Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

• I wish I could use a brush that I could change size and use it to change the keyframe of the animation on the graph to smooth or move a set of points evenly that is pen sensitive of a tablet pen
    smoothing stroke and or maybe a erase stroke as well

I hear that this is something that syntheyes has in one of their feature. I just spent much time cleaning up BVH and motion caption file from poser pro, and I think it would be easier if we had a smoothing brush, or Motion baking every 4th frame from Kinect cam motion capture to get a smoother animation . Or a lasso pen to grab a set of keyframe to move it down to where they should be.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Ken1171 I don't know what you mean. Scale zones can be copied without destroying joint zones. You just have to do them individually. A script would copy them all at once, or give you an option to copy the ones you want and leave out the ones you don't. Only problem with that is if you don't get them right on each body part then it can cause problems. But those problems stay with scaling, they don't affect normal joint rotations. At least not until you scaled a body part with bad scaling and then tried to bend it.

• @AmbientShade just as you use a brush to smooth out mesh, have the ability to apply a brush over the set of keyframe to smooth out the line, to get rid of jitters, or a erase pen to zap just the keyframe you want gone, instead of select delete select delete........and select a lasso group of key frame and then move the whole set in adjustment at once, instead of dragging each keyframe to position. Have you seen a typical keyframe of a walk designer in poser, or make a kinect motion capture data? Doing 60,000 frame can be super tedious. Like I said syntheyes have thie feature and much more, but just for that one feature would be highly helpful for animation in poser.

• Poser Ambassadors

@AmbientShade So you are basically confirming what I said - we cannot COPY all the smooth scaling zones - we would have to do each of them manually. Did you see the interface to do that? We can now paint weighs on smooth scaling zones, BUT we still have to deal with the spheres of influence from the legacy rigging, which is cumbersome and it doesn't make sense when we are painting weights manually.

Besides, if "Copy Zones From..." also copies the smooth scaling zones, SMS could be kind enough to also allow us to copy ONLY the smooth scaling zones to just add support for body scaling to older conforming outfits created with previous Poser versions without destroying the rigging.

I have already submitted the request at Mantis. Maybe if more vendors did the same, SMS might consider adding the feature. If it's just me, it will most likely be ignored.

• @ruscular said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

I wish I could use a brush that I could change size and use it to change the keyframe of the animation on the graph to smooth or move a set of points evenly that is pen sensitive of a tablet pen
    smoothing stroke and or maybe a erase stroke as well

I hear that this is something that syntheyes has in one of their feature. I just spent much time cleaning up BVH and motion caption file from poser pro, and I think it would be easier if we had a smoothing brush, or Motion baking every 4th frame from Kinect cam motion capture to get a smoother animation . Or a lasso pen to grab a set of keyframe to move it down to where they should be.

Something that could help too is to have some parametrization in the Recalculate Keyframes/Analyze Curvature function; that is very useful, but because it has no parameters about sensitivity, it's either a hit or miss on it.

So a parameter about the precision of the smoothing done with with Recalculate Keyframes/Analyze Curvature might do something similar about smoothing the curves.

For me, that would do the opposite. It annoys me a lot when that Recalculate Keyframes removes keys that had small changes even if I set the curves to be constants. Sometimes these small changes have big effects, so I'd rather use it to increase the sensitivity of that function, instead of decreasing it.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Ken1171 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

So you are basically confirming what I said - we cannot COPY all the smooth scaling zones - we would have to do each of them manually. Did you see the interface to do that? We can now paint weighs on smooth scaling zones, BUT we still have to deal with the spheres of influence from the legacy rigging, which is cumbersome and it doesn't make sense when we are painting weights manually.

Yes, that's why I said we need a script for it, so that we have the ability to select just scaling or just -whichever maps- needed instead of the all-or-nothing, or doing them one at a time manually, which are the only options we have now. The part of your post I didn't understand was where you said that copying the scale zones destroys the rigging. I don't work with legacy rigging tho, haven't in a long time, so I'm not aware of problems with scale zones in relation to it. I thought that a figure had to be converted to weight maps first before smooth scaling would work anyway.

• Poser Ambassadors

@AmbientShade Smooth Scaling exists in both new and legacy rigging, and both rigging methods use the same weight maps. The only difference is that now we have direct access to the weight maps, so we can paint them. In legacy rigging, we couldn't touch the weight maps directly, but they were still there. So it doesn't matter if you use new or legacy rigging, we are still dealing with weight maps and smooth scaling zones.

As for your question about copying smooth scaling zones will destroy your rigging, just give it a try. The only existing option is "Copy Joint Zones From....", and if your outfit is already rigged, all your work will be lost in the process. It's that simple.

Poser 11 is the only version that will copy the smooth scaling zones from the figure, so if I only want to add that to my older conforming outfits created in previous versions, there is no way to do that without destroying their rigging. That's the point I am trying to bring to the table.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Ken1171 I have tried it numerous times before. I've never had a scale zone affect the rest of the rigging on my figures, even copying scale zones from one figure to an entirely different figure, the joint rotations and their maps remain unaffected. In legacy rigging there is no weight map to copy. It relies on falloff zones. You have to convert the falloff zone to a weight map first before the option to copy or paste appears in the joint editor. You can convert a scale falloff zone to a weight map without converting the joint rotation falloff zones to weight maps. Copying it also works in PP2014 (I just tested it).

