3rd Party Marketplace - Royalty Free Content for Poser

• @shvrdavid I'm just wondering but are the rendered images from Blender and Fluid Designer "royalty-free" for commercial uses?

• Poser Ambassadors

Twister, you've mentioned royalty free numerous times. I have never seen Poser 3D or 2D content that had royalty requirements, i.e. the copyright holder (free stuff) or vendor (if sold to you) expects you to pay them for each image that used the content.

I suppose there COULD be such agreements, but none of the common Poser-related content stores ever support that arrangement.

What they DO say is they may restrict your use of the content so that you can't use it at all in a commercial render. Terms of this nature are always clearly stated even on free items.

(Typically free items says: Free for commercial use, or free for personal use only)

I have never seen a paid-for content item have a restriction that you cannot use it to produce commercial images. That's almost nonsense in this community. If you bought it you can render with it even if you sell the images you rendered.

What you CAN NOT do is make copies (or derivatives) of the content you bought and distribute those, EXCEPT when the license explicitly says "Game dev" or "Extended" - although you would always want to read the fine print. But generally the community knows and assumes "Game dev" or "extended" means you can do more than just render it.

Nobody EVER says you can do LESS than just render it. And again - I don't know of ANY royalty requirements at all.

Of course there COULD be exceptions but your constant use of the term "royalty" needs to set expectations to the opposite.

• Perhaps Twister is from the 2D world where ai, esp, pngs formats etc have very strange commercial usage rights, where they limit the number of times you can use the image on a web site or in print by the amount of money that you pay for the item. The stock image sites all have different buying options for volume licensing and I think there is something called an Angel clause ? that limits how many times images can be used - all very confusing

• Poser Ambassadors

@Twister1996 said in 3rd Party Marketplace - Royalty Free Content for Poser:

@ibr_remote Oh wow, this is a pretty good software. CC license means creative common, but would you happen to know if the rendered images are royalty free for commercial products?

First, it's Creative Commons (with an s at the end)
    Second there are more than one so just saying CC doesn't mean much.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

CC BY is very different from CC BY-NC-ND

Anyway, CC licenses are all free - never a royalty. They do restrict what you can do, how you license your own derivative works, and what you must do to give credit to the original content creator.

• @bagginsbill Adi is correct, I'm more from the 2D world and stock images from stock marketplaces have different licenses. Some of them put restrictions on how many times an image can be used in commercial products.

As for 3D softwares, I simply wanted more clarity cause I spoke to Poser Support and they told me I retain the rights with Poser's built in content, but after market (3rd Party) EULA may limit use of images rendered.

I was wondering what the situation is for the other 3D softwares that others are recommending here. Are their rendered images "unrestricted" royalty-free for commercial use, or do they have special licensing agreements.

• @adi Yes, you are spot on. I'm more from the 2D world and their licensing agreements are complicated. Not only that, but some creators differentiate with the term "commercial" rights. Some allow their images to be included in for sale products (t shirts, coffee mugs, magazines, etc), while others deem "commercial" as in developer rights (developing client's projects).

• Poser Ambassadors

As I've been saying and am not making clear.

Limiting your use is not the same as charging you a royalty. None of them charge a royalty. Many limit your use. Most things you get for free will say if commercial use is OK or not, but will never ask for royalty. They're free.

Things you pay for almost always say commercial use is OK without limit, and almost never ask for royalty. You paid up front, one time.

Broadly speaking, all the 3D stores with Poser content follow these general behaviors.

Redistribution of content (not renders) is almost never allowed without special arrangements.

• @bagginsbill said in 3rd Party Marketplace - Royalty Free Content for Poser:

Many limit your use.

1. None of them charge a royalty

This is what I'm interested in.

1. Many limit your use.

This is what I'm not interested in. If my goal is to use rendered images in commercial products in books, videos, or even on a coffee mug, now I have to monitor sales - and that defeats my purposes.

So I'm only interested in 3D softwares which renders images that meet both my criteria

1. completely royalty-free
    2. no limit on usage

• @Twister1996
    I think you're missing the point.
    This will depend on fine print, but when you buy a 3D asset it has bits in it: the geometry, the textures, morphs and the like. Limited use restricts what you are allowed to do with those bits. They do NOT limit what you do with the renders. The render is a single entity that is a product of your use with the bits.

Think of it as a kit. You assemble the kit. The manufacturer says you cannot copy the kit. OK, fine. You assemble the kit and take a photo of it. Does the manufacturer own or have rights restrictions on the picture? No.

Generally speaking, for ANY content sold for Poser, YOU are the creator of the final render and YOU have control over usage restrictions of the render.

