginsbill and @seachnasaigh thanks for the tips on removing the horizon.

@bagginsbill - Trying out the Spots shader the way you set it up, this is what I get. Any idea, why is the ambient color not showing and it is rendering instead as gray?

alt text

I think I'll go back and change the figure shader to be more like your Andy there, with less of a harsh edge.

@seachnasaigh - I'm looking for this starburst prop and not finding it. Can you share more about where I find that, and what shader you used, (and how the animation happens). I'm revealing how little I know here, and know I need to also dig further into tutorial vids and the manual, so I appreciate your pointing me in a helpful direction even without any further details!

Thanks to you both.

• Also, for some reason my preview shows the figure as completely black, no contours visible. What might I be doing wrong?

alt text

• Poser Ambassadors

Any idea, why is the ambient color not showing and it is rendering instead as gray?

Because you have Ambient_Value set to 0 which means turn this off completely. For any pair of parameters xyz_color and xyz_value, the color and value are multiplied together.

Note that the value can be more than 1 as well. The final color will be clipped to what your monitor can show, but in-between node color values within the shader can take on any value.

• Poser Ambassadors

Also, for some reason my preview shows the figure as completely black, no contours visible. What might I be doing wrong?

The preview renderer does not do raytraced tricks like refraction; so it sees zero diffuse => black. That's to be expected, not an error.
    If you need to see through him to place lights, props, etc. , you can set the document display style to outline. Full preview shaded mode is the "ball" which looks like a billiard ball.
    0_1493577787110_P11 display styles.PNG

The starburst prop has three pieces (starburst, IDL emitter, aura); hide the emitter unless you want to render Firefly IDL. To hide it, click the "eye" icon in the hierarchy panel.
    0_1493577804132_hide the emitter unless needed.PNG

Crud. I don't have sufficient privileges to be able to upload a zip.
    I'll upload to DropBox and post a link.

starburst