I don't know. We approach rigging differently I think. I don't want to argue about it. But yes, the option to choose to copy scaling separately from the rest of the rigging should be there. That's why I brought up writing a script to accomplish it.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Ken1171 ETA: On further thought, it could be done with a script for legacy rigging, but it would need to copy the high and low start and end values. Weight mapped scale zones aren't as dependent on joint centers as the old falloff zones are, so I can see now why you might have problems. A better solution might be to copy the entire rigging first to get the scaling, and then go back and copy the individual joints without the scaling. That's still a lot of extra work tho. I seem to recall scaling being broken or at least highly dysfunctional until it was patched in P9/2012. I don't have any versions older than 2014GD installed now tho so I can't test it.

• Poser Ambassadors

@AmbientShade I guess, at least for me, such a script would have to be for modern rigging because I haven't used legacy rigging in years (since 2012). And I think you are right - body scaling has been dysfunctional in Poser until very recently. That's why I want to add the feature to my older products, because now Poser 11 can handle it. Everything I have rigged in older versions, to include P10/PP2014 doesn't support body scaling - I tried. This is something we get for granted with P11 if we do the rigging there. The idea is to be able to add this to older products without having to rig them again. I have requested this at Mantis in early 2016, but it has been mostly ignored so far. I suppose not many are asking for this.

• Basically, the whole way materials are represented in the API needs a major overhaul and update. The addition of layers, extra root nodes, and compound nodes has already totalled old scripts. SM should get rid of old P4 material methods that don't make sense in a noded , modern rendering world (like "TextureColor()" and "SetNs"). They should add methods and documentation to fully account for layers, multiple root nodes, and compound nodes. And they should, at long last, add methods to let you copy layers and materials in a few lines of code. For instance:

masterMaterial = poser.Scene().CurrentMaterial()
    for zone in destinationActor.MatZones():
    zone.SetMaterial(masterMaterial)

or
    masterLayer = poser.Scene().CurrentMaterial().CurrentLayer()
    for zone in destinationActor.MatZones():
    zone.AddLayer(masterLayer, n)

where n is an optional layer index.

There should definitely be a way to detect selected nodes, and to copy and paste selected branches of the shader tree using Python, the way you can with the interface. Basically, if you can do it in the interface, you should really be able to do it with the API.

• I'd like to see Poser's view port update instantly with Firefly AND Superfly changes. Waiting for renders and even the raytrace previews takes a little while, And I have to keep hitting refresh because i think the Auto refresh isn't working.

0_1513731907315_royal purple.png

• And just for the heck of saying it again, Poser should be able to read and import .blend files, including Cycles material node set ups.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 Oh yes, I am working with another guy who uses Blender, and we CANNOT SHARE the shaders between Cycles and Superfly. How frustrating is that?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 I think it'd be great if Poser could import .blend files and all the cycles shaders were converted to superfly. A go-Z type function between Poser and blender. Down side of that is how often Blender gets updated and some features no longer work the same.

• @eclark1849 I'd really like to be able to go the other way, too. I'd rather use Poser for character building and posing, and Blender's power for everything else. Especially with all the upcoming advances in Cycles and workflows in Blender 2.8.

• Banned

Please add the ability to refresh a single texture node in the material room instead of having to click "reload textures".

Please add a script or feature button that recalculates a figures face normals AND vertex normals (similar to unify normals in 3d studio max). Sometimes when you sculpt a figure too much via GOZ it can mess up the normals where there is a division in the figures geometry, for example in between right collar & right shoulder. So if you sculpt the area inbetween the right thigh and right shin, right where the break happens between the two mesh pieces, the vertex normals can get messed up and will need to be unified. The only way to fix this problem with the normals is to go figure ---> skinning methods --> poser unimesh, that forces the vertex normals to be fixed.

Please add a vagina and anus to all your future models and stop making them so ugly in the face.

Please add an easy to way to add breast & butt physics to animations. The bullet physics is too much of a pain and painting the weights with that tool is a nightmare.

• @trepleen If you mean using the latest saved version of textures, you don't really need to "reload" textures in my experience. I've done renders within seconds of each other and they always showed the latest textures.

Sounds like you're working with the wrong mesh for sculpting. You should always work from the mesh in the Geometries folder, not one exported. The mesh you sculpt should never have breaks in it. Would you still need a normals tool if you didn't have that problem? Is using GoZ necessary for your workflow? Personally, I think it would be best if using GoZ didn't have the breaks at all, if it has to. I'm not against editing normals in Poser, but that seems like a band-aid on the larger problem of Poser adding breaks to the mesh.

• @trepleen I use Lightwave3d to import the model by way of Poser fusion and then paint weight maps to the breast and Butt and use Lightwave bullet calculation. I Too find that weight painting in poser is not responsive enough to get accurate result, and so is morph painting. Also the simulation calculation takes much time to seek the accurate adjustment. Could take all nite compare to Lightwave3d which takes about no more than 15 minute to get the right result. Painting 2 area often result in crashing.

Have you tried poser fusion to 3DStudioMax, and then use their method of soft body dynamics?

• Someone please make the nodes at Animation Palette easier to get! They are so tiny, like 1/4th of a pixel, it's always a problem to click them right at high resolutions!

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.