• @piersyf I see your point, and I was aware that the actual source cannot be distributed or resold. Though from your explanation, it seems "limited use" might disallow modification to the original 3d image. Which is kind of strange since I won't be allow to change the color of a purchased license 3D sofa (for example) to fit my scene. Or I can't enlarge it, remove the flower decorations from the sofa, or change the shape of it. I believe in 2D stocks images, modifications are allowed. But they restrict how many final renders can be included in commercial products I sell (10,000 coffee mugs for examples). So if I purchased a 2D picture of Mickey Mouse, I'm not allow to exceed 10,000 coffee mugs with that image on it.

So to keep it simple, most of the 3d assets I buy from Renderosity, Hivewire, Poserworld, and other marketplaces, allows for unlimited production (copies) of the final render as part of items I sell. The limited use means there's a restriction of what I can do to the source of that 3D asset.

• @Twister1996
    Yes. My cautionary caveat was just that; I cannot speak for every vendor. That said, even people who sell entire furnished buildings as a single object cannot stop you manipulating that mesh in another program to remove the offending flower arrangement and rendering the result. That render is yours forever to make a bazillion copies of and sell them all if you can. You just can't sell the modified mesh.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Twister1996
    You can change or modify the 3d objects as you please. Many vendors even make living of creating morphs and texture packs for existing props and figures. The only restriction is however that you cannot distribute anything from the original 3d object or its textures. That is why they sell INJ, files or MAT files (which contain the changes) and tell you what the required product (which you need to own) to be able to use it.

The renders you create however have no limitation at all and you can do with them as you please

• @piersyf said in 3rd Party Marketplace - Royalty Free Content for Poser:

You just can't sell the modified mesh.

You mean, "you just can't see the modified mesh" by itself. It has to part of a final render preferably with other prop(s) and such, as part of a generally acceptable output - digital (ebooks, videos, websites, banner ads, youtube videos, etc.) or physical (t shirts, coffee mugs, trading cards, etc.)

• @Twister1996
    No, I meant what I wrote. If you modify the product (mesh and textures) you cannot resell it (the product). You CAN sell any renders of it, modified or not. The renders are your work, the program and products are the tools. As wimvdb said, some people make money from selling morphs or textures for existing products. Many products come with the templates to actually facilitate changing of textures.

• @piersyf It's really the same as my response. The asset, modified or original, cannot be resold by itself. But can be part of a final render that can be sold. This is pretty much the same policy with 2D stock images.

• Poser Ambassadors

Actually, this is very simple: You can sell everything "you" make.

=> You can sell the object files, textures, or renders "you" make.

You can NOT distribute or sell the original object files or the original textures that you bought to create the scene to make the render.
    => Those object file and textures rights will always belong to the creator unless specified otherwise in the read-me that came with the purchase.

You can sell the delta's (morphs) of an obj, but you can not distribute or sell the original. => Use injections to distribute or sell the morphs.

Did you look at my youtube channel on how to "customise" Poser content?

• @vilters That's ok, I have no interest in reselling or distributing original sources. I'm just interested in including them in my final renders to be part of products I will sell (books, videos, and maybe physical items like t shirts, coffee mugs, etc.)

I will look at your videos soon.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Twister1996
    Final renders are always yours to do with as you please.
    Best regards, and have fun using the Poser tools.

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters said in 3rd Party Marketplace - Royalty Free Content for Poser:

@Twister1996
    Final renders are always yours to do with as you please.

Almost! And this is what I said earlier and now has got lost.

Renders made with FREE stuff can be restricted by the FREE stuff authors.
    The blanket statement that renders are always yours to do with as you please is wrong because it says ALWAYS in it.
    The correct statement is renders made only with paid-for content are yours to do with as you please.

As I said, some free-stuff vendors offer the free item ONLY with the provision that you cannot profit from its use in an image.

This is particularly true when a paid-for (not free) variant of the item exists as well.

And there is the CC BY license where you are indeed free to do whatever you want with the renders made with the free content (even share that content)! BUT you must include visible attribution of the original item's origin.

For example, if you receive a lace texture with a CC BY license, and you use it to render a book cover, then somewhere in the book's pages or cover you have to provide a message that the lace was used from that author, a link to where you got it from, and indicate whether you used it as-is or you modified it.

Note carefully (particularly if English is a second language) that the CC BY license is not a restriction, but rather an "obligation". That's why some legal documents will say "without restriction or obligation" -- they are not the same thing and both must be identified.

The point is that paid-for items rarely have restrictions or obligations on the renders, while free items frequently DO!!!