Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

• Poser Ambassadors

To all:
    This video that I made on aug 2016 explains and shows the issue with "unwelded Poser saved obj files.".

Remember, this video was made in 2016, and a lot more info about the issue is available now.

• @vilters Nice vid on how to fix the issue after the fact. which brings me to my next questions
    @Ken1171 so what your saying is you create your groups in Modo instead of Max on your never before touched by Poser Obj and as long as you dont use that OBJ this wont happen (the way Poser splits it) Im not talking about fixing the issue,I want to know how to prevent the issue in the first place..because thats what made me one day stop using Poser for until maybe a couple of months back.but been using it a lot lately but can not have it randomly screw up weeks of work suddenly out of no where..because I thought it was random had it happen to me while rigging. (random point just frozen in place)

• @chk2033 by use that OBJ I mean to rig then weigthmap and only use it as the reference obj sort of like what vilters did. or are you using that modo grouped obj thru out the whole process without any splitting issues at all?

• Poser Ambassadors

@chk2033 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@chk2033 by use that OBJ I mean to rig then weigthmap and only use it as the reference obj sort of like what vilters did. or are you using that modo grouped obj thru out the whole process without any splitting issues at all?

It's like this - you model your object in 1 piece in MAX, create the MAT zones, and UV map it as usual. When it's time to group it, if you do it in MAX (or Poser), it will split your geometry, which is something we don't want, so I export to regular OBJ with UVs, and group in Modo (or Blender).

Once this is done, you can import it into Poser for rigging. And here is the important part. If you use the Fitting Room, DISABLE AUTO-GROUP!!! Once the rigging is done, you save it to CR2, and Poser will automatically create a new OBJ with all the groups split into separate geometries. DELETE THIS OBJ IMMEDIATELY, and replace it with the one you have grouped elsewhere (in my case, Modo).

We can safely delete the Poser OBJ because all the rigging information is contained in the CR2, not the OBJ - unless you have allowed Poser to auto-group it, which you should NOT ALLOW because it will UNDO the grouping you did elsewhere.

That's it in a nutshell. If SMS makes Poser work with unimesh internally, Auto-Group will no longer destroy your geometry, but until then, we have to group it elsewhere.

• @Ken1171
    Nice thanks for the info. So as long as the customer doesn't re-save the figure it should be good then.(as in trying to re-save their own version that is)

• @chk2033 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@Ken1171
    Nice thanks for the info. So as long as the customer doesn't re-save the figure it should be good then.(as in trying to re-save their own version that is)

I'm nnot sure what you mean here? I resave figures all the time in Poser. No problems there. Regardless of where and how they're made (I haven't the foggiest idea of that and I've never thought about it either)

Or am I (again ... ) missing the point completely?

• @trekkiegrrrl re save a modified version which somehow involved modifying the actual OBJ ,but I see the answer to that question was in the post Ken1171 posted. so nevermind.

• Poser Ambassadors

@chk2033 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@trekkiegrrrl re save a modified version which somehow involved modifying the actual OBJ ,but I see the answer to that question was in the post Ken1171 posted. so nevermind.

Poser ONLY creates a new OBJ if we modify the geometry or the MAT Zones. That is, we edit the model to alter its number of vertexes, or redefine where the MAT zones are. Just creating a character with morphs and textures will NOT create a new OBJ. It will just create a CR2 that points to your existing OBJ.

Hope this helps clearing out the question.

• In case Smith Micro is actually reading this for suggestions:

I would love a main camera that has the current controls and the controls for a dolly camera. Or the ability to switch between camera types without losing the current camera angle.

• @willshetterly I have some Python scripts which add parameters to a Dolly camera which give it limited (due to hard encoding 720 degrees of sine and cosine every 10 degrees) ability to orbit. The DollyXYZ parameters set the centre of the orbit, and the focusDistance parameter sets the radius. Any Dolly camera can have the script run, including user created ones, and zeroing the OrbitMode parameter returns the camera to normal Dolly mode.

It's crude, but effective (given it doesn't require any Python Callbacks), and the camera can be saved with scenes and works as expected on reload.

Let me know if that would interest you, and I'll see whether the script needs any tidying up.

• @Ladonna said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@Glitterati3D Stacey, i would prefer her different. Load blanc , with no morphs, after people can inject the morphs which they like to use . Like V4.
    She load already with full morphs, which is way to much, because she has a lot.
    Otherwise, I really like her. But yes, she is impressive when you load her the first time. :)

Oh please for the love of G*d .. NOOOO INJECTIONS!

