Poser 12 wishlist

• @ssgbryan ROFL again. Here's the deal. We. Heard. You. Probably at least one of the other 499 times you said the same thing.

Have you ever considered that perhaps it's your presentation style that causes so many to just dismiss you no matter how many times you shout the same thing?

• Native Drop-to-Surface option would be great. I have often desired such a feature. Anything that can save me time getting on with a comic is great.

• (I mentioned this before in this thread) What would also be really useful is a way to implement cloth room tech through the morph editor, like the shrink-wrap option but more true to how cloth behaves. So basically you tell the morph brush to 'cloth wrap' this bikini to figure x (I think PhilC's toolbox does something similar bit its more like bubblewrap, right?). The option to dismiss gravity is essential there. Cloth sims (or any sims) in poser take a lot of time to prepare at the moment, and sometimes I just want a pair of undies to have a better shape without having to try and jump through hoops to make Poser not drop them to the floor instantly (in as much as I don't always mind the idea lol)... or just a quick drape function by painting in the areas to be draped, click drape and boom, morph. Sag does that a bit, but its not cloth room tech.

• Procedural Skin would be nice touch if someone can do a good job of it.

• @tastiger I'd love to see someone who knows what they are doing set up the Christensen-Burley SSS skin shaders. The potential there is really high, especially in the hands of someone like Bagginsbill.

• @Glitterati3D said in Poser 12 wishlist:

Christensen-Burley SSS

Took a quick look into that and so many math nodes would be needed that it would take forever and a day to render something that complex in Poser.

• @ghostship said in Poser 12 wishlist:

@Glitterati3D said in Poser 12 wishlist:

Christensen-Burley SSS

Took a quick look into that and so many math nodes would be needed that it would take forever and a day to render something that complex in Poser.

Ah but isn't that part of the challenge of Poser? - to push the envelope as far as one can to get the best results....

• @tastiger said in Poser 12 wishlist:

Procedural Skin would be nice touch if someone can do a good job of it.

I've often fantasized about having a procedural skin shader that responds to color-coded maps, where the colors correspond to skin with pores, skin with goose bumps, smooth skin, thick skin, freckled, wrinkled skin even. That could be interesting.

@tastiger said in Poser 12 wishlist:

Ah but isn't that part of the challenge of Poser? - to push the envelope as far as one can to get the best results....

hehe I couldn't resist to respond to this, but its an interesting question. For me that is a yes and a no. Pushing the envelope in Poser is only relevant to people that want to achieve some kind of technical level with Poser, or people that enjoy a puzzle, whereas I'm more about telling a story and I like the 3D medium because of its visual power, accessibility and speed. Poser just adds to this by being so simple to use alongside 3DSMax, zBrush and Photoshop. This is why you'll see that most of my requests are more about efficiency and speeding up the process, because in all honesty, I'd rather spend more time entertaining fans than trying to figure out how to do this or that. For example: I've never solved a crossword puzzle in my entire life. There is no value in it for me, but if it entertained people, then I might have. Another example is that I've never been particularly interested in anatomy, but I've taught myself a fair bit along the way because it makes my girls more convincing, which is good for my art.

Of course within the context of this visual power I mention, therein lies the need to at least try and make it look as appealing as you can, so a certain amount of pushing the envelope is needed, but that is also subject to the artist, and his/her readers. I created Lali's Bits not as a challenge, but as a need. Just like my comic figure and PE now, I don't enjoy making figures at all, but I need them. But beyond that, I could care less for all the latest gadgets. We've been reading comics drawn with a pen and pencil for decades, and I highly doubt that guys like Herge spent as much time as we did perfecting his pencil stroke. He probably just got on with the story.

So yeah I'll only push the envelope, if it will get me to where I want to go. Interesting question :D

• Poser Ambassadors

Just poured a fresh cup of coffee.
    Lit my cigarette waiting.

• Still waiting.

