How many heads?

• I know in art, the average adult human figure is generally proportioned at 7.5 heads tall. I also know children are proportioned differently. Does anyone know a reference for children to see how they vary at different ages?

• Poser Ambassadors

0_1500723605273_HeadHeight.jpg

• Everything I have agrees with Ghostman's post.

• thanks guys

• Keep in mind that also depends on the height you're giving to your character. Short/medium height men have less than 7.5 heads, and that's exaggerated in comics; that standard of 7.5 is to give an impression of tall, elegant men and women, it's not exactly realistic; a very tall man will have somewhat more of 7.5, and that's also exaggerated in comics.

I usually give my guys between 7.5 and 8.0 heads to give that slightly anime look of "big" to them, and I usually give my girls between 6.5 and 7.5 heads (with long legs) to also give that slightly anime feel of "young" to them.

• Please be aware these are rule of thumbs to draw a idealised figure. Better is to look at real people, models, photographs.
    Shorter people do have bigger heads (compaired to their body) , because the brain has to fit in which has always the same size, and longer people have smaller heads for the same reason. When you look at very tall people, they a big jaws compaired to the rest of their head, and small people have a bigger cranium. It's pure biology, some dimensions stay always the same : eyes, brains, organs. Young people have smaller heads, because the brain keeps growing untill they are about 16-18 years old, but the eyes have almost the same size when they are born. That's why children have relatively big eyes.
    Proportions do always change, and no people are alike. It's all in the genes.

Best regards,

Bopper.

• I know this is a general guideline, not a hard fast rule. But it's a starting point.

• Some years ago we had a similar thread on rendo that got rather derailed. Someone even got banned because of his statements.But I'm not afraid that will happen here.

• I'm also not looking to make a figure or a character for an existing figure. Some of the images I do include families with young children or babies. Many of the poser kids don't look right to me. I think it's mostly because they have closer to adult proportions than they should.

• @redphantom Every Poser child I've seen (with the exception of Diva for Dawn and Baby Luna) has absolutely egregious proportions--and body shapes. I swear whoever modeled K4 has never seen a child in real life. By height, K4 looks about three, but the proportions are all wrong (yes, kids have big heads, but not that big) and the shoulders are about 2.5x too wide. I'm working on a product to fix it (and make K4 capable of being anywhere between 3 and 8), but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to distribute it. :/

• @redphantom said in How many heads?:

I'm also not looking to make a figure or a character for an existing figure. Some of the images I do include families with young children or babies. Many of the poser kids don't look right to me. I think it's mostly because they have closer to adult proportions than they should.

0_1500828550905_Pauline Toddler.jpg

Pauline as a young girl (WIP, age 5 or 6-ish). Unfortunately I no longer have access to the files but I had Pauline sculpted to several different ages. The only ones that were released were the teens. The others needed tweaking on weights.

I suppose I could always start another one ....

• PS ... excellent references are:

"Children's Proportions for Artists" (Eugene F. Fairbanks)
    and
    "Human Proportions for Artists" (Avard T. Fairbanks)

• Poser Ambassadors

@Deecey
    Very nice work Dee.

• @vilters said in How many heads?:

@Deecey
    Very nice work Dee.

She really made a cute little girl! Creating morphs is probably one of my favorite Poser tasks. Rigging not so much. LOL

• @Deecey Is that a tattoo on her upper left arm?

• @eclark1849 said in How many heads?:

@Deecey Is that a tattoo on her upper left arm?

I dunno! LOL I haven't seen the original files in ages, and I don't remember putting a tattoo on it. I wonder if I accidentally pasted something in the render. I have a small turntable video and it's not in that, so I have no idea what that mark is on her arm.

I'm still hunting to see if MAYBE I might be able to find the file.

• I tried to post the video but I guess I don't have enough "reputation."

That is pretty funny. LMAO

• She's cute. Too bad she was never released.

• @redphantom

Yeah I'm tempted to give it another go. I was really happy with her.

• Please do, she's the best Pauline morph I've seen to date, by far. BTW, your 'tattoo' appears to be the tip hairs from the left ponytail. In the larger image you can see it starting to intersect with her left collar region.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.