Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

• Just an idea. Why not a "GoBlend"? Works like GoZ, only with Blender. Lots of Poser folk use Blender anyway.

• @masterstroke ABSOLUTELY!!! I would love to have such a link!

• You would think that something so simple, but essential would have already have been built into Poser by now, but How about adding a cloth naturalizer for both Cloth Physics and the Cloth Sims? Truth is, that a lot of Poser's setting can and should be automatic functions within the program. For the Hair room, the settings for Straight, curly, or even nappy hair should be built in. Press the button for the correct settings and then apply. Same thing for the Cloth Room and Bullet Physics. Denim, rubber, silk, nylon and satin should all have settings built in. No one says you can't still customize them, but they should have a common starting point.

• Poser Ambassadors

@masterstroke I remember others talking about this connection several years ago ... and the answer at the time was because of Blender's open source ... constant change made this practically impossible ... but I think there was a "stabilization" that might make this more possible now.

• Poser Ambassadors

@boni
    Hi all.

Unfortunately, and YES =>I filed an enhancement report to SMS for a "GoBlender" a couple of years ago already.

See? Why not.

• There are lots (thousands) of exiting add-ons for Blender 2.79.
    • Blender 2.8 is such a big internal change that each and every add-on has to be re-written or be doomed in history.

Same as for Miss Grey Blob from a competing company, SMS and Poser can not depend on other figures, softwares or companies.

Best regards all. Tony

• @vilters said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

Miss Grey Blob

Is that really necessary?
    You might not like that figure but there are plenty of people that do.

• I was reviewing my humanoid animation options for Poser-friendly content last evening. I tried manually creating dance sequences using key-frames and steps learned from Dance Rush Stardom arcade system. I realise that a lot of BVH-related software is about 10 years old, now, and quite a number of stand-alones have slowly gone the way of the dinosaurs. Existing plug-n-play BVHs don't really work with various humanoid rigs because the bones and bone-naming conventions vary. Also, not all plug-n-play BVHs work correctly, even if bone-naming is friendly to Poser convention bone rigs. I can't even talk about Daz Studio character rigs because they're like a user-facing black box. I would love to be able to drag joints and have the figure physically accurately moved, as in Design Doll posing, or MikuMikuDance, or Vroid, or Bot3DEditor. Granted these are for anime-style chracters, but the underlying concepts of humanoid figure animation surely can be developed for a Poser-friendly system.

• @eclark1849 I wish to have a Shadow Capture facility in Cycles Surface Nodes regime, just like the facility available in Blender3D Cycles, effective from Blender3D version 2.79. It can be used with the layers in the Material Room for shadow only effects on planes, similar to the function only available currently for Poser Surface Nodes.

• @ibr_remote I think the solution would be a full-blown Cycles render engine within Poser. Make it so it can be updated easily when Blender gets updated. That would solve so many issues with SF. Could still have FF and SF in there but those of us that dig the Cycles thing could do that.

• @ghostship But then you'll run into"Poserthink" people who believe everything in Poser has to be backward compatible. Frankly, I believe that Poser's belief in backwards compatibility is holding us back.

• @eclark1849 That's why I say leave in FF and Superfly. Backward compatibility while looking to the future. From what the devs have said so far about SF is that it can't be easily updated so, fine, leave it and add the full blown cycles and make it so dev maintenance is minimal to update.

• As much as I want so much to have some things that are available in Cycles for Poser - micromesh displacement, I'm STARING at you -, I don't think having a built-in port to send to Cycles would help vendors. We'd have to worry about compatibility with Firefly, Superfly AND Blender, and keeping in mind that most users stay in the comfortable zone of the program's basics (just look at how many people won't even use Superfly as it is, or won't touch dynamics), we could have a hard time trying to troubleshoot things with buyers not finding their way around Cycles.

Mind you, I'm not complaining about wanting to stay in the comfortable zone - wanting what's easy and sweet is perfectly valid. We can't all be tinkerers LOL

• @eclark1849 I absolutely agree with this, it's the reason Poser is lacking and falling behind so hard right now.