For someone to ask for a Poser version in Braille.
    ;-)

• @vilters said in Poser 12 wishlist:

Just poured a fresh cup of coffee.
    Lit my cigarette waiting.

• Still waiting.

For someone to ask for a Poser version in Braille.
    ;-)

Let them first fix up CR2 before attempting to write in a new code!

• @tastiger Push the envelope? Not when my beer money rides on getting out lots of renders.

• Poser Ambassadors

Layers, folders or groups in the Hierarchy editor, that can be collapsed, turned invisible, deleted, etc.

Just about every 3D (and 2D) software I've ever used has some version of this as a standard feature, but not Poser. Even Wings3D has a folder system that multiple geometries can be added to. In Poser you just have a hierarchy editor, and with a full scene, scrolling through it can take forever.

Poser has animation layers, but not geometry layers.

• @AmbientShade Yes, I've posted about the need for collapsing items in the Hierarchy Editor. In fact, I'd like to see it collapse by group/item by default. That way, I can expand only the group/item I want to work on, but at the very least, being able to collapse all at once would save a whole lot of time for me.

• @vilters "Haven't seen the rest? Now feel the best!" ;-)

• Poser Ambassadors

@Miss-B It's more than just collapsing, but the ability to add multiple objects to a group layer. Example would be to add all the figures in the scene to one group, all the architecture in the scene to another group, etc. Then you could turn visibility on and off for each of your layers as needed.

Ability to select multiple items at once is also pretty important.

It could be done with a 3rd party script, but the problem with scripts is that often they need to be updated with each new version of Poser. And sometimes the script author disappears or quits supporting their scripts for various reasons, rendering them unusable for future versions.

• I'd like to see a pose interpolation feature (please don't hit me because of where I saw it and the fact that I liked the idea regardless of the source) similar to what one of the DAZ Studio plugins provides: I.e. Without having to apply poses at separated frames, and then choose an intermediate frame representing your preferred mix of the two (only) poses, and save that to the library, then reload it after you've cleared the original range of frames with the first two poses, (which is how Poser works at the moment); Choose a number of poses from the library (with some limit, perhaps, but at least two, and even three or more) and then use sliders or a GUI to choose what proportion of each selected pose to apply, all while the resulting mix-pose is applied to the selected figure in the scene, as though you were dialling the parameters directly, with no keyframes but the current one affected. When you find the proportions you want, click apply or just dismiss the GUI, or click save and have the new pose saved to the Library.

• This thread is still going? Aha! In that case... *rummages around through notes...

• @AmbientShade said in Poser 12 wishlist:

@Miss-B It's more than just collapsing, but the ability to add multiple objects to a group layer. Example would be to add all the figures in the scene to one group, all the architecture in the scene to another group, etc. Then you could turn visibility on and off for each of your layers as needed.

AHA, OK. If I'm understanding you correctly, I used to do that in DS all the time. DS has an option to add a "Null" figure to a scene. The Null is invisible, but I used to use them to group all my lights together, my cameras together, my scene props/architecture together, and my character, clothing, hair, etc. together. The beauty of it was I could grab the Null and move it when necessary, instead of having to move every individual item in the group individually. If that's what you're referring to, yes that would be great. I use Joe's (Netherworks) Scene Toy Pro for that, but not everyone can afford to buy his goodies.

I don't recall if turning off the group in DS would make all the contents invisible though. I'd have to check that out, but certainly would be a nice feature as well.

• @Miss-B
    Not being familiar with the null object in DS, I'm thinking that Poser does what you are saying with a grouping object (Object > Create Grouping). Page 263 in the current Poser manual.

And yes, toggling the visibility of a grouping object will "hide" anything that is a child of it.

• @Deecey Oh right. I don't play with a lot of Poser's goodies, but I have heard folks talk about the Grouping tool, so I'll definitely have to try it out.

• @Miss-B The grouping tool sucks. Always has. I only use it now for defining cloth and hair groups. And that's only recently.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.