Need help with importing text from Blender.

• I watched a beginners tutorial on how to make a mesh out of text in Blender which imports ok but applying textures to the imported text obj isn't working right. I'm getting this:
    0_1493938274441_Texttest1.jpg

Instead of something like this:
    0_1493938322234_Texttest2.jpg

The tutorial I followed is very basic so I'm sure I'm missing some vital steps in blender and of course the proper settings for importing the .obj file into Poser. I have no clue what I'm doing in Blender though, so if you can, please keep that in mind when telling me what to do and where to go in the program. Thanks.

• @johndoe641 you have to UV map the model don't you?

• Yes, the text obj isn't UV mapped, what version of Poser are you using? can you share the output obj?

• I'm using PP11.

But man those tutorials are confusing the hell out of me. I've had Blender installed for years but I still don't know how to move the view port around and I just figured out how to delete the default box, so this uv map stuff is like alien magic.

• I'm trying to follow the second tutorial and he's selecting edges but I can't get into edge mode to select edges. FFS I'm so lost.

I just want to properly be able to apply textures to what I import into Poser, am I doing a bunch of unnecessary steps?

• @johndoe641 This screenshot should help you select Point, Edge or Face edit mode.

0_1493948731124_BlenderEditModeSelectors.jpg

BTW John, even though I've been using Blender off and on for years, I'm currently taking a Blender class at Udemy, and they're currently having a big sale on a lot of their classes.

I can tell you I like the way the instructor has set up the videos for the lessons. I found a lot of the beginning stuff boring, only because I'm not a beginner with Blender, but I've still managed to pick up some nice tips.

Oh and Ghostship's correct. It needs to be UV mapped for the textures to apply correctly.

• @johndoe641 maybe you need a refresher in Blender?

I followed this video series from never using Blender and was able to make the same scene.

• I’ve barely scratch the surface of how to use Blender but one of the first things I learned was how to UV map, and I like using Blender for that.
    Here is a very quick tutorial on how to map in Blender.

1. Select edges
    2. Click mark seams
    3. Click unwrap
      It’s that simple.
      Ok seriously.
      In edit mode,
    4. click the edge select box
    5. right click on the edges you want to be the edges of your UV map. Hold down the shift to select more than one. There are ways to speed this up, but this is a start.
    6. On the shading/UVs tab on the left click mark. If you don’t see this tab, press the T key. You don’t have to mark all your edges at once.
    7. Once you are done, with your mouse in the edit window (where your shape is) press a to select all. If you had something selected it unselected all press it again
    8. Click unwrap>unwrap
    9. The next part is optional
    10. At the top, you should see a toolbar that says file, render, window, help, and a bubble that says default. There is an up and down arrow just before the default. Click that. And select UV editing.
    11. You now have a split screen where you can see your map and manipulate it.
    12. Use G for grab and move. S for scale and r for rotate to help get your map a little more to your liking.
      There are plenty of tricks you can use to speed things up and edit more, but this is the basics. This should help you get started I hope. If you have any questions, ask.

Good luck

• This post is deleted!

• In Blender, select the text object
    Blender hot-keys are mouse sensitive, so the mouse cursor must be in the 3D viewport for these to work in the viewport.

• If it still is an editable text object (not a mesh), then
      Press {ALT}+{C} and then choose "convert from curve/meta/surf/text" to make it a mesh

With the mesh selected:
    Press {TAB} to enter edit mode
    Press {A} to select all of the editable mesh
    Press {U} to Unwrap the mesh
    Choose "Smart UV Project"
    This will generate a basic UV map for the mesh, and it's usually good enough for general use.

But to further edit the UV map —manually, there is drop-down list of pre-defined screen layouts on the main menu bar.
    [Top Left: File/Render/Window/Help...Screen Layout]
    By default is is set to ~default, but you can change it to
    "UV Editing", to get a window layout that shows the mesh UV.

alt text

• This post is deleted!