Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

• @ghostship Gonna have to respectfully disagree there Ghost. :) I found Metaform's metaballs were useful for quite a lot of things, not just money shots.

• Global Moderator

@eclark1849 Of course you can! The reason there is a limit is to encourage our users to organize each suggestion that way our team can truly keep track of each suggestion, as well as organize them and get them to the right places.

• Poser Ambassadors

So we just refresh the page? I've sent 3 so far (just for starters, I have a long list), but each time I refresh, the text I put in last time shows back up.

• I've already sent a short version of the Poser 12 wishlist but I think I'll try make a meaningful summary of it this weekend, incl what other people mentioned of course. I can imagine that that thread might have become too long... but still, there's some good stuff there. I really do hope they keep track of it.

• I hope the servers can handle this. I know we all have a lot of requests. They might need to hire a few temps to help sift through them all.

Unless it's something like this.

alt text

Not that I really think it is.

• hehehe, I don't think its our numbers that is a problem, but I think its the sheer bulk of fanaticism some of us possess that might be a bit overwhelming... including that of yours truly.

But hey, it shows that Poser is worth the hassle.

Make Poser Great again!

(*shakes fist)

• @ghostship said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@fbs7 LOL! only thing meta balls good for is j**z shots. useless for anything else.

Nah, I can make clouds and smoke with metaballs; I can make soap, and water splashes and waves; I can make a waterfall, snow and a snowman too; I can make ketchup and a bacteria and also a blob monster; I believe (though I never tried) that with an appropriate texture I can make fire, and for sure can make blood splashes.

Metaballs is one of the most useful things for animation.

• I meant soap bubbles, haha

• PS: Haha, once I had the same discussion here, and then I made and posted an animation of a snowman that morphed into a couch and back, all with only 5 metaballs (or so), easily made in Blender in 15 minutes (and I'm a very, very, very bad Blender user). Wanna see that done with regular meshes.

• @fbs7 I'd prefer making models in a modeler like Blender. I want Poser to excel at Posing and animating the human form.

• @fbs7 Speaking of Blender, I'd rather Poser do smoke and liquid sims rather than metaballs. Or at least do particles.

@fbs7 I'd prefer making models in a modeler like Blender. I want Poser to excel at Posing and animating the human form.

Reminds me of the conversation I have with my local apple fan every time they bring out a new iphone: "Yes but can you also call someone with it?"

• @erogenesis It's funny you bring that up. I just saw an article for the iphone's anniversary, and somebody was saying that pretty soon, the iphone won't actually be a phone anymore.

• @eclark1849 haha that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. What will it then be? The iThing?

@fbs7 I'd prefer making models in a modeler like Blender. I want Poser to excel at Posing and animating the human form.

right, but we already have that in the pipeline; easy to use SketchUp or Blender to model, export mesh, import mesh - voila, prop easily done

also easy to use Marvelous Designer to make your cloth, export, import, fit, change to figure and import morphs - voila, both static and dynamic clothes easily done

so, what's missing? dynamic props and effects; it's very, very, very time consuming to build meshes for morph targets; even more so to build skeletons and many things (like a wave or a cloud) don't really fit either.

once I had hope that soft bodies would cover that gap, but soft body implementation in Poser is, imho, useless.
    Try as I did I could never really do anything useful with it.

if there was a way o make an animated metaball, or fire, or smoke, or cloud, or wave in another software and then import into Poser i'd be all in for that, but as far as I know that's impossible (short of exporting 600 meshes for 600 frames of animation, and then redo everything every time you have a little change... that is, very impractical)

• @fbs7 You can import smoke, fire and liquid into Poser from Blender. The problem is you have to convert it into a mesh to do so, and then the polycount gets a bit unwieldy.

• @eclark1849 I did water sims with Maya's bifrost and you can adjust the polycount quite nicely. I suspect blender could do the same.

• @eclark1849 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@fbs7 You can import smoke, fire and liquid into Poser from Blender. The problem is you have to convert it into a mesh to do so, and then the polycount gets a bit unwieldy.

right, but how do you import a smoke, fire or liquid simulation? can't have a static flame prop over 600 frames, so you need to export 600 meshes, and then import them one by one

as far as I know there's no standard file format to interop simulations of smoke, fire or liquid across different apps

• @fbs7 I think a lot of production companies still use after effects in many of their movies for such things, even if they have smoke sims available purely to save time... although that might have changed now.

• @fbs7 Blender has smoke and fire effects. I would hope that in the future more blender/Cycles features were added to Poser.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.