Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

• @ghostship From BlenderGuru:
    Multiple Importance Sampling tells Cycles to treat the HDR like a lamp, and to assigns more samples to the brighter areas of the image.

• @ghostship said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@nagra_00_ can you explain what MIS is?

MIS stands for Multiple Importance Sample. Technical it works like this: when a ray hits a surface Cycles sends a ShadowRay directly to a light source that has MIS enabled. This is very important for small lights as the usual random Rays have a hard time to hit such a small light by accident.
    The regular lights like point lights do have MIS enabled and thats why they render fast even their size is small. You can see the difference by creating a test scene lit by a point light. Now replace the point light by a ball object of about the same size and make it an light emitter and watch the difference. For me MIS is one of the most important features of Cycles.

• Do you want the check box so you can turn it off?

If memory serves me right, it is on by default in Superfly

• @shvrdavid said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

Do you want the check box so you can turn it off?

If memory serves me right, it is on by default in Superfly

A check box would give you the possibility to have a case by case choice.

I don’t think IMS is on in general by default for emissive materials. I made some tests with a shader that checks the ShadowRay information and got inconsistent results. In most cases the emissive materials did not have any ShadowRay information and that means IMS off.

• @nagra_00_ According to Vilters, adding a check box is not a high priority. Check back in six years. :)

• I'm fairly sure it is on, I remember someone asking about that when it was in beta.

Keep in mind that Superfly is not the newest version of cycles.

• I'd just like a check box to turn off crashes from trying to free unallocated memory 8-/
    There's a method in Poser Python to deliberately leak memory. Of course symmetry dictates that there should have also been one that UNleaks memory, but no such luck. X-(

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@nagra_00_ According to Vilters, adding a check box is not a high priority. Check back in six years. :)

Vilters said nothing alike.
    Vilters says; Want something enhanced?

File through the proper channels.
    https://support.smithmicro.com/

• @vilters You said, Poser has priorities. Apparently, somethings have a higher priority than others.

• @nagra_00_ said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

Please add an option to enable MIS for light emitters.

It is always on.

Its effect however is ruined when certain figures come into the scene with default materials where Ambient (=Emission) is non-zero but very dark. Then many of the rays dedicated to emission sampling are wasted on those objects instead of the important emitters.

• @stefan that sounds like it would be amenable to a Python script scanning a scene for dark emitters, and either warning the user, listing said dark emitters and fixing them with user confirmation.

• @anomalaus Scene Fixer has a feature that will turn off ambient on a selected item.

• @stefan said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@nagra_00_ said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

Please add an option to enable MIS for light emitters.

It is always on.

Its effect however is ruined when certain figures come into the scene with default materials where Ambient (=Emission) is non-zero but very dark. Then many of the rays dedicated to emission sampling are wasted on those objects instead of the important emitters.

See, thats why i asked for a check box to switch it on/off. Its not a good idea to have it on for all emitters. You gave one example another one is a sky dome. MIS on a sky dome what is that good for other than ruining the effect for other small light emitters in the scene?
    And why don’t do all light emitters have ShadowRay information? With MIS on there should always be such information.

• @ghostship that's cool. I don't want to tread on any toes by making such a suggestion, but a single purpose script to report on the ambient emission status of all scene objects might be a more targeted approach than the user having to ask specific questions regarding individual potential "dark emitters".

I have enough frustrations at the moment with a scene which won't load identically to the state it was in when saved, requiring me to tediously re-order the evaluation order of a dozen conformed figures to match the deformer evaluation order of the parent figure. It works perfectly if I load the figures in a blank scene and then apply their poses, but some part of the process of saving and reloading the scene file, groups all the deformer channels together and breaks the evaluation order which keeps the conformer shapes synchronised with the base figure.

So when Poser inevitably and (un)predictably crashes, it takes me 10-15 tedious minutes to re-order the parameters, before I can start posing again. If I deliberately don't, or forget to do this, at some point I will end up creating fitting poses for the conformers which unnecessarily incorporate compensation for the evaluation order issue, so they don't fit when subsequently applied in a new scene with synchronised deformers.

Anyway, TL;DR, I'm looking for script ideas to distract me from tearing out my hair. ;-)

• @nagra_00_ So would this be the difference between MIS on and MIS off?
    0_1537543806577_MIS test 1.jpg

• @ghostship said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@nagra_00_ So would this be the difference between MIS on and MIS off?

From the pics i would say yes but AFAIK MIS and BPT are two completely different things. For playing with MIS you have to use Blender ;)
    BTW i don’t use BPT any more. It seems that i can put any number i like into the Emitter samples input field it makes no difference, convergence of light emitter is always very poor (could be specific to the Mac version).

• @nagra_00_ said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

MIS on a sky dome what is that good for other than ruining the effect for other small light emitters in the scene?

Don't use sky dome props. Use the background shader.

And why don’t do all light emitters have ShadowRay information?

I can't say. Haven't touched the Poser code base in almost two years.

• @stefan said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

Don't use sky dome props. Use the background shader.

Thank you for this information! Handling of pics for background shader is somewhat different but at least it gives me an option that works :)
    Hopefully the next Poser version will give us Portals and other neat Cycle features.

• 1 - The hierarchy window to open with all content minimized, a check box to undo this option if required.

2 - The Morph tool to be able to add polygons or remove them like in ZBrush

3 - older versions of python scripts to work, so annoying having to not be able to use such helpful scripts from poser 7 - 10

4 - More a wish than anything, for Poser to load items and figures created in Daz3d, with an option to load only clothing and morphs dialed up in Daz then to be loaded into Poser without the superfluous memory eating morphs they contain - A redo of DSON or similar to be precise.

• Poser Ambassadors

@razor18
    Hi razor18, many thanks for the propositions and hereby my personal technical remarks.

1. Has already been asked for but it is one of the minor hierarchy issues.
    2. The technical impact of changing a mesh "on the fly" is very large.
      Adding or removing polygons "on the fly with a morph brush" has a HUGE impact deeper in the app. With every mesh change you also automatically have to adapt the weightmap and the inner and outer bulge maps and then probably mirror all changes over X to the other side too. Plus; There might be JCM's, other morphs, dependencies involved in that particular area. What when your morph brush stroke covers multiple vertex groups/bones? What if dynamic hair, or animations are involved?
      See? Altering a mesh "on the fly" has an HUGE impact internally, and possibly a serious impact on file size.
    3. Here I agree but keep in mind that it happens. Sometimes people move on, and older scripts are no longer updated to newer applications any more.
    4. Simple answer here : DSON and the DS technology is DAZ property.
      If they want to "ease" the use of DAZ assets in Poser, they will certainly do so.

best regards, Tony