Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

• @ladonna said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@tastiger Yey and the possibility to scroll your render during rendering for a better control.
    Pretty annoying to trash a hours of render time image because you oversee at the beginning something and after no way anymore to check back.

I open the currently rendering exr image in Blender, that way I can zoom and pan to see what's happening to the full image. Then keep reloading until I'm happy the noise is gone from all over and cancel the render. One great thing about this is that I can save the image through Blender as well, so I can even cancel a queue render, providing I've done the save from Blender before the cancel

• Poser Ambassadors

@amethystpendant Nice workaround but this should be not a solution. Not user has to fix this issue, SMS has to do this.
    As long we keep fixing annoying issues which are implemented since ages in other apps, nothing will change.

• @ladonna Totally agree, but the fact that I can't do network queue renders with the latest SR and SM have been aware of this since the SR was released and have done nothing to fix it doesn't fill me with confidence that any of these things will ever be fixed, so workarounds are all we have :o(

• Poser Ambassadors

@amethystpendant I know, I don't blame you here and thanks for the tip ;)

• @amethystpendant I'm not able to open Poser Pro 11 generated .exr files from the render cache in Blender 2.79b 2018-03-22 on macOS 10.12.6. I get the error message "File format is not supported in ...". This applies whether the render is in progress or a previously completed Poser render.

• @anomalaus said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@amethystpendant I'm not able to open Poser Pro 11 generated .exr files from the render cache in Blender 2.79b 2018-03-22 on macOS 10.12.6. I get the error message "File format is not supported in ...". This applies whether the render is in progress or a previously completed Poser render.

I know this is probably a silly question, but are you doing it in a UV/Image window and choosing load image, which works in windows?

• You can open .exr files with IrfanView
    https://www.irfanview.com/

There are versions for Windows, MAC and Linux, all 32/64 bit.
    K

• Sorry, I meant XnView:
    https://www.xnview.com/en/
    "IrfanView" is Windows only.
    K

• @amethystpendant not a silly question at all, and no, not until just now. It's taken me this long to work out that I have to use the tool chooser at the BOTTOM left of the window to select UV/Image Editor, not the one at the top!?, after I'd found a U-Noob clip that had the instructor waffling around trying to decide which image he was going to edit, after deleting the cube and camera (again with cryptic keystrokes [A for Add selection? and Shift A for Add primitive?] adding a plane to the scene to project the image on and dragging open and closed new tool windows without adequate explanation.

Ironically, the first words spoken were "Does your image editor suck?" My answer now is, no, not really (I use PhotoShop and GraphicConverter, but they both refused at the first hurdle of OpenEXR - well, I hadn't got around to trying PhotoShop yet, so...), and certainly not as Galaxy Swallowingly as Blender's UI does!

Of course, by the time I'd worked out how to open the render from the cache, it had finished, so I couldn't observe it's utility in that regard.

Anyway, TL;DR loose nut on the steering wheel now torqued-up sufficiently for me to salute, and express my admiration for the necessary sacrifice of their (or their designated substitutes') humanity/sanity, all who have mastered Blender! ;-)

• @amethystpendant Oh, I should mention that I found some interesting particulars about OpenEXR files. Poser apparently writes unlabelled layers to it's renders, which is supported by the macOS preview engine. Blender, I read, only writes labelled layers to it's multi-layer OpenEXR files, which are ignored or not supported by the preview tool (they appear completely black). Fortunately, I have yet to come across this problem, but the macOS preview certainly cannot display an incomplete render.

• @amethystpendant said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

I open the currently rendering exr image in Blender, that way I can zoom and pan to see what's happening to the full image. Then keep reloading until I'm happy the noise is gone from all over and cancel the render. One great thing about this is that I can save the image through Blender as well, so I can even cancel a queue render, providing I've done the save from Blender before the cancel

Interesting. Very interesting indeed. I never would've thought you could open .exr images in Blender. Hmmmmm . . . Now I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for the tip.

• I haven't mtried it, but apparently Photoshop can open .exr files as well.

I'll try next time I have a render cooking :)

BTW, using Progressive rendering is a great way to see what's happening. Say there's a wrong shadow or something, you can kill the render at an early stage, because you can see what's happening.

I often do a fast render before the final one as well, just to check that things look approximately as I want them to :)

• @trekkiegrrrl said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

I haven't mtried it, but apparently Photoshop can open .exr files as well.

I'll try next time I have a render cooking :)

BTW, using Progressive rendering is a great way to see what's happening. Say there's a wrong shadow or something, you can kill the render at an early stage, because you can see what's happening.

I often do a fast render before the final one as well, just to check that things look approximately as I want them to :)

Ah, yes, I always use progressive even on a queued render, obviously there would be no advantage to seeing the render in transit if it was completing a block before moving on.

• @trekkiegrrrl I'm having no success viewing an in-progress progressive render in PhotoShop CS5.1 from Poser's Render Cache on macOS. Poser seems to have create the render file, but it's only 4k, the minimum allocation block, so PS can't do anything with it, though it can happily show me completed renders. This may be related to Poser caching the render in it's display buffer. I'll test with a non-progressive render when this one gets through, to see if that works differently.

• @anomalaus Well it works in my Photoshop (CC 2018, on Windows) so yay :D

Never thought of looking there while it was rendering, but now I can, even on rendeers where stuff like the feet are otherwise hidden.

Some parts are semi-transparent until the render is done, but that's no biggie. They're there :D

• @karina sorry to say XnView hangs on my system as soon as it tries to open a folder.

• @karina Sorry, I spoke too soon. The hang was due to my backup disc having hung and all file browsers were spinning their wheels until I power cycled it.

XnView then let me browse to my RenderCache folder, but proceeded to run Preview to open the .exr file! What? Why would I want an image viewing program to open another application to view files? That's it's job. I then found a way to make it open itself, but it failed to do so. App Trashed. Heh, it also looks like Windows. X-P ;-)

• Please add an option to enable MIS for light emitters. Implementation is a easy as adding a MIS check box to the Emission Node and passing the information to the Cycles render engine.
    This is a most important feature of the Cycles render engine and not having it in Poser is in fact an epic fail !!

• @nagra_00_ can you explain what MIS is?

• @ghostship said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@nagra_00_ can you explain what MIS is?

Multiple importance sample (MIS) basically helps guide rays towards ... to less noise overall to disable direct light sampling for some materials.