@ghostship said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@eclark1849 That's why I say leave in FF and Superfly. Backward compatibility while looking to the future. From what the devs have said so far about SF is that it can't be easily updated so, fine, leave it and add the full blown cycles and make it so dev maintenance is minimal to update.

The problem with that is feature bloat, you end up having three render engines that require resources that SM probably doesn't have.

While I do agree that they need to fully integrate cycles proper, I don't think keeping the hybrid mish mosh mess they gave us with SF is needed. It should either be full cycles integration or get out of it completely and use IRAY/LUX/Octane or something else that will get constant updates and upgrades. Though from what I understand, SF is close enough to full Cycles that the transition between the two nodes systems shouldn't be too daunting and having to redo shaders for compatibility should be a small payoff for what's been developed for Cycles lately.

Right now, what we have with SF is an outdated hybrid rendering system that lacks many of the features people really want and ZERO support for current rendering hardware. Anyone who buys a modern computer or modern graphics card is screwed over because SF doesn't support Turing at all and it probably never will. That is extremely stupid, absolutely frustrating for those of us who are looking to upgrade and showed an incredible lack of future proofing on SM's part. The lack of any communication from SM is also something that's really pissing me off.

• I wonder how many are willing to pay higher prices for a yet 3rd render engine on vendor products.

I, for one, have no intention of adding yet another render engine to my products at the same price. Nor will I "go back and fix" all those Superfly textures for free.

Honestly, this is crazy talk. Vendors are losing our shirts now on product pricing and we're supposed to do all this at the same price point? I think not.

• @glitterati3d said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

I wonder how many are willing to pay higher prices for a yet 3rd render engine on vendor products.

I, for one, have no intention of adding yet another render engine to my products at the same price. Nor will I "go back and fix" all those Superfly textures for free.

Honestly, this is crazy talk. Vendors are losing our shirts now on product pricing and we're supposed to do all this at the same price point? I think not.

It's not crazy talk, SF is a dead end. If it were ever somehow updated, it would need to be cannibalized and redone anyway to avoid being stuck again.

And if Cycles was fully implemented there's a plethora of free cycles shaders/nodes that are better than many vendor supplied materials that can cover anything you think of. So you wouldn't have to "go back and fix" everything because the majority of SF users are already versed in Poser and know what they're doing. The people that don't are the ones that are still using FF and can't tell the difference between SF and FF in the first place.

• I have a mac and I use poser 11 pro which is supposedly 64 bit, but i got the future incompatibility message last night. so really worried about updating to the next OS.![alt text](!0_1560227131333_Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 11.13.09 pm.png

• @estherau this is, of course, a great worry. What hardware are you on? I have a mid-2011 27" iMac running macos 10.12 Sierra (and another boot volume with 10.13 High Sierra for occasional testing) which is not officially supported by the latest 10.14 (Mojave) released OS, let alone macos 10.15 (Catalina), though there may be hacks that eventually allow that to occur.

But having Poser not run under a particular OS will be an absolute showstopper for me. If I were to win the lottery (must remember to buy a ticket, though) I would look at upgrading my hardware, but the latest hardware would come with the latest OS, and could mean that the upgrade path for MacOS users closes the door on Poser forever. Not a thought I want to dwell on.

• I'm using mohave.
    latest version which is 10.14.5 and running an imac pro.

• @estherau well, you're fine for an OS upgrade, unless it won't let Poser run. I used to be an early adopter, but I've been bitten too many times with the last few major OS upgrades bollixing software I need for my workflow to be comfortable upgrading without prior confirmation of software compatibility.

Still, we've already heard the likely SM response to not supporting Turing graphics cards, though I'm not expecting them to be any part of the Mac hardware lineup any time soon, unless in external enclosures.

• @estherau To be honest, I used to be a "Mac or die" person back when I was using PP2014. Most of my CP products were made on a Mac. Problem was, I needed portability and only had a PC laptop, plus Apple kept upgrading it's OS which eventually, my Mac Mini couldn't support. I didn't have the money to upgrade my Mac, so eventually I made the switch to Windows fulltime. Plus, my laptop can run DS, which my Mac never could. Don't get me wrong. I loved my Mac, and I miss it. But I've barely fired it up since I've been on my laptop, and still running Windows 7 which I know eventually I'll have to give up.