Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

• Another suggestion: a command to save a thumbnail jpeg of the current file, and then use that thumbnail in the File Open.

When you have several hundred files around it's kinda hard to remember which file is what...

• Just to be clear, I am not talking about locking parts, I am talking about select the body parts you want the pose is applied

• On applying poses to specific rigging groups:

Instead of anything complex, applying poses to specific body parts could be very easy with a dialogue and one that is user-selectable:

Double-click, "apply entire pose", behavior with one step isn't altered.

However, at the bottom of the Pose Library menu is a new icon, like the "Single/Double Checkmark functionality." So, clicking on this icon will result in a small dialogue popping up asking the User which rigging group the highlighted pose should be applied to. There's a rigging hiearchy tree to check/uncheck and a cancel/OK button.

A note or warning would also be there for poses that only apply materials and/or morphs/injections. ie: "This selection dialogue only applies to rigging rotations or primary figure origin/hip translations, not to materials, injections, etc, which will not be effected by any selections in this dialogue."

Problem solved - Now all rigging pose content can be used and mixed-and-matched for optimum versatility. It's also important to note that content creators will not have to create partial-poses for their content to be used as such by users of new versions of Poser, however they can do so and won't be limited by this new functionality.

Note: There is or are already python script packages being sold that do this, but they are much more cumbersome to use than one already incorporated in a future version of Poser.

• Ah, thank you for the clarification!
    Unfortunately I missed your post on the previous page, sorry for that.

But you're right:
    A feature to select body parts already when "creating" a pose is a mighty good idea. It would make creation of partial poses a piece of cake!

B.t.w., "Morph Writer Panel" can do this already:
    Just select the body parts you want to be included and save the pose.
    One BIG advantage IMO is that "Morph Writer Panel" saves the pose by the global rotation values (that is, local dial value PLUS ERC values, like those induced by the "Easy Pose" master parameters)!

Big improvement which SM should incorporate IF they update the "Write Pose" function to work the way you suggsted.

Karina

• Another little thing, we can delete morph dials in groups, not one by one. I don't know if we can do it now.

It would be very useful when you want to delete a big list of morphs of a body part.

• @adh3d said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

Another little thing, we can delete morph dials in groups, not one by one. I don't know if we can do it now.

It would be very useful when you want to delete a big list of morphs of a body part.

Just went through doing this, by hand, for each morph and FBM in an old figure I had stuffed everything into. It was a pain, but not terribly so. I'd certainly appreciate a "shift-click-add-to-selection" capability, there. Not sure how they'd do that, since it's accessed from a right-click menu, but if they could it would be appreciated.

• @morkonan:
    I remember I've once read that they can't make selecting multple morphs at the same time because then the "properties" tab would become confused about what to display.

However it would already help if you could put all obsolete morphs into a new group folder (putting morphs into another group folder is relatively straightforward) and then being able to delete that group folder INCLUDING the morphs therein in one go.

Sure it would need an alert like
    "WARNING! You are about to delete this group AND ALL CONTAINED MORPHS in all body parts! Continue? [YES][NO]"

/irony/
    For Windows, it would need at least two more alerts:
    #1 "Are you really sure? [YES][NO][DUNNO!]"
    #2 "All Figure morphs deleted. This action cannot be undone. [BUGGER...]
    //irony//

Don't bash me, I'm using Windows myself!

Karina :D

• @karina Hi, If I delete a selected group, the group is deleted, buy not the morphs, that go to the root folder.

• @karina said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@morkonan:
    I remember I've once read that they can't make selecting multple morphs at the same time because then the "properties" tab would become confused about what to display.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I remember thinking about that, myself, a long time ago. (Just forgot. :) )

However it would already help if you could put all obsolete morphs into a new group folder (putting morphs into another group folder is relatively straightforward) and then being able to delete that group folder INCLUDING the morphs therein in one go.

/Agreed

There are python scripts, at least old ones, that let you automatically delete any zero-value morphs, but they're fairly indiscriminate, requiring you to then go back and re-inject them, in the case of injections. I'm also not sure what they do with user-created JCMs.

Still, a method to bulk-delete morphs in a figure would be very handy to have, just so long as it gives good feedback, written or visual.

• @ adh3d:
    Yes that's the way it works now, and it's pretty useless.

Look at this:

If you delete a group of parented props, you can delete the "grandparent" :) and you'll have a checkbox in the dialog box "Delete All Children Too?" or some such.
    That's exactly what I want if I delete a group from the parameters list.
    And it doesn't even involve selecting multiple morph channels:
    Just put them all into a group and then delete the group and the channels in that group in one go.
    Problem solved.

@ morkonan:
    Yes there are scripts out there to delete "zero" morphs.
    But what if you don't want to use the big gun to kill all and everything, but just want to take out single and selected channels?
    All scripts I saw hitherto failed at that. They offered "All or nothing".

