Firefly: Label on clear glass bottle?

• Poser Ambassadors

@Boni: a caveat: These Firefly glass materials are cheats, and one which works well for your "skinned mesh" bottle may not work on a mesh with glass "thickness".

Also, curvy bottles may behave differently. Further, using a liquid mesh inside the bottle may require yet another solution.

• @seachnasaigh Liquid inside a bottle does indeed require more thought, and that reminded me - the glass shader I used is taken directly from BB's Glass of Beer http://www.sharecg.com/v/81210/gallery/11/Poser/BBs-Glass-of-Beer . If I recall correctly part of the inside of the glass mesh is a separate 'glass/beer interface' material zone with appropriate glass-to-beer IOR.

The shader seems to work well on everything I've tried, including both solid and hollow curvy objects. Here it is (with the basic label) applied to the P9 cylinder, P9 open cylinder, Andy, and AllenArts floral teapot ( http://www.sharecg.com/v/87901/gallery/11/Poser/Floral-Teapot ).

0_1494398970517_stuff.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

@3dcheapskate Alas, I would need to build a different shader as this is going to be a commercial product when it is done. I don't want to "steal" a bb shader as my own. I'm going over these posts and adjusting accordingly. I'll post my results when I am ready. Again thank you everyone.

• Poser Ambassadors

I'm getting closer ... but lost ... where to fix the weave on the back ... I like that effect.

0_1494447392434_2017-05-10.png

• Re BB's shader - PM him. I don't think there's a problem using shader networks that he's published on forums (and I'm fairly sure that this glass was on a forum before, Renderosity I think) in a commercial product.

Caveat: there are one or two specific shaders that he specifically prohibits, but this isn't one of them.

• @Boni As far as I can see the back/front label nodes on yours are now identical to mine,so they should work, so it's possible that something's been 'fixed' in Poser 11 Firefly that prevents quinlor's stuff from working.
    1 - If you render from the other side (i.e. looking through the glass) do you see the weave or the label image?
    2 - Are the normals on your model correct (since it's the Poser Open cylinder I'd guess they are)? If the surface with the label material has its normal facing away from the camera you'd see the back of the label

• N.B. Any image that's seen through refraction (e.g. backdrop, back of label) seems to be badly blurred unless the filtering on the Image_Map node in question is set to 'None') - https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/723/pp2014-odd-refraction-in-material-for-drinking-glass

• Poser Ambassadors

You can use this shader in commercial props. I've published glass in forums a bazillion times and really there are only a handful of ways to do it that make any sense and, IMO, are not something one can claim to own. Same with paper - the shader for paper is not intellectual property. And blending the two according to a mask - not IP either.

• Poser Ambassadors

@3dcheapskate I'm working on your suggestions now ... thank you.

@bagginsbill Thank you for the clarification. The last thing I want to do is use someone else's intellectual property to make a profit. With partners, this is my first venture into becoming a vendor and I want to do it right.

• Poser Ambassadors

Decided to forgo the back of the label so I can move forward with this project. Here is a render using the shader sans the back of the label, plus tinting the glass as needed for project. Image plus settings.

0_1494503304835_2017-05-11.png

0_1494503346029_coloredglass.png

Again thank you all for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

• Poser Ambassadors

You have the IOR at .0154 which is WAAAAY wrong. The correct number is 1.54.

Also you should not put the blue on the Reflect. The blue should be on the Fresnel_Blend inner color. All glass reflections are white. It's the refractions that have color. Your Refract node is colored by being plugged into the Fresnel_Blend Inner_Color. Put the blue there.

• Poser Ambassadors

If you make a mesh with beverage (or scented candle) inside, then cut away the interior glass where it meets the liquid/candle.

This is the glass/label material I used...
    0_1494588804928_1MAT FF glass w label.PNG

You'll need to render with 8 raytrace bounces.
    0_1494588853723_1MAT FF glass w label T 8rtb.jpg

x~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~x

Firefly 1MAT glass+label prop

x~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~x

• Poser Ambassadors

@bagginsbill Thank you for that ... that IOR numberwas an error based on miss-interpreting earlier advice. As for the blue ... thank you ... I applied the changes to the "target" bottle (can't show it here) and wow, it turned out lovely!!

@seachnasaigh Thank you so much ... this will really come in handy! This is great!!