Frame border "jagging"

• I've tried this a few different ways, and I feel like I must be missing something obvious - when I split a frame border diagonally, it creates a really jagged pixelated line - there must be a way to smooth this out??

I've tried upping the dpi on the artwork but it doesn't seem to affect the border at all?

Pic below for reference:
    jagged border

• Solved: If you change the tool used to draw the border from "pen" to "pencil" it smooths out the line (albeit at the cost of making it ever so slightly fuzzy, but I assume you could create a custom brush to give it whatever properties you want. For my purposes, this is fine.).

problem solved

• @fingersome said in Frame border "jagging":

I've tried upping the dpi on the artwork but it doesn't seem to affect the border at all?

It's good you got your line smoothed out. The pencil has some anti-aliased pixels on the edge so the jaggies aren't so apparent. But your canvas is only 842x1191px. It doesn't matter how high you up your dpi, this is the pixel dimensions of your canvas. Up the dpi to 1,000,000 ppi if you want; your canvas is 842x1191px. The ppi (dots per inch is a printer term - computers use ppi; pixels per inch) is measured in inches. If your canvas is 842px wide and your resolution is 1200ppi your canvas will print about 3/5 of an inch wide. Reduce your ppi to 300 and your pixel dimensions remain the same but you will now print a little over two inches wide. But on the computer, your canvas is always going to be 842x1191px.

Why are you working at such a low resolution? If you art is destined for the web, I understand that you may want your final art (or a copy of it) to be exported at low pixel dimension but you can still produce your art at a much larger dimension. What are you going to do if you ever want to print this page?

• @garlam I'm aware of what DPI stands for. The page is for the web so it makes sense to keep the footprint small. I could work with a larger canvas but that would mean exporting it and compressing the image, which might fuck with the image quality.

I'll do some experiments.

• @fingersome Actually CSP does a good job of interpolating when you reduce down the resolution ... in effect adding the anti aliasing that you would require to get rid of the Jaggies. So I would agree with Garlam that it gives you more control and more options to use a higher resolution and then export it at the lower resolution for web when its ready