List of Poser Vendors

• @eclark1849 Sure, Meshbox is alive and selling through Content Paradise. We also are moving our catalog over to Mirye Software, a sister site. This will also mark year 12 of using Poser to help out the NORAD Tracks Santa project.

• @meshbox And which site do you wish to be linked to?

• @eclark1849 said in List of Poser Vendors:

@Miss-B Well, unless someone wants to pay me a buttload of money, that's not what I had in mind. :D

Glad to hear it Earl. ~wink~

• @Miss-B SAD to hear this, I wish someone could pay him a buttload of money, haha...
    kidding...

• 19 categories so far and counting. I still have a lot of coding to do, and compiling the vendors under the correct category, but I'm going to try and put up a temporary site in a day or so to let you guys and gals have a sneek peek and taste of what's to come. I'd sure like your feedback, but please remember I'm no where near finished.

• @eclark1849 Look forward to seeing what you've compiled.

• Hey guys, would space ships and flying saucers fall under vehicles or sci-fi and fantasy?

• @eclark1849
    Personally I have mine installed in the 'vehicles' runtime, which contains subfolders for 'land', 'water' and 'air', regardless of genre (fantasy, sci-fi, realism, toon). This structure holds ever since I introduced it 17 years ago ;-)

• @Bytefactory3D Thanks for the reply, Martin. I'm trying to avoid as much redundancy as I can, which is hard to do. Some models, like space ships or their rooms and decks could fit into either... or. For example, the Bridge of the Enterprise could fit into Sci-Fi fantasy and since it is part of a spaceship it also qualifies as a vehicle.

• @eclark1849
    I have been creating professional data base designs as a Technical Advisor for Co-Operatives in Uganda for a couple of year. In my opinion in our case here it is not feasible to create 'exclusive' categories. Things will always be mixtures of various dimensions.
    This is why I would favor to create as many as needed bi-polar ('yes' vs. 'no') dimensions as checkbox filters. Trying not to be redundant is good (even a basic requirement in database creation), but on the other hand: the more dimensions there are available to chose from, the more detailed search results are feasible.

I look at it like those 'Venn diagrams' from mathematics, with i.e. three overlapping categories A, B and C.
    Something may meet A and B, but not C, another asset is equaly A and B but on top of that also C. Other times one might search for something out of C, regardless of whether it is any of A or B.

So, a list of 'yes/no' categories could solve your problem? This way something can well be 'Sci-Fi' and also the same time 'Fantasy'. Or a spaceship's interior can the same time be a 'vehicle' and also an 'interior'.

Just MHO, not intending to be a 'smart ass', smile...

• @Bytefactory3D Martin, actually, I quite agree with you. I'd love to break this down into as many categories as I can, how ever time and constraints aren't on my side. May be eventually. Since I am doing this on my own, I may add more categories in the future.

• @eclark1849
    I'm not a coder, but it sounds like you have three basic pathways open to you;
    one is an iterative keyword selection, so go to vehicles then filter from there by category (old, contemporary, sci-fi, fantasy) but that creates other problems... is a dragon fantasy transport or a creature/figure?
    The second option is to list the items under multiple categories. The dragon appears under both vehicle and creature.
    The third one is to go with the vendor description of their own content. If people can't find something it's not your fault!
    Do you go with Dewey or Linnaeus?

• @piersyf The way it is right now, unless the vendor states otherwise, I'm going with what and where the category the store put it i. The Dragon would actually present a three pronged problem creature, Transport and animal.

• Okay, I tried. I was going to use my Mac as a temp web server, so you guys could see what I was setting up. Sadly, apparently something has changed in the OSX software that would let me do that. I did have an older mac that I know would have let me do that by just dropping the right files i the right folder. Sadly, when I had my recent bout with heart failure, my relatives moved in and threw some of my stuff away, including that old mac. I could probably still do it with my current mac, but it involves learning some Unix commands and I'm not comfortable with that. I still have a host in mind however, but that means I can't put up the temp site like I wanted to. Sorry.

• Got Some new concerns. Here's banner I want to use on the directory. I just made it today. I'm concerned about using the Poser name and logo on the site. I don't want anyone to think it's an SM site and I'm not sure if SM might have some legal concerns with it as well.
    0_1501965050494_PCVD.jpg

• Screenshot.
    0_1501970460095_Screen shot 2017-08-05 at 5.55.10 PM.png

• Looks great

• @eclark1849 said in List of Poser Vendors:

Got Some new concerns. Here's banner I want to use on the directory. I just made it today. I'm concerned about using the Poser name and logo on the site. I don't want anyone to think it's an SM site and I'm not sure if SM might have some legal concerns with it as well.
    0_1501965050494_PCVD.jpg

If you have doubts about it then it probably means others would as well.

When I first looked at the design it did come across as official looking and I wouldn't use the logo, simply because post Poser companies didn't allow it - not sure about Smith Micro - only they could tell you.
    To get around the wording you could just distance yourself slightly - ie - Directory of Content Vendors for Poser ( the 'for Poser' distances you from the company in legal terms - petty I know, but saves a lot of cease and desists or worse in the long run)

• @adi said in List of Poser Vendors:

When I first looked at the design it did come across as official looking and I wouldn't use the logo, simply because post Poser companies didn't allow it - not sure about Smith Micro - only they could tell you.
    To get around the wording you could just distance yourself slightly - ie - Directory of Content Vendors for Poser ( the 'for Poser' distances you from the company in legal terms - petty I know, but saves a lot of cease and desists or worse in the long run)

I have to agree with adi. Not using the Poser logo would go a long way to NOT making it look like an official Poser site. Switching around the wording of the Banner will also go a long way to setting it apart from anything directly related to Smith Micro.

• @Miss-B Yeah, I think you guys might be right. I'll lose the logo and Change the name a bit. Still, I did want something to at least associate it more strongly with the Poser hobby, Just not the company.