Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

• Poser Ambassadors

Look folks, everyone's opinions are valid, leave it at that.

• Poser Ambassadors

I would like to have the ZBrush Fibers recognized fully in poser as Poser Hair Splines. As it is now Poser see it as dynamic hairs but that's just about it. Or have it like other programs that you can import the ZBrush Splines.

• I want a separate (ideally, free) Shader Builder (a real time option would be nice, but okay), where I can load a model, load a fake environment with a few fake light rigs and be able to interactively build shaders for SuperFly. Make it relatively clutter free and fast, so we can rapidly prototype shaders.

Also, a manageable shader converter would be nice. Build it in a way that allows third parties to add their own converters, like SuperFly -> Unity.

• @meshbox not really sure what you are asking for here. I know my way around the material room a little (I'm ignorant about math nodes) so building a shader isn't too big a deal. If I'm understanding you, you want to ask Poser to make you a cheese sandwich and, "poof," there is a cheese sandwich shader in the materials room?

• @ghostship ROFL!

• @shvrdavid said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

Look folks, everyone's opinions are valid, leave it at that.

Doesn't mean they're correct, though.

• Speaking of crappy figures, if anyone on the poser team could cast their eyes on this post (about scaling) that would be cool. Poser scaling needs addressing / fixing / a makeover / a serious tutorial / etc... like a.s.a.p.

• @ghostship do be careful of the wording of your wishes! "Poof", "you are now a cheese sandwich!" ;-)

• @erogenesis Indeed! Scaling propagation is out of control. The Poser file syntax defines parameters which can be either scale[XYZ] or propagatingScale[XYZ], yet these are not exposed to Python to allow a script to determine whether scaling of a child actor is being inherited or not from a parent. As other, related threads mention, constraint target scaling messes with any object constrained to it.

• @anniespewak My suggestion is to be more honest. Turns out by submitting suggestions via this form you are also automatically signed up to the Smith Micro mailing list.

• Poser Ambassadors

Almost forgot about this one - PLEASE make it easier to create high heel shoes for Poser.

• @ghostship said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@meshbox not really sure what you are asking for here.

You aren't understanding ;-)

I want (preferably) a separate, lighter weight application designed for creating, testing and possibly exporting / converting shaders and materials. It doesn't have to carry the burden of everything else that makes Poser what it is. What it does need though are all the elements for the purpose, nodes, etc.

Poser has the 'room' metaphor it brought with it from the Macromedia days. That is not a bad thing for a total 'assembly' environment, which Poser has always been.

However Id like to make the absolute most of my screen real estate and graphics hardware specially for this task, and a minimal amount of application overhead. Certainly, it would be nice to have other UI elements for drilling down, working with layers, etc. But the focus would be very narrow. Real time feedback would also be nice.

Sure, you can make a shader easily enough as it is. I want to be able to make complex shaders, and focus on that task.

SM has put more emphasis on Poser as an end of workflow solution now with the inclusion of Superfly. I want a Shader tool that lets me experiment with shaders and be as outrageously complex as I want.

• How about adding a public gallery to the forum where Poser users can post their art creations?

• Poser Ambassadors

@meshbox said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

I want a Shader tool that lets me experiment with shaders and be as outrageously complex as I want.

Isn't that what the Materials Room is dedicated to? Switch to the "advanced" tab, and you have a powerful node-based shader creator that rivals those of professional-grade 3D applications.

@eclark1849 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

How about adding a public gallery to the forum where Poser users can post their art creations?

Sounds like a great idea! ^___^

• @meshbox said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

However Id like to make the absolute most of my screen real estate and graphics hardware specially for this task, and a minimal amount of application overhead. Certainly, it would be nice to have other UI elements for drilling down, working with layers, etc. But the focus would be very narrow. Real time feedback would also be nice.

I can see approximation like this:
    Raytrace prewiew working with GPU, updating on shader change but without geometry reload + ability to minimize preview window in the floating mode. With this you can have clutter-free layout of the material room.

• @Cobra

Hi there,

Our intention was not to automatically have people sign up for the mailing list; it was solely to create a way to submit suggestions directly to our team. Really, it was to create more open conversation.

You are able to opt out of emails at any time.

• @Ken1171 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@meshbox said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

I want a Shader tool that lets me experiment with shaders and be as outrageously complex as I want.

Isn't that what the Materials Room is dedicated to? Switch to the "advanced" tab, and you have a powerful node-based shader creator that rivals those of professional-grade 3D applications.

Nope. I think all the advances in the advanced tab are wonderfully appropriate for the pro focused application I am suggesting.

The Poser / Poser Pro dichotomy has a bit of an identity problem. On one hand, I see Poser Pro as a product for integrating with a workflow with other applications. That makes a lot of sense.

But also, with the addition of Superfly, we have a renderer that's quite worthy, so I see Superfly as a reason not to 'workflow' out for final rendering like I have done in the past. But I also think Pro content creators could use tools that don't have to live within the Poser Pro application itself, and possibly, these tools could become separate products in themselves. A Shader Lab for example, that could generate shaders for SuperFly and Cycles, for example, could eventually become its own product, and also relevant outside of our community.

I would totally support an improved "Shader Mode" within Poser Pro. But I think SM should take the opportunity to expand the Poser universe if they can so they can sell more stuff to new customers, too.

• I would really like to see 2 things:

1. An explanation in the documentation for how to set up scene (non-glamor) lighting for someone that ISN'T a photographer.

How to set up interior lighting would be a good start. (I paid way too much money for a tutorial that showed me how to set up interior lighting in a house with floor to ceiling windows. I might as well have put that money in a pile and burned it - I would have at least gotten some heat out of it.)

1. A responsive UI when doing a crowd scene. Once I load 6 fully clothed characters, the UI becomes quite balky. I have a 4,1 8-core Mac Pro with 48Gb of ram - I shouldn't be able to get a cup of coffee every time I move something in a crowd scene.

• @ssgbryan I'll say. My Mac'sold and not nearly as beefed up as yours, but I have a scene I usually show that has at least 8-10 figures in it, fully clothed and my lag time was neglible.
    0_1502143926446_Page_7.jpg

• @eclark1849

My scenes can easily get up to 6 or 7 Gb. It doesn't help that garbage collection in OSX isn't what it could be. I have to constantly keep a window open to purge the memory.