Question for the Ambassadors...

• @eclark1849 Really Earl? :rolling_eyes:

• OMG, and I thought i was an poser addict! This is so over the top, you have to find a hobby:laughing:

• @bopperthijs I'm not going to lie. I was looking out my window the other day at the woods behind my house and started thinking "I wonder how many vertices that would take?:smile:

• I'm on a vacation right now, and I'm still using poser in my spare time on my laptop.

• Poser Ambassadors

Tony! Wow, it's so nice to have a face to put the name to. Great photo. Thank you for sharing that!

• Do you guys use benchmark scenes to test Poser?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in Question for the Ambassadors...:

Do you guys use benchmark scenes to test Poser?

Not really specific benchmark scenes. I use a series of older scenes and compare results and render times with the previous version of Poser. If there are a significant differences, i investigate.

• Poser Ambassadors

Yes and no; Depends on what is going on.

Over the years, I filed over 250 motivated and documented reports, each requiring a specific set of rules to reproduce. (Sometimes including a scene, a prop, a texture, or a complete video in the report to show/demonstrate the issue.)

Some are bug reports, some are enhancement reports, some are confirmation reports, and the list goes on.

The more detailed a report is, the sooner the Poser team can reproduce "in house" and implement the enhancement or find and fix the bug. (An issue can only be fixed or implemented if the Poser team can reproduce it locally.)

"Benchmarking" like checking render speeds, comes "in between", and usually as a comment attached to another report. (Speed goes up or down depending what is used and/or implemented) and as Wim said : It depends. Did the code of the node change? Is it calculated different? Did the light change?

Sometimes a report takes a only a minute to make.
    Sometimes, it takes a week or more to find the exact "location" and reproducibility of a bug. (Or the "general public" profit for an enhancement report).

( I have been Posering from Poser1, and beta-testing for something over 7.5 years now. )

And sometimes, you simply have to wait for the next version to get your report in.
    That's life, man-hrs are expensive and sometimes the priorities are elsewhere.

In 2011, I filed a report to get a pure : "txt to speech", knowing the implementing would perhaps be ready by 2020, perhaps even beyond.

Pure speed Benchmarking?
    First investigate the changes and perhaps the speed increase or reduction is normal.

Best regards, Tony

• I am Ambassador, I hve not received any testing requests.

• Poser Ambassadors

Same here ... could we get a status on this?

• @Boni Nothing to get a status on. I'm just asking the ambassadors questions on how they test Poser for SM.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 I was just responding to @ibr_remote who was wondering why it has been so long since the last test release, I was wondering the same thing.

• @Boni Don't know if this thread will help.To be honest, I sometimes wonder if anyone's at home at SM.

• Poser Ambassadors

Generally, it will be an ambassador responding in the forum, rather than a dev; that's the "ambassador" part of our job, to free up the devs to work on coding.

Benchmarking: I don't usually test for render speed; only if I suspect a noticeable lag in render speed.

I do repeatedly use certain test scenes to check for consistency, any unintentional changes in behavior.

As an example of a test scene, I have a box with four windows, each using a different method of animating the same texture. I'll run a networked Queue render to check that the behavior is consistent, and run another to compare Superfly to Firefly. That scene's quad-video prop's only purpose is to facilitate animation test renders.

Another test scene is Roxie running along a ship's hallway. That scene uses dynamics and several special effects. Running a networked Queue render of that animation checks several things at once.

I have watched Roxie run down that hallway many times. giggle

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    You write : "I sometimes wonder if anybody is at home at SM".

Don't forget that SM is in the middle of a reorganisation.

Basically : The existing USA SM Graphics department closed end november 2016 with a restart in Portugal where they are opening Job applications, and all this information is freely available on the Internet.

From public statements : SM plans to continue its Graphics program development with a new team.

In between : Poser ambassadors see it as their duty (and personal motivation and pride) to cover the gap and help out in the forums while SM concentrates on its restructuring.

Best regards, Tony

• @vilters Actually, Tony, I don't know why but I usually expect a company like SM to let it's customers know what the heck is going on. If it hadn't been for a chance mention by Chuck Taylor in a recent thread, I wouldn't know anything about it. I thought that was the whole point in having a blog. And even then, I DID have to go digging for more information.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in Question for the Ambassadors...:

...I DID have to go digging for more information.

Someone compelled you?wry eye roll

• @seachnasaigh As a matter of fact, yes. Chuck mentioned that the development team had all been canned. Although, I knew that Teyon Alexander had been let go, I did not ask why. My upbringing doesn't allow me to pry into other people's business, like that. So when I stopped hearing from Chuck and others on the dev team, I didn't really think anything was wrong. So when Chuck mentioned the team getting canned, truth is I was worried that Poser was going away, so I started trying to find info on what was happening.

You can check out this thread at Hivewire for that: https://community.hivewire3d.com/threads/did-i-miss-a-memo-or-something.1868/

• Let us face it, companies seek offshoring to control cost all the time and some at least do very well afterwards.

A simple search on payscale.com gives a clue why:

Example: Job title: Senior Software Engineer:
    Salary in US :USD 107,330.- per year average
    Salary in Portugal: EURO 26,500.- per year average; (= USD 28,900.- appr)

• Poser Ambassadors

This info on the dev team is all news to me... I have been out of touch lately for many reasons.

That said - in answer to benchmarking - I have tried a few times, but as there are no official scenes with Poser for such, it becomes a question of cross-comparing between other scenes of other developers with similar setups. Other 3D tools I have come with pre-made benchmark scenes and comparative stats from various computer setups so all you need to do as an end user is load one up and run the scene to compare the end results. I think Poser Pro at least should consider adding something similar (a few preset scenes for benchmarking) so that Devs, Testers, and end users can all have a standard of comparison if needed.

I have, in past, looked in to specific errors or issues brought up by Users and tested myself to reproduce them, and report results as needed, and file reports as needed in the past. I went through a lot of trouble finding an exact specific solution to 32/64 bit AVI codecs, for my own needs as well as others, which I had tried spreading through numerous sources, but to this day I still see this same issue being reported as not functioning correctly on 64 bit machines and my answers are lost to the internet (Deleted from Daz3D and RuntimeDNA).

Also, for some reason, last year I stopped seeing forum replies from here in my email at Yahoo, but now that I switched I am getting them again. I just need to remember to check my Gmail more often.