Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

• @Ken1171 No Ken, not just to you, and I always thought that was because the manipulators are located at the origin point, so for a character that could be at 0/0/0, or at CenterMass, if that's where it was placed.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Miss-B I am relieved to know it's not just me, because it drives me crazy that I can't use the direct manipulation gizmo unless the camera is so far away from the action that can't even see what I am doing anymore. How come nobody talks about this? Nobody uses the transform gizmo?

• @eclark1849 Duffer: a person inexperienced at something,

• Poser Ambassadors

On another subject, I have been rigging a dress for PE, and after adjusting half a dozen JCMs on the left side, I sadly remembered that Poser doesn't do JCM symmetry. This will take forever....

• @Ken1171 sounds like a job for a python script if you can define a naming convention which reliably distinguishes chiral (handed) JCMs.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Ken1171 I don't run into many problems with JCM symmetry as long as you go from left to right. Right to left is the direction that seems broken. Could also create the jcm for both sides as one morph and then split it to L and R once loaded in Poser.

• Poser Ambassadors

Improving the DOF.

• Poser Ambassadors

@anomalaus The common naming convention is the JCM prefix followed by either "l" or "r" when it's a side split morph, or just the morph name if it's on the torso, neck or head. That shares a lot with regular Poser morph naming convention, but they always start with "JCM".

• Poser Ambassadors

@AmbientShade said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@Ken1171 I don't run into many problems with JCM symmetry as long as you go from left to right. Right to left is the direction that seems broken. Could also create the jcm for both sides as one morph and then split it to L and R once loaded in Poser.

I also have no issues making one side of JCM morphs. The problem is symmetry with the other side, and I am talking about arms and legs, where the morph has to exist independently on each side as its own morph. I make my morphs with the Morphing Tool in Poser, and it doesn't support symmetry. It does for weight maps, but not for morphs.

There is a workaround, which is to use "Copy Morph As..." to create the right side, then mirror it, and then delete the left side. This only works if you are using Poser at least SR-5 or 6. Before that, and in all previous Poser versions, deleting a morph (no matter what you select) might delete a LOT more than you expect. This was finally fixed recently in P11. If you use P9 or P10, you are out of luck.

• @raven said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@ghostship Gonna have to respectfully disagree there Ghost. :) I found Metaform's metaballs were useful for quite a lot of things, not just money shots.

They were a LOT of fun. And absolutely not just for j*zz

• Polygon Reduction - could we get a % ability? I'd really like to not have to fire up a calculator every time I use this feature.

• I really would like a library like semidieu's advanced library manager with the ability (amongst other things) to:-
    search the name of the external runtime really fast
    open several UI library windows simultaneously
    Combine a group of runtimes into a single virtual runtime
    apply partial poses eg lower limbs only, or upper limbs but no hands or upper limbs with hands or hand only etc
    apply material as smart material so even if the correct clothing isn't selected the mat pose finds the right one and loads anyway

Semidieu has lost interest in poser and i am sure he wouldn't mind if poser made a similar library manager.

• Here is another suggestion....

Have preferences stay locked when the end user moves from room to room.

Example:

My setup is dual monitor. I have the Poser room set up on screen one and all of my panels locked down on screen two (Libraries, camera controls, parameter dials etc.)

I go into the material room to change the color of something. All of my panels on screen two are now locked down on screen one - I get to spend 5 minutes putting everything back. I change the color and then move back to the pose room.

All of my panels that were on screen two are now scattered all over screen one.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

Why, in 2018, can I not simply set my preferred state for each room AND HAVE IT STAY THAT WAY? Is this really that hard?

• @ssgbryan this is my experience as well. Dual monitor setup on macOS with secondary monitor to the left (so it's X-coords are effectively negative). Every time I return from the materials room, most panels end up on the primary monitor, especially the raytrace preview, and I also get spurious, docked panels from the Face room, which I never use!

The only workaround to having to manually reset the UI is to use the UI dots in every room. Even then, the first use of the preferred layout dot won't directly place panels on the secondary monitor, until I hit the same dot a second time.

SMS, this has been broken for too long! Get yourselves some additional monitors and test this!

• This post is deleted!

• Alright, here is my ground breaking request: Enable Poser to optionally resume the previous session upon relaunch, without having to manually set the current scene as the preferred state and choose the launch to preferred state preference.

I.e. add a third launch preference - Launch to previous scene, launch to preferred scene and launch to factory scene.

In this way, external factors which require a complete restart of the system, such as automatic OS updates, don't require a panicked save of a scene one may have been working on all day (or longer (hint: turn on Auto-save and have many GB of free disk space available for big scenes)), and then a struggle to remember exactly what one was last doing in the scene when the restart/update has completed and Poser gets automatically relaunched with a completely different scene to the one previously being worked on.

• @anomalaus

While not what you're wanting, if you have trouble remembering what you last worked on and saved, there is the "Recent Files" list right below "Open" in the File menu. It lists some of the last projects you worked on.

• @rlowens68 thanks, I use it frequently, but I get used to so many other applications which are perfectly happy to launch to their previous state, like Firefox, or my preferred text editor BBEdit, which can both re-open dozens of tabs or files and allow direct continuation of work context following an interruption.

Poser knows exactly which document you were last working on, why assume that every time you launch Poser you are either going to the factory default, or a single, user-selected scene. Perhaps a launch option with an Option/Alt key-press could offer the choice to override opening the previous scene file, in case it has become corrupted, or you genuinely want to start a new scene.

I just want to escape the scenario where manually saving a scene with a new name implies that I have finished working on that scene, since a shutdown and restart of Poser will then not open the scene I have just saved, without me having to re-specify my preferred scene, which may not be desirable if my preferred scene is just my alternative starting point to the factory scene, to be loaded when I select New from the File menu.

• I'd like to see Poser make Bullet Physics easier to use. I've watched several videos and read about it in the manual, but I'm still wary of it.

• I'm gonna keep making this suggestion until something happens:

Bring back the scaling feature in the Direct Manipulation tool. :(

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.