Noobie question

• Hello all, and thank you for reading my post (hopefully!). I have been (enjoyably and frustratingly) playing around with Poser for a year or so and I must admit it is overwhelming to me. I have watched all of the tutorials here and in other places and I find that I am severely lacking in (what I think is) the kind of fundamental technical knowledge it takes to really get the most out of the program. So, my question is: can anyone direct me to a resource of information that really introduces and explains the "guts" of the program? For example, I am not familiar with all of the file-types that are used; I have no experience with Python scripts; etc. In addition, I am not familiar with a good deal of the terminology that is used casually by those who have been studying these things for ages. Short of going back to school (which, at my age, is unlikely), is there some resource that you might recommend which covers Poser from the ground up? Or am I (naively) asking for something that is simply not available? I will not be offended at all if you talk to me like I'm 4!

• Hello Mike. Honestly, it depends on how best you like to learn. Although there's a great deal updated in Poser since version 8, it may be worthwhile to get the book, 'Practical Poser 8: The Official Guide'. It's available on Amazon for cheap and will offer a very good introduction. Despite the changes in the application, the bulk of the information in the book is still relevant. It'll probably be way more efficient than searching a multitude of forums and sifting through hours of videos. As I write this, the price is under $15 shipped (in the U.S.). As far as I know, it was the last of the "Practical Poser" series to be published. Hope this helps :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Poser-8-Official-Guide/dp/1584506970/
    And here's the link to the book on Content Paradise ($49.99), but you could save a few bucks at Amazon.
    http://www.contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=16127

• @mikejgabriele said in Noobie question:

Hello all, and thank you for reading my post (hopefully!). I have been (enjoyably and frustratingly) playing around with Poser for a year or so and I must admit it is overwhelming to me. I have watched all of the tutorials here and in other places and I find that I am severely lacking in (what I think is) the kind of fundamental technical knowledge it takes to really get the most out of the program. So, my question is: can anyone direct me to a resource of information that really introduces and explains the "guts" of the program? For example, I am not familiar with all of the file-types that are used; I have no experience with Python scripts; etc. In addition, I am not familiar with a good deal of the terminology that is used casually by those who have been studying these things for ages. Short of going back to school (which, at my age, is unlikely), is there some resource that you might recommend which covers Poser from the ground up? Or am I (naively) asking for something that is simply not available? I will not be offended at all if you talk to me like I'm 4!

Hey, don't feel bad about lack of knowledge. I've been using Poser since Poser 3 or 4 and I still don't know wtf I'm doing in the material room or any of that scripting stuff. I just like making interesting scenes and thank god for Reality because I've tried looking at tutorials for shaders and stuff and it's just like an alien language to me. :p

• Poser Ambassadors

Just found this. I hope it helps.

Beginner's Guide to Poser 8

• Thank you all, I really appreciate your help!

• Something that might also help, depending on how you like to learn, you could post some of your work here and ask for help making it better.

I learn by doing - so reading books to try to understand something isn't as effective as learning by example for me.

Let us know how we can help you the best.

• @smurfstalker said in Noobie question:

Hello Mike. Honestly, it depends on how best you like to learn. Although there's a great deal updated in Poser since version 8, it may be worthwhile to get the book, 'Practical Poser 8: The Official Guide'. It's available on Amazon for cheap and will offer a very good introduction. Despite the changes in the application, the bulk of the information in the book is still relevant. It'll probably be way more efficient than searching a multitude of forums and sifting through hours of videos. As I write this, the price is under $15 shipped (in the U.S.). As far as I know, it was the last of the "Practical Poser" series to be published. Hope this helps :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Poser-8-Official-Guide/dp/1584506970/
    And here's the link to the book on Content Paradise ($49.99), but you could save a few bucks at Amazon.
    http://www.contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=16127

I've read it. It's an excellent book!

• @Glitterati3D said in Noobie question:

Something that might also help, depending on how you like to learn, you could post some of your work here and ask for help making it better.

I learn by doing - so reading books to try to understand something isn't as effective as learning by example for me.

Let us know how we can help you the best.

Yes, don't be shy to ask questions here. Even if you think they might be silly. :)