My perverse use of Poser Pro 11

• OK, I got your attention heh heh. I created what is called a 2.5D animation among Japanese animation fans.
    This is the short clip (60 frames) at my YouTube account:-

I modelled the plane OBJ using Shade 3D 16 Standard, because I wanted a particular dimension of the mesh.

Now into Poser Pro 11. I first rendered an image using with only a white background, geometric edge line and colour comic settings (with antialiasing). I exported the image. I will use this as my texture for the 2D plane in fresh Poser scene.

Meanwhile, still in the first Poser scene, I switched off all the scene lights and ran an antialias to produce a black and white image from the same camera, camera angle and camera position. This produced a black and white image which I exported as JPG. I will use Poser Material Room to invert it using a math node, and attach it to the Transparency node of the Poser surface node. (note: no rendering done to produce this second image, simply an antialiasing over a white background).

End of scene, save and quite. Start a new Poser scene. Import my OBJ format 2D plane (vertical and resting on ground, already subdivided from Shade3D).

Go into Material Room, select the plane, attach Image node to Diffuse node, use the rendered image as image input. Attach a fresh image node to Transparency node, use the image output without lights with white background). Use a Math node to invert the image colours (ie, BW becomes WB) - you need to use subtraction node, with the transparency plugged into the subtractant (the lower value). Plug the Math node into the usual Transparency node, set transparency to 1, Transparency Egde to 1.

OK. Create Morph of the plane. I want some movement, so I use a suitable morph brush size, and use move along the screen option, so I distort the plane in a vertical direction.

Render the video to test.

Next, I plan on added more planes which contain background images, then render movie again.

• Here is a rendered version with additional planes of transparent textures:

• So, I take this as successful proof of concept that Poser can be used for 2.5D parallax animations.

• I believe that using a movement morph on the geometric plane to animate the 2D image, is more efficient for short videos with one camera, compared to animating a rigged 3D humanoid geometry for the same short-frame number video.