How SM can turn Poser's market share around....

• Poser Ambassadors

@ssgbryan This is not true. I know from the RDNA times almost all vendors claim that they are sick and tired to create stuff for old Poser versions but also have no desire to make content for two versions.
    So they create stuff which was compatible for Poser 7+ to save time.
    Not the vendors refuse the new Technic, Poser user don't upgrade or stick with old workflow.

• @redphantom said in How SM can turn Poser's market share around....:

So it's not poser being able to use older content that is the problem, it's people (vendors) refusing to use the new features. So unless Smith Mirco can force all content makers to use only new features, there isn't much they can do.

Yes, they can have new poser versions to not include old things, but really what is the obsolete features? Textures? We still use firefly. Not everyone has upgraded to P11. Rigging? Maybe, probably the most likely. I guess we don't need old figures, though the variety is nice for those of us that render crowds. But what about rigged props? Rooms, cabinets, and chests have old rigging. They don't need weight mapping. we not only lose all older people but some older props too.

Not everyone has upgraded to Poser 11, but over 90% of folks appear to be at Poser 9 or later.

Yes - as an end user I'd say that yeah, vendors are the biggest bottleneck. Too many refuse to leave Oct 2007 behind.

When I gripe about idjit vendors, I am talking about making content for newer figures using Poser 6 standards. Material .pz2s, runningfilenamestoghether because DOS, _adding_unnecessary_underscores; or leading !!!!!!!!, that mess up the search function; ego folders, etc...

• Poser Ambassadors

@ssgbryan said in How SM can turn Poser's market share around....:

@Deecey

There are no enduser tools to retrofit gen 3 tech into any other figure.

With the g figures, the enduser gets stuck on an endless upgrade cycle. Poser users don't.

Yes there is. I use sometimes DS. Have all Genesis Versions and use many times outfit which was made for Gen 2 on the newest Gen8 .A bit tricky, but it works. Gen 2 stuff on Gen 3 almost zero problems.

• @Ladonna said in How SM can turn Poser's market share around....:

Yes there is. I use sometimes DS. Have all Genesis Versions and use many times outfit which was made for Gen 2 on the newest Gen8 .A bit tricky, but it works. Gen 2 stuff on Gen 3 almost zero problems.

Try to get a gen 3 outfit on gen 1. (gen 1 still makes the best non humans)

• Poser Ambassadors

Here Genesis 8 with Genesis 2 Outfit. Takes 1-2 minutes.

0_1516736712436_Test.png

• Poser Ambassadors

@ssgbryan Okay here I guess are some issues, never try, because never liked so much Gen1 .
    But from 2-8 no issues.

• Poser Ambassadors

One thing I have noticed is that contents I have been creating with PP11 don't always work in P9. This is not because I don't want to support older versions, but instead that something inside PP11 is breaking the compatibility. Store QAV have reported problems spread across different areas, such as morphs that malfunction, and materials that apply incorrectly (or not at all).

So I am no longer supporting P9 because SMS doesn't let me. I have several store products that were designed to be compatible with P9+, but in practice have only worked in P10 and P11. I think this has started around P11 SR-3, and since then backward support for P9 has been flaky at best.

• @eclark1849 said in How SM can turn Poser's market share around....:

You know, another major difference between Poser and DAZ is backwards compatibility. For Poser it seems to be everything, For DAZ, they don't really care

If we are talking apps only, it's simply not true in mine opinion. Not talking about more or less regular API breaking by both, let's look at P11. Simulation format was changed. FF behavior was slightly changed. Last big change in compatibility in DS was duf implementation IIRC.

@eclark1849 said in How SM can turn Poser's market share around....:

In fact, their whole business paradigm rests on the concept of planned obsolescence.

We talk content here, right? Well, probably partly yes. Like with almost any consumer goods manufacturer nowadays. It's even less grating in 3D, as obsolescence here means a fall from the trend, not shortened operation time IRL. And while it's probably a part of the marketplace policy (and yes, again, as with almost any other..., big guys conspiracy and so on), it's not a forbidding policy. Hairs (even down to V4), scripts, jewelry, weapons still emerge from time to time... not many, but still.

Content recycling... This partially grating, yes. But more in a way "I want something new from this vendor", or I should rage when some vendor makes versions from the same outfits for PE, Pauline, V4... and I'm not. I'm glad when there are dedicated versions.

@Deecey said in How SM can turn Poser's market share around....:

I really don't see anything different between the two. I'm not trying to argue, I just miss the whole point of the complaint. I am not into software bashing and I will not go there. 8-)
    Yes. This.

• Poser Ambassadors

After all, Poser is still a great Software, ( my fav one (¬‿¬) ) .Even when it has flaws , ( which Software does not?)
    With Evolution now we have a cool, great looking , shiny new figure. High quality. It is now up the the user and vendors to make the best about this opportunity .
    No more excuses that Poser need a new sophisticated figure to catch up on DS.
    Other , the new Poser team is working hard to catch up on Poser. They update already a lot and do a great job here.

• FYI from the latest SM earnings call: "Lastly, on to our graphics group. Fiscal 2017 was all about rebuilding, rebranding and reengaging with a significant and diverse customer base our graphics products attract. I am pleased with this significant progress that was made in 2017 as we maintained a very profitable business unit while rebuilding it from the ground up. "