Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

• @eclark1849 Try this. Set your preferred state. I would set a UI dot before the next bit. Now during that session, just for an example, undock a window and drag it anywhere. Now exit Poser. Relaunch Poser, and it won't load to your saved preferred state, it loads to the state it was in when you closed Poser. That's why I suggested the UI dot for that little test.
    To circumvent this I set the Poser UI Prefs(your screen res here).xml file that controls the interface to read only so any interface changes I make don't get saved and I do indeed load to my preferred state.

• @raven Maybe it's just me then. I set Poser the way I like it to open and it launches that way when I next open it. Usually one of the first things I do when I first get Poser is to set the preferred state. I trash the default figure, James or Andy, trash the lights, although I haven't found a default light setting that I like and it launches that way for me until I change it again.

• @eclark1849 Yes, if you don't move any parts of the interface, it does reopen to the preferred state. But did you try the little scenario I posted above? Sometimes you may need to move a part of the interface for some reason, or have a different one opened and docked, and then when you exit it loads how you left it, not the way it's been set to load.

• @raven That sounds more like a Bug fix is needed. We already have the feature.

• Global Moderator

@RobZhena I don't think the word limit is too restrictive; I'm pretty sure you can go over it. However, the intention behind suggesting 200 characters was to submit multiple, organized suggestions. That way we can very clearly keep track of each one, making feedback more meaningful and useful.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 This is not a bug, it was designed to be this way, and that's why I have posted a request for them to change it. When you looked at the configuration and found a "launch to preferred state", that is in the "Document" tab. That only refers to what content loads by default, not the interface.

Switch to the next tab, the "Interface" one, and you will see there only available options are:

1. Launch to Previous State, and
    2. Launch to Factory State.

There is no "Launch to Preferred State" when it comes to the interface, and therefore what you have experienced is NOT a bug. It's how SMS designed it to be.

My temporary solution until this is solved has been to write-protect the configuration XML file, so Poser won't overwrite it every time we close the program.

• @ssgbryan said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@fbs7 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@erogenesis said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@ssgbryan said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

1. A responsive UI when doing a crowd scene. Once I load 6 fully clothed characters, the UI becomes quite balky. I have a 4,1 8-core Mac Pro with 48Gb of ram - I shouldn't be able to get a cup of coffee every time I move something in a crowd scene.

Wow... how odd. I very rarely have less than 10 toons in a scene, all of them fully clothed with conforming (no funny stuffy here!).

I never noticed problems with preview, but realtime movie becomes slow - I get say 3-4 fps with that. So I got the habit of merging all conforming clothes into new characters (and hide the old separated ones) and then using a little poly reduction, so now I only have 10 figures instead of 50-60 figures. With the clothes merged and some poly reduction I can usually get 8 fps. If I take bending off selected toons that I'm not working on them atm I can easily get 12 fps, which is my target for realtime movie preview.

I have an Intel 4-core/8-thread machine with 16 GB ram.

Once I go over 6Gb, the UI goes to crap. I don't know if the problem is OSX or Poser. Apple keeps changing how they do garbage collection in each version of OSX, so I am constantly having to clear the system cache. In addition, Poser isn't letting memory go, and neither does OSX.

Hmmm... I just did a test... I added 40 Andy2 to the default scene, and the rotations are somewhat slow, but hardly noticeble; I see 850 MB memory utilization.

The difference between hardware shadows and no shadows is just a little bit in speed (nothing in memory), and the preview runs at about 3-4 fps (I didn't clock, though); that;s wth default preview settings.

• @fbs7 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

The difference between hardware shadows and no shadows is just a little bit in speed (nothing in memory), and the preview runs at about 3-4 fps (I didn't clock, though); that;s wth default preview settings.

So maybe the textures is what is getting you in trouble with speed?

• So, M. anniespewak, here's a Super-Suggestion for SM.

Add an option in the menu.. "Check My Document". That does a consistency check over the data structures that are will saved in the PZZ and in the Settings file, and tells if something is broken and will cause Poser to blow up.

I know, there are probably hundreds such data structures. But if there's something wrong (like a broken mesh) that will probably cause something else to blow up (say Poser crashes when trying to run a cloth simulation or whatever). We'll only know if something is wrong when the thing blow up, which may be weeks or months after the original breakage.

So if we have such check available, then we do something complicated like poly reduction or add morphs, then we can check right away if the complicated operation broke something or not, and provide immediate feedback for that, like "Uh-uh, poly reducing Andy2 to 1 polygon is breaking my morphs!!" instead of "What a hellucka-bucka-ducka, this thing is blowing up on me and I didn't do anything!!".

Also, that will avoid reusing broken documents into new work, which will only propagate whatever problem the thing has. I for one am always reusing documents to new scenes, because I tend to use the same toons over and over again, so I see no point in re-adding and re-conforming all of them,

• Python access to Hierarchy Editor - what is selected in it. Not in the scene, in the hierarchy editor - so we can run scripts over multiple selections.

• Align, distribute, snap...

• Ability to export to 3D printer.

• @A_Sunbeam there might be legal reasons that you can or cannot 3d-print models.

• @ghostship

Didn't seem to slow Daz down any - they had a big push about 3D printing their figures.

• @ssgbryan I could be mis-remembering this but wasn't it that they were offering a 3d printed version of your posed figure for a fee? This is much different then exporting your file to a printer you own or can have mass printed or injection molded.

• I meant to say "than" not "then." I do speak English. LOL

• While some have said Daz's copywrite may forbid the printing, I could be wrong. I've also heard there are issues with the way the poser objects are made that would also be a problem. There would need to be some serious conversions happening.

• @ghostship said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@A_Sunbeam there might be legal reasons that you can or cannot 3d-print models.

If you have your own 3d printer and you are printing for yourself only there shouldn't be legal reasons.. The problem comes when you send the file for someone else to print or possibly if you were to distribute the resulting figurines

• @KittyBrown that is what I was getting at. I guess SM don't have any legal issues with 3rd party figures but they may not want included content mass produced by someone so they can sell them for a profit.

• @ghostship said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@KittyBrown that is what I was getting at. I guess SM don't have any legal issues with 3rd party figures but they may not want included content mass produced by someone so they can sell them for a profit.

Also there is a bit to making a model 3d print ready. I'd say the features required are a bit out of scope for poser tbh.... though i do agree it would be a cool feature

• Poser Ambassadors

On the tech side :

• To print 3D models they have to be closed geometry.
      Example : The gap between eyes and face has to be closed,
      Example 2 :Most lashes are unwelded and "floating" in front of the head.

While all this is possible you change vertex order by doing so thus loosing all morphs.

• Again on the closed mesh.
      The same goes for clothing, hair, props that "belong" to the figure to print.
      They also have to be completely closed up and integrated/combined with the figure.

It takes a lot of fine detailed work to prepare a mesh for 3D print.

It all "can" be done, and has been done, with our existing Poser meshes, , but often it is simpler to model a mesh for 3D print from the ground up.

Best regards, Tony

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.