Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

• @ssgbryan said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

1. A responsive UI when doing a crowd scene. Once I load 6 fully clothed characters, the UI becomes quite balky. I have a 4,1 8-core Mac Pro with 48Gb of ram - I shouldn't be able to get a cup of coffee every time I move something in a crowd scene.

Make sure you use the OpenGL renderer, with everything removed. Antialias, mipmaps, shadows, etc...

alt text
    alt text

This comic had me suffer scenes in excess of 100 figures in a scene, but the preview was ok. Its one of Poser's most powerful features. Not sure about Mac though.

Scenes were clocking in a 20 Gb RAM easy.

Windows 7, Intel i7 3.8GHz Quad, 2Gb 760GTX

• @erogenesis

Hey! I have that comic!

Rendering isn't the problem. I haven't hit 20Gb, (but it is why I keep adding memory) - it's the pose room itself.

• @ssgbryan said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@erogenesis

Hey! I have that comic!

hehehe I need to hurry and finish the other parts huh?

@ssgbryan said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

Rendering isn't the problem. I haven't hit 20Gb, (but it is why I keep adding memory) - it's the pose room itself.

you're talking about the preview right? That's what I meant. Posing is slow as hell (faster in p11 now), but moving the camera around isn't so bad.

• @erogenesis said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@ssgbryan said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@erogenesis

Hey! I have that comic!

you're talking about the preview right? That's what I meant. Posing is slow as hell (faster in p11 now), but moving the camera around isn't so bad.

Everything is slow - I don't know how much is OSX (historically, it has been behind, feature-wise until Poser 9), and how much is my set up.

Of course, it doesn't help when every bridge position (13) has an eazy-pose (Pilot) viewer attached to it. Each one has 40 bones, and turning off the shadows for each piece is a nightmare.

• @ssgbryan not sure how this works in Mac but what are your preview settings?

• kill off everything:

• uncheck: enable hardware antialiasing
    • uncheck: enable hardware shading
    • uncheck: antialias rendered image
    • uncheck: OpenGL mipmaps

It will be much much faster

(if you're farting aroud in p11, then you have to select the firefly or superfly tab to render again (because for some daft reason after setting the preview renderer, now p11 sees it as the main renderer.).

kill off everything:

• uncheck: enable hardware antialiasing
    • uncheck: enable hardware shading
    • uncheck: antialias rendered image
    • uncheck: OpenGL mipmaps

It will be much much faster

(if you're farting aroud in p11, then you have to select the firefly or superfly tab to render again (because for some daft reason after setting the preview renderer, now p11 sees it as the main renderer.).

Thank you very much.

Done. Now let me see what happens....

• I've started doing complex interactive poses in a separate scene, parenting one figure to the other, then merging scenes. I can move them as a block if I need to and don't have to bother about matching poses again. If I need to move them individually just un-parent them.

To be fair, it's not daft. They are render settings tabs after all, and you have the preview render tab foremost. There should maybe be a general preview setting which could be overridden if preview render is selected as a render option.

• Poser Ambassadors

One big Poser bummer is that although we can create a "Preferred State", we cannot set Poser to start with it. It's either "factory defaults" or whatever state it was from when we've used it last time. This is completely pointless. We SHOULD be able to start Poser using the "Preferred State".

• @anniespewak Multiple Naming Support - I would like to be able to save a tree of parented figures under a unique name and have this prefixed to all the names in the tree automagically. For example, if you want to make a group of ten male figures, you have to go in and change the names manually for each of the figures and then save. With my way, you would save Bob, Fred, Joe and the hair for each would be Bob-Hair Fred-Hair and Joe-Hair without the tedium of all that renaming...

• @Ken1171 I'm not sure I understand the difference. Once I set my Prefered state, Poser starts that way until I change it.

• I mentioned Talk designer and Mimic before. I'm not sure which software would handle this, but if you're using one or the other of those two, A figure in Poser, should automatically mouth the words. Maybe you could hook up a connection via Kinect?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@Ken1171 I'm not sure I understand the difference. Once I set my Prefered state, Poser starts that way until I change it.

It starts like that depending on what you did in the last session. If you change the interface, Poser will save that when you exit, and use these settings next time you run Poser. You are always booting Poser to whatever state it was last time you have used it.

I have talked to SMS when we still had a beta program, and they agreed to changed that in Poser 12 because it makes sense, but now the team has changed, so it's like I have never said anything about it.

• @Ken1171 I have a memory dot set for the UI for that exact reason. If I accidentally nudge something I don't want it to throw off everything from then on.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Cobra said in Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro:

@Ken1171 I have a memory dot set for the UI for that exact reason. If I accidentally nudge something I don't want it to throw off everything from then on.

Me too, I keep a memory dot just so I don't accidentally loose my Preferred State, which is perfect to demonstrate how flawed this design is. Do we have to live in fear that we will loose our customized settings if we don't save it somehow? Every time we start Poser, that is always a possibility. After all, our saved Preferred State is being overwritten every time we close Poser. This is ridiculous. Poser must be able to preserve the Preferred State and use it as the default settings when we launch it. That's what every other program does.

• @Ken1171 As a workaround, you could try setting the 'Poser UI Prefs(your screen res here).xml' to read only (on my pc anyway, in the User/AppData/Roaming/Poser Pro/11 folder). That way if you do change the interface, it can't get saved and so loads as your preferred state. I just tried it by messing up my interface, closing Poser, restarting Poser and it loaded with my preferred layout intact. User dots still change the interface.
    I imagine this will probably prevent any setting a different preferred scene in the general prefs.

• since I don't see a rhyme or reason with Superfly shader settings, can we just have an automatic shader group converter. I've seen it on the Reality plug in. E.g.: conversion from firefly to superfly could work by classifying a shader as skin-shader, the converter does the rest, or as metal or as a rock shader.

• @masterstroke Just to satisfy my own curiosity, Masterstroke, how much have you actually played around with Superfly? For me, the nodes are pretty much straight forward. Their names practically tell you what they're for and what they do. Still, what are you having issues with? Maybe someone here can help you.