Where could I find (or how could I make) simplified male/female figures?

• @seachnasaigh I'm using Poser 11. @bagginsbill suggested rendering in Firefly, in Where could I find (or how could I make) simplified male/female figures?:

I suggest you use FireFly here as extreme realism is not important for illustrations like this and FireFly is faster and actually more capable of special effects than SuperFly.

• Poser Ambassadors

If you want the construct to not interact or respond with light and just be a specific color, you should use this shader. Here I turn off all Diffuse_Value and Specular_Value, and I turn on Ambient_Value.

Place whatever color you want in Ambient_Color and the construct will be that color, period.
    Do this to both materials so they match. Or you could stop using the construct altogether (Ctrl-G to hide it) and just place a flat plane behind the figure with this shader on it.

0_1493478540742_upload-08efbc20-1ca6-4b85-bef1-ce82c21ddb1b

• Poser Ambassadors

Again using a scaled Poser sphere, I place a variant of that same shader to produce spotty gray-green miasma wherever I want.

0_1493478751041_upload-7d55569c-db73-4c0c-a4cf-1e1f34b55729

Place whatever color you want in Ambient_Color.

Adjust the parameters in the Spots node to alter the character of the spots. There are lots of effects possible. I'm using the Spots here to control the opacity of the green. Where the Spots node is black, the sphere is invisible. Where the spots node is white, the sphere is Ambient_Color.

• Poser Ambassadors

@joeshirley said in Where could I find (or how could I make) simplified male/female figures?:

I'll have to keep in mind that this will need to transform into a thick, cashmere poncho-looking thing, but one thing at a time.

Right - and this is where morphing the sphere will be necessary, or perhaps just make the poncho-like object be the shape all along, just change its scale as it animates.

I don't have any specific suggestions for modeling such a thing as I generally don't make models by hand. If I make them I use math formulas because that's literally the easiest and fastest way for me. You might try any number of free modeling tools. Blobby things might be easiest in Sculptris. Google it.

"If you're new to the world of digital sculpting, Sculptris is the ideal ground on which to get started."

• Poser Ambassadors

This uses a starburst prop and is fairly quick to render:
    starburst

• @bagginsbill and @seachnasaigh thanks for the tips on removing the horizon.

@bagginsbill - Trying out the Spots shader the way you set it up, this is what I get. Any idea, why is the ambient color not showing and it is rendering instead as gray?

alt text

I think I'll go back and change the figure shader to be more like your Andy there, with less of a harsh edge.

@seachnasaigh - I'm looking for this starburst prop and not finding it. Can you share more about where I find that, and what shader you used, (and how the animation happens). I'm revealing how little I know here, and know I need to also dig further into tutorial vids and the manual, so I appreciate your pointing me in a helpful direction even without any further details!

Thanks to you both.

• Also, for some reason my preview shows the figure as completely black, no contours visible. What might I be doing wrong?

alt text

• Poser Ambassadors

@joeshirley said in Where could I find (or how could I make) simplified male/female figures?:

Any idea, why is the ambient color not showing and it is rendering instead as gray?

Because you have Ambient_Value set to 0 which means turn this off completely. For any pair of parameters xyz_color and xyz_value, the color and value are multiplied together.

Note that the value can be more than 1 as well. The final color will be clipped to what your monitor can show, but in-between node color values within the shader can take on any value.

• Poser Ambassadors

Also, for some reason my preview shows the figure as completely black, no contours visible. What might I be doing wrong?

The preview renderer does not do raytraced tricks like refraction; so it sees zero diffuse => black. That's to be expected, not an error.
    If you need to see through him to place lights, props, etc. , you can set the document display style to outline. Full preview shaded mode is the "ball" which looks like a billiard ball.
    0_1493577787110_P11 display styles.PNG

The starburst prop has three pieces (starburst, IDL emitter, aura); hide the emitter unless you want to render Firefly IDL. To hide it, click the "eye" icon in the hierarchy panel.
    0_1493577804132_hide the emitter unless needed.PNG

Crud. I don't have sufficient privileges to be able to upload a zip.
    I'll upload to DropBox and post a link.

starburst

• Poser Ambassadors

Starburst material: Instead of an image map node, use a movie node, and load it with the first JPG of a sequentially numbered series.
    0_1493578719839_starburst material.PNG
    0_1493578732504_folder of sequentially numbered JPGs.PNG

This is the UV mapping template of the starburst mesh; the central junction is at the bottom, and the distal tips of the rays are at the top.
    0_1493578815075_starburst template.png

The rays are surrounded by a faintly visible "aura"; this is the aura material; it adds two daisy-chained edge_blend nodes which erase the center (tangent near orthogonal) and outer edges (tangent near parallel) to give a soft edge.
    0_1493579022476_starburst aura material.PNG

• Holy mackerel, @seachnasaigh ! I'm thankful for this starburst tutorial, have downloaded your zip and will be poking around with it in coming days. And thanks for the tip on preview. Of course it makes sense now.

@bagginsbill , here's what I have so far on setting up the smoke/fog in the torso. I think this direction is good enough; it's clear the texture is on the surface of the sphere and not through the center, but it seems to work OK. I'm starting to test out how to make animations while I'm at it, since that will be key to the final product.

alt text

Thank you both for your help!!

• Poser Ambassadors

it's clear the texture is on the surface of the sphere and not through the center

FireFly doesn't have volumetric shaders - it only calculates at surfaces, not interiors. SuperFly has volumetric shaders. But I think you would be unhappy using SuperFly - it takes a long time to "converge" on a consistent image and without waiting for that convergence each frame of an animation will have different noise in it from the previous frame. A typical animation render that might take an hour in FireFly is closer to 100 hours in SuperFly.

Alternative methods include using a prop with lots of interior divisions, so that FireFly has more "surfaces" it can evaluate. I've made such props before, and while they do work, they require lots more render time. Basically you can't get away from volumetric rendering taking a long time. (No matter how you approach it)

• @bagginsbill - OK then. Nice to see I'm bumping up against the edges of what's doable. As long as I know what the limits are, I can work within them to just get stuff done. No way I want my renders to be taking 100 hours!

• Poser Ambassadors

Here's one method of creating interior surface to give an appearance of volume:
    particles.
    Make a cube. Duplicate it and scatter. Subdivide once to get a roughly spherical shape.
    0_1493594351805_patchy cloud particle array.png

This material uses displacement to make the particle surface irregular, and an edge_blend to fade away the exterior edge of each particle.
    I used frame number to animate the displacement turbulence and the "clouds" driving transparency and color.
    0_1493594534937_patchy cloud particle material.PNG

It gives a fair approximation of volume...
    patchy cloud particle faux-volume

patchy cloud particle array

• @seachnasaigh - Sweet! I'll report back when I get a chance to try this out. Some other things demanding my attention for the next couple days, but as soon as I can give this a try I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you!!