Poser 11 Pro SreeD Preview Problem: See-Through Objects

• Hello there,

I'm currently using Poser 11 Pro on a Windows 10 laptop, and I'm encountering a problem with the SreeD preview. Specifically, if I have two or more models that have a transparency element on screen, the further-back model will often appear in front of what's in front of it. Hopefully that makes sense. Here is a screenshot to illustrate:

alt text

The pink hair model is much further back than the gray model, yet it appears as if it's in the foreground. I've tried checking and unchecking every configuration option in the Render Settings: Preview screen. I don't encounter the same problem in OpenGL, but I'd much prefer to use SreeD due to its faster processing speed. It may also be worth noting that I didn't encounter the same problem when using earlier versions of Poser on a Windows 7 laptop.

Has anyone else encountered and resolved this issue? Thanks in advance!

• @jmcdaniel models that use transparency in their material settings will look like this in preview mode.

• I have been searching for info pros and cons of Open GL preview vs spreeD but can't find any useful articles. This is for a MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2012 15 in. OS X 10.11.6,.
    Thanks for any advice or links.

• @uncle808us As @jmcdaniel says, SreeD tends to be faster, while OpenGL can be more realistic. However OpenGL is dependent on various factors such as your video card and its drivers, whereas SreeD is at least consistent. Consistently terrible in some respects, such as this issue with transparency.

• @uncle808us said in Poser 11 Pro SreeD Preview Problem: See-Through Objects:

I have been searching for info pros and cons of Open GL preview vs spreeD but can't find any useful articles. This is for a MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2012 15 in. OS X 10.11.6,.
    Thanks for any advice or