I hate characters that load blank. I never know in advance which morphs I need, so I have to inject the whole load anyway (I have, of course, a saved version with all the morphs already loaded)

With external PMD morphs, It doesn't FEEL like it's slowing Poser down. I may well be wrong, but I have no problem loading several fully loaded figures into a scene, even on my old computer.

Also .. she's not ALL that different to the end user. As an end user, you won't have to think about JCMs or weightmaps. Just pose her and enjoy the experience of a figure that bends properly.

Yes, she has a lot of workings under the hood, but to say that end users will feel her cumbersome .. I don't believe that. They likely won't even notice that they're there. I know I don't.

TBH I find Sasha more confusing. Those eye beams .. I have yet to figure out how to control them ...

• Poser Ambassadors

@anomalaus said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

It's crude, but effective (given it doesn't require any Python Callbacks), and the camera can be saved with scenes and works as expected on reload.

And talking about Poser Python callbacks, I have been creating my own morphs manager, and noticed the callbacks seem unreliable. Sometimes I can keep the morph manager in-sync with Poser, and sometimes it seems to completely miss callback notifications. I have revised the code, and I can't find a reason why this happens. My only conclusion was that this system is unreliable. Does this happen just me to?

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl V4 is different. But look at PE as example. For cloth maker a hell when she load with all the morphs and JCM's.
    The little pudgy elf, you have to make for her separate outfit. No matter how well you model, this morph just don't fit the outfit modeled for PE Asia or what ever.
    User, you get very easy confused by this zillion of morphs, Jcm's when you want to dial something by your own or whatever.

• @anomalaus That sounds like an interesting thing to try, so yes, please!

• @willshetterly just struggling with ShareCG rejecting my first posted script (fortunately not till after the intended recipient had downloaded it), so I'll probably fall back to a mega.nz link. ... And the latest Firefox browser is crashing (or consuming all available memory so I have to kill it) so frequently, I've returned to Safari (which persists in trying to autocorrect tech terms not in its dictionary, GRRR)

• @anomalaus Sorry to hear about shareCG being tricky. It's often a great resource. As is Renderosity's free section. I look forward to whatever solution works.

• @willshetterly it's all sorted, they responded quickly to my observation that many other python script postings had no associated image, other than the default "No image available"0_1531453844027_Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.59.20 am.png and saying that they were rejecting all uploads with no image but weren't policing the site and asking if I wanted to report the image free uploads so they could reject them, which completely justified my decision to crop the attribution off the bottom of the screenshot above which I sent to them. I have declined to perform as their attack dog, explaining that many python scripts are so esoteric as to defy pictorial representation ;-)

Anyway, hopefully they won't reject this upload: DollyCameraOrbit.
    0_1531454603396_Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 2.00.34 pm.png
    It was just as well I didn't simply upload it last time. The script was written in 2014-15 and has remained unmodified since, though it deserves a major rewrite, since my scripting skills have matured somewhat since then and it relies on adjunct pose files to operate (creating parameter groups and assigning parameters to them, etc.). It's currently limited to application on the default Dolly camera and the first two user-created dolly cameras due to a dependence on the actors' internal names. If I revise it, I will create all necessary adjuncts dynamically or add their effects directly via the script, but Poser has improved it's features since the script was written, so things that could only be done that way previously may now be possible directly from python.

• Well, since the other thread that prompted my previous response has been locked, I'll post this here.

Here's a list of items that have been fixed or added to the latest version of Blender that Poser may or may not add to Superfly.
    Blender 2.79b features a new Denoiser, PBR Shader, Shadow Catcher, Filmic Color Management, AMD OpenCL improvements

• @eclark1849 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

Well, since the other thread that prompted my previous response has been locked, I'll post this here.

Here's a list of items that have been fixed or added to the latest version of Blender that Poser may or may not add to Superfly.
    Blender 2.79b features a new Denoiser, PBR Shader, Shadow Catcher, Filmic Color Management, AMD OpenCL improvements

I thought Poser had PBR abilities? Or am I misunderstanding what PBR means? :)

• @trekkiegrrrl at some point Blender added a shader that combined a bunch of their other shaders and made it act correctly for PBR. My shader does much of this already.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.