So the solution would be either:

• one of those infamous huge morphs lists where you'll have to scroll endlessly to pick the morphs to delete

• or (as I advocate) to delete all morphs in a given group in one go, as described above.
      The advantage of this solution would be it's simplicity and ease of use:
      Go through the body parts, add all unneeded morphs to the "Delete" group, check back, and finally delete the group and it's morphs.
      Far more user-friendly IMO than having to handle huge morph lists in a Python script. The chance of accidentally clicking the wrong check box is present too...

Karina

EDIT:
    But then of course my favoured solution would need extra code from the SM side - and SM doesn't really have a reputation of implementing changes to the code, however useful they may be...

• Not sure if I've posted this here before or not but I would like Limits to be on a per object/figure basis, not everything or nothing. If you enable limits, everything has limits, whether you want that or not, and to be honest, that's not what I want. :)
    If it could be a check box on the Properties panel of the figure/prop that would be ace.

• For crying out loud, just remember what you last typed in the Retime dialog! it's just 4 numbers.

I just had to retime 22 objects and props, and retyping the same numbers 88 times was boring!

• @karina

Last night, I banged my head on my desk for awhile...

I have a bunch of characters I've set up with loads of morphs, some canned injections, some I've created from scratch. I used these as sort of base, experimental, figures to muck around with with different morph combos, tuning them as necessary with the Morph Tool or taking the mesh out and tweaking it outside of Poser.

I desperately needed some way to easily delete bajijllions of morphs as well as morphs for specific groups.

BUT, without having to go through the clunky, cumbersome, crappy (C^3) method we currently have in Poser requiring you to delete each one individually and, at times, unlocking them from the master, over and over and over and over...

What if I wanted to remove or just zero a select few morphs in a particular group while I'm constructing a character? Well, then, screw me... I can't easily do that. And, what if it's a hand? What if I decide I'll clean it up myself, but have to back out several morphs from it? I have to go through every darn finger joint group, clicking multiple times for one single morph in that group? JUST because I'm experimenting? What if don't like it or encounter a problem? Start over?

<bang, bang, bang, bang, bang>

Now, there are scripts out there that can at least zero and, at times, remove morphs exactly like I want! (Do Zero, from I can't remember who, then one that's a bit more general from D3D.)

But... they're busted by the new python. No workie. End up with orphaned python operations running in memory, locking up the display, forcing one to halt Poser's process in order to get out of it...

Yeah, sorry for the rant. My forehead still hurts... :) I got really ticked off about that, last night. Such a very simple, highly desirable thing and it's not in Poser. A tool touting "character creation."

I need a drink. Blood pressure starting to peak again, so I better get some coffee or something to calm me down. ;)

• @karina the major problem with trying to script any parameter deletion or creation, is that there is no Python interface to create groups or insert parameters into groups in the Parameter Palette.

• Poser Ambassadors

@morkonan

Might I suggest Poser File Editor, by the brilliant and much admired (and sorely and respectfully missed) Dimension 3D.

Poser File Editor is INDISPENSABLE for hacking CR2 files. Among many brilliant and "don't know whatever you did without it" functions within its repertoire is a Morph Editor, which will allow you to do the types of things you want.

Try it. You'll like it.

Poser File Editor - Dimension 3D

• Poser Ambassadors

Sample screen shot of the PFE morph editor.

Master parms listed on the left pane, group list on the right. The group list can be sorted by the columns at the top.

For example, if you want to delete all morphs in the head, select all the morphs in the Head group, pop open the menu, and "Delete Morph." Boom. They're gone.

0_1509946421237_morph edit.png

You can read more here:

More description of PFE features

• @Deecey Hey Deecey, I know this is completely out of left field, but I think you're in a completely unique position to do this. Back in the 90s, there were several book series called "Bibles" written about some programs or computersystems.
    like MacOSX and Windows. And it was written by several authors, or at least several authors contributed. And since you know so many of these Poser gurus, have you ever considered the idea of putting together the ultimate Poser Bible featuring their favorite hacks, tips and tricks?
    Just thinking out loud.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    Since the advent of the e-book, paper books don't sell anywhere near as well as they did in the 90s ... and I'm assuming you want a book you can hold in your hands. I suspect it will be a lot more difficult nowadays to get a print book deal. I don't think I've seen a Poser-related book since Poser 8.

• The Poser guys came up with a better alternative to book on how to use Poser, reduce the number of Poser users so that the few remaining experts can answer all the questions personally. :-)

Of course, if they just fixed the EASY bugs this could be reversed overnight, but that means you'd have to write a book on how to use the.. oh never mind...

• @Deecey I admit, I'm an older user. On my next birthday, assuming I make it there, I'll turn sixty. So yeah, I'd prefer a paper book, but I'll take an e-book. I can always have a paper book made from it it if I want .

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.