List of Poser Vendors

• @eclark1849
    I'm not a coder, but it sounds like you have three basic pathways open to you;
    one is an iterative keyword selection, so go to vehicles then filter from there by category (old, contemporary, sci-fi, fantasy) but that creates other problems... is a dragon fantasy transport or a creature/figure?
    The second option is to list the items under multiple categories. The dragon appears under both vehicle and creature.
    The third one is to go with the vendor description of their own content. If people can't find something it's not your fault!
    Do you go with Dewey or Linnaeus?

• @piersyf The way it is right now, unless the vendor states otherwise, I'm going with what and where the category the store put it i. The Dragon would actually present a three pronged problem creature, Transport and animal.

• Okay, I tried. I was going to use my Mac as a temp web server, so you guys could see what I was setting up. Sadly, apparently something has changed in the OSX software that would let me do that. I did have an older mac that I know would have let me do that by just dropping the right files i the right folder. Sadly, when I had my recent bout with heart failure, my relatives moved in and threw some of my stuff away, including that old mac. I could probably still do it with my current mac, but it involves learning some Unix commands and I'm not comfortable with that. I still have a host in mind however, but that means I can't put up the temp site like I wanted to. Sorry.

• Got Some new concerns. Here's banner I want to use on the directory. I just made it today. I'm concerned about using the Poser name and logo on the site. I don't want anyone to think it's an SM site and I'm not sure if SM might have some legal concerns with it as well.
    0_1501965050494_PCVD.jpg

• Screenshot.
    0_1501970460095_Screen shot 2017-08-05 at 5.55.10 PM.png

• Looks great

• @eclark1849 said in List of Poser Vendors:

Got Some new concerns. Here's banner I want to use on the directory. I just made it today. I'm concerned about using the Poser name and logo on the site. I don't want anyone to think it's an SM site and I'm not sure if SM might have some legal concerns with it as well.
    0_1501965050494_PCVD.jpg

If you have doubts about it then it probably means others would as well.

When I first looked at the design it did come across as official looking and I wouldn't use the logo, simply because post Poser companies didn't allow it - not sure about Smith Micro - only they could tell you.
    To get around the wording you could just distance yourself slightly - ie - Directory of Content Vendors for Poser ( the 'for Poser' distances you from the company in legal terms - petty I know, but saves a lot of cease and desists or worse in the long run)

• @adi said in List of Poser Vendors:

When I first looked at the design it did come across as official looking and I wouldn't use the logo, simply because post Poser companies didn't allow it - not sure about Smith Micro - only they could tell you.
    To get around the wording you could just distance yourself slightly - ie - Directory of Content Vendors for Poser ( the 'for Poser' distances you from the company in legal terms - petty I know, but saves a lot of cease and desists or worse in the long run)

I have to agree with adi. Not using the Poser logo would go a long way to NOT making it look like an official Poser site. Switching around the wording of the Banner will also go a long way to setting it apart from anything directly related to Smith Micro.

• @Miss-B Yeah, I think you guys might be right. I'll lose the logo and Change the name a bit. Still, I did want something to at least associate it more strongly with the Poser hobby, Just not the company.

• Okay, changed the banner to reflect the earlier discussion.
    0_1502009375473_PCVD.png

• @eclark1849
    did you ever consider asking them? I mean, they could even be ready to authorize it as an 'official' vendors compendium?

Around 2 years ago I used to ask Steve Cooper (by that time product manager for Poser) if it is okay to use the Poser logo in my promo renders, because I wanted to make it clear which ones were rendered in Poser, which ones in other applications. I told him I could of course just write 'Poser' instead, but the logo would be less disturbing in images.

He answered 'just go ahead using the logo, after all it is advertisement for Poser and we even thank you'.

• @Bytefactory3D I had dealings with Steve before, and would have felt more comfortable talking to him. I don't know any of these new people.

• @eclark1849
    here is the response (email) from Steve, Ocr 2014:

Please feel free to include Rendered in Poser Pro graphics or include the product logo on images you've rendered using Poser. The original 2012 version of the logos were provided freely by us for this purpose. The staff member who originally created these graphics is no longer with us, so updated versions have not been produced.

• @Bytefactory3D said in List of Poser Vendors:

here is the response (email) from Steve, Ocr 2014:

Please feel free to include Rendered in Poser Pro graphics or include the product logo on images you've rendered using Poser. The original 2012 version of the logos were provided freely by us for this purpose. The staff member who originally created these graphics is no longer with us, so updated versions have not been produced.

I used the 2012 versions to create new ones for PoserPro 11, and I had to look to the Wayback Machine site to even find them, since they're no longer available on SM's site.

@Bytefactory3D I had dealings with Steve before, and would have felt more comfortable talking to him. I don't know any of these new people.

The new team seems friendly enough. We've only had positive experiences so far.

• @meshbox I'm just not making any assumptions.... yet.

• BTW, I think I'm going to be adding a few more categories, such as:

Toon/Anime
    Freebies.
    Independents

A lot of artists have their own sites/ store and give away things as freebies. I don't want to leave them out simply because they don't sell at one of the Big 4 brokerages. I'm not sure where Share CG falls on that line anymore.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in List of Poser Vendors:

Got Some new concerns. Here's banner I want to use on the directory. I just made it today. I'm concerned about using the Poser name and logo on the site. I don't want anyone to think it's an SM site and I'm not sure if SM might have some legal concerns with it as well.
    0_1501965050494_PCVD.jpg

Poser changes its logo with each new version, so the benefits of using it are negligible. Invent your own is probably best and saves you potential problems.

Suggestion: Add a main page where you can browse by vendor. Often you are impressed by the quality or effort a vendor puts in and you want to see more.

And one thing which would really be appreciated is a "What's new" page: A new additions (vendors/products) to the listing. This is the thing which I would really like to see - a site independent listing of new items which have appeared.
    There are many places where new content appears which gets missed by most users - like Xurge, EvilIinnocence, mankahoo, Mamomamo, Mylochka, adh3d., etc.

There are many excellent things which Poser users miss because they do not know about them - like Sasha.

It would be great to have an asset like this - if it is kept to poser. There have been several initiatives but they includes DS, making it pretty useless for Poser (like http://posercontent.com/)

• @wimvdb To b e honest, I'm not sure I see the benefit of browsing by vendor without the benfit of knowing what that vendor makes. Hence, browsing by category with the vendor listed under the category for which he makes content.

As for what's new, the site will be continuously updated as people move around, sites close, stores get bought out, etc. We'll see how things go. Plus, I want to keep it "fresh".

As for what's new, the site will be continuously updated as people move around, sites close, stores get bought out, etc. We'll see how things go. Plus, I want to keep it "fresh".

I'd like to make a suggestion, but you can totally ignore it if you wish. What I've often seen on sites is a blog page that introduces updates/new products. Maybe you could utilize something similar to post changes when a vendor moves, opens their own shop, or even just when you've added new links to vendors you've just discovered. Certainly a good place to use banners. ~wink~