PP2014 FFRender Hogging Resources

• @Glen85 You could convert the pics to jpeg for upload to here. There's not really a need to upload a 4mb .png image like your last pic.
    For example, here is your last pic, but it's now only a 645kb jpg as opposed to a 4,040.77kb png. I used Irfanview to 'save for web' to convert it and personally can't see any image difference.

0_1495377819471_png2jpgtest.jpg

• @Glen85

Hi Glen

Here is the render which I've rendered last night

alt text

Its rendered only at 1920x1200 and render took me 2 hours to render and if I would render that at 4k resolution I would say this render will took 3-4 hours maybe less didn't tried,I assume you do render at 4k 3840x2160

For lighting I've used 2 infinite suns,one sun at 100% with enabled shadows and second which acts as fill light without the enabled shadows at 25%

I would as above use Render in separate process,lower bucket size at 32 which should lower RAM usage,please check how much RAM yours Poser using,my scene took from RAM 2.5GB as FFrender plus Poser 2.5GB,I don't ever used render in queue which is as you said buggy

Do you have yours Poser on SSD or normal HDD and yours runtimes are on normal HDD I assume,yours CPU is 4 core/8 thread and you should set on all available cores,when I render in Separate process or Use own process I can use my PC easy and without the problem,with unticked Use Own Process or Separate Process simply PC is unusable or you can' t use PC as with enabled Use Own Process/Separate Process

Settings you have same which I do use and which works for me there when I do use,just please try render with Separate process

alt text

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @raven said in PP2014 FFRender Hogging Resources:

@Glen85 You could convert the pics to jpeg for upload to here. There's not really a need to upload a 4mb .png image like your last pic.

I didn't even think of that, as jpg is my go-to format these days and has been for years! In which case, my apologies. I'll try to remember in future.

@jura11

Thank you for this!

I run the render in a separate process, have done for years now. I don't know how much CPU and RAM it uses precisely, but it's more or less 100%, as I can close literally everything up and just have it sitting there, rendering and continually freezing up and going nuts. The Poser .exe is on my C drive, but the runtimes and temp folders are on an external and a secondary internal drive respectively.

• That's OK, it's not really a problem for me but it does make it a bit easier for people with slower connections or limited download limits and a bit easier on the uploads for you too :)

• I meant to say that png is my go-to and has been for years. Ugh. Stupid bipolar making me feel crappy and making my mind fart all the time.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Glen85
    Hi Glen, I took the liberty of looking at your render settings and my comments are only for the items I would change:

• Bucket Size at 64 => Overall a Bucket Size of 32 seems the most economical in FireFly render times.
    • Pixel Samples at 6 => This is on the edge of overkill. 4 to 5 are all that's required to get very good quality.
    • Shading Rate at 0.1 => This is a tricky one. Poser defaults to 0.2 for everything in the scene unless...... Unless you set a lower value in each and every vertex group. => Poser will only use that 0.1 setting if that 0.1 if it is set in that particular vertex group.
      So = MSR is always defaulting to 0.2 anyway. (Unless you adapted it in each and every vertex group concerned.) => This is in the manual.
    • Displacement is checked ON but you leave the value at 0.0. Better to set some value here depending on the use of a displacement map.
    • Bounces are high at 4. (I mostly use 1 to 2 and use 3 about once a year).
    • Filter => Use Sync in 3 to get the "sharpest" results.

Best regards, Tony

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters said in PP2014 FFRender Hogging Resources:

This is on the edge of overkill. 4 to 5 are all that's required to get very good quality.

Or one could say 6 is minimal and 4 to 5 is inadequate if you're doing Depth of Field. Be careful in your absolute statements.

• Poser Ambassadors

Displacement is checked ON but you leave the value at 0.0. Better to set some value here depending on the use of a displacement map.

The field is "Min" displacement bounds, and therefore a setting of 0 is appropriate unless otherwise needed. Each individual actor has its own displacment bounds. The global one is used to override that and make it even higher despite what the prop says. As this is only to be done if something is broken, because it will then increase render time and memory for ALL objects, the correct value is 0.

Bad advice, Tony.

• Poser Ambassadors

Bounces are high at 4. (I mostly use 1 to 2 and use 3 about once a year).

And I tell everybody use 4 because when they forget and they have glass surface within glass (for example a bottle), they get black refractions. I suggest you use 4 at all times and actually 6 is better. The value is not how many bounces you perform, but rather how many you will do before you refuse to do any more. It's a maximum, not the actual. Setting it higher costs nothing if your scene doesn't actually have opportunities to bounce multiple times.

Meanwhile the OP said he's doing lots of water and glass so it may be necessary. If, for example, he can see a bottle on a table on the other side of a window, then 4 isn't even enough.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Glen85 - I used to render in Firefly with similar computer spec & found that the biggest speed bumps were reflections, multiple overlapping transparencies & high samples for render DoF (i.e. more than 6). So I used to try to minimise the use of those kind of materials. With the kind of scenes you're doing I can't see any way around very long render times - speed vs. quality is usually a trade-off.

It may be worth reducing the bucket size to 8 - I don't think it'll use less resources overall, but the buckets will finish rendering quicker. Combined with changing the priority it may make Poser a bit more responsive when you want to use another program.

Also if the preview is slow & laggy, I would suggest using Groupings in the Hierarchy to drop items into. It's then easy to toggle visibility for lots of items in one click. IIRC the more vertices that are visible the more data Poser has to keep track of = performance drops significantly.

While you may not want or be able to upgrade, in Poser 11 with the Superfly engine reflections & render DoF are significantly faster than Firefly, plus the lighting for outdoor scenes is simple to setup. Had to mention it ;)

• Poser Ambassadors

@bagginsbill said in PP2014 FFRender Hogging Resources:

The field is "Min" displacement bounds, and therefore a setting of 0 is appropriate unless otherwise needed. Each individual actor has its own displacment bounds. The global one is used to override that and make it even higher despite what the prop says. As this is only to be done if something is broken, because it will then increase render time and memory for ALL objects, the correct value is 0.

This is a welcome correction to me. I have been habitually setting minimum displacement bound any time I was using displacement.

• Thanks for the replies, everyone, some really good advice (and counter-advice) in here. This is what forums are about! Questions asked, advice given, advice from others respectfully countered, all in aid of a good final outcome! Thank you!

On the note of upgrading... I have to admit that I have already upgraded to 11... I just can't get on with it. I'm not good with change, even though that's obviously what I need because current things aren't working for me (if things don't change, how will they improve, right?), I get that... I think it's another ASD thing... I'm learning more about it all the time.

The biggest thing for me with the new Poser is the new layout and library. I just don't like it at all, it's jarring, it's all weird to me. Couple all of that with the all-new shading techniques involved in SF and it just gets too much to handle for me. I know I don't have to use SF, and I don't use it because, after getting the new version, I have only used it a handful of times and have just left it really. I suppose I'm my own worst enemy with that one.

Tell you what, as you've all been awesome and helpful to me, I'm going to import the scene into the new version and render it there, with the exact same settings as before, just to give it a fair test. The settings may well not be ideal, but they ought to stay the same for the test, at least.

I'll get back to you. :)

• Hi folks,

Same result, I'm afraid! All settings the same, rendered in 11 this time. Same length of time, image was identical. I stopped it before the end, as it was hogging the system just like PP2014 was. Very odd. I'll look at the render settings tomorrow.

• Just for testing purposes, would you be willing to try rendering the scene in SF with your GTX 660?

• @johndoe641 we have a test scene that @raven posted up a few months back, there is a whole thread on it.

• So long as I don't need to change all the materials, I'll try it.

• Thank you. Downloaded and testing when the current render is complete. I'm rendering a different scene and, after much forking about, managed to set FFRender64.exe's priority to low, so I can now do something, at least. :)

• @Glen85

Hi Glen

You can try my scene, its freebie and its SuperFly scene

https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/1645/bathroom-freebie-wip-superfly/2

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• Thank you, Jura11!