Does Ram (in GB) affect brush Lag?

• Hi! I love using CSP on my laptop as well as on my surface 3 (2gb ram model), but there one brush I love using for my coloring both my surface and pc can not handle. Daub fast watercolor brush. It lags so much I consider upgrading my system. My laptop has upgradable RAM (I only have 4gigs of ram on my pc) so I wanted to ask, if the amount of RAM affects the brush lag in any way, or if it is because of the proccesor on the pc.

• @ragnatoray
    [Usually] more RAM is perhaps the best and easiest upgrade to a computer, but what OS are you running, and is it 32-bit, or 64-bit OS? 32-bit cannot access more RAM.

• Brush Lag will be more from CPU and graphics processing than from lack of RAM... CSP appears to work with lower levels of Ram by switching the none active layers to disk... The current layer left in Memory...4GB will be more than enough unless your canvas is massive.... To avoid the lag you need to reduce the work that brush has to do.. e.g. can you reduce your canvas resolution or increase the brushes Gap setting ?

• @mechanaut win 10. 64-bit.

• @888toto I gues I could work with the gap settings, but I'm not sure how much, I think there's already maximum gap... but I probably could lower the resolution even tho I really don't want to :D I love that crisp fell of high detail...

• I don't know the brush you are complaining about or where its from.... Lag is usually the fault of the brush design ...e.g if the of the brush has a pointy corner or bit sticking out then you have to have too small a gap in order to smooth it. The other big problem ( and I will guess this is the case with your watercolor brush) is the use of Textures in brushes. I now try to avoid them and apply texture as a layer instead. If a brush really needs a texture it should at least be from a very small and compact tiled texture image else it can badly cause lag....i.e. make a copy of that brush and note the texture that it uses ....then remove the texture from the copied brush.... now apply that texture as a texture layer ( or in overlay or soft mix mode on a layer above the drawing layer ).... and try the copied brush now .... any better ??

• On my own Win7 x64, I had slight brush lag until I installed an Nvidia GeForce card (mainly so I could play a game called Space Engineers) , and then there was none at all.

• is it one of the "real media"-ish brushes that relies on "spraying effect" feature (found in sub-tool settings)?
    if that's the case, I'm afraid it's a cpu-intensive brush that might be sped up a little bit by tweaking particle density etc. in the settings.

how large are your working files? do you use lots of layer during painting? those two things will benefit from extra ram most.

• @nekomata I do most of the time, helps me with thigs. And I found that this brush uses a custom material as the brush shape, so I changed it and it works fine now, but it lost it's magic. But after using it now, I figured, it is a cool brush, but kinda useless, so I don't even use it anyway :D sorry everyone for causing trouble or whatever, and thanks for the help :) I appreciate it!

• @ragnatoray Ha... I have seen this a lot. people create and sell brushes that look like real media..... and its not difficult to create a brush that makes a nice authentic line ( I've done it too)..They will work fopr simple drawings like rough logos but when you try to use them for a full picture it does not really work..... particularly if the authentic look depended upon a texture assigned to the brush or the use of " border of watercolor" . I find the best approach for real media looking full pictures is to apply the color with simple pens and brushes + fill tool and then use blenders and a paper texture/canvas layer to make it look " real media".. The choice of blender is more important than the choice of brush. For watercolor you can use fairly simple, gentle, blenders... but for oil you need a blender that will drag paint with a bristle pattern. After blending you may lose some definition so you may need to re- add a few details with a simple pen tool. For Van Gogh type impasto you need a special brush ( not a blender) than adds paint ridges ( probably using Overlay mode). For watercolor you may need watercolor strong edges.... and I find the best way for this is to run an Action that adds them at the end. Oh , and of course none of this process will suffer from brush lag even on a slow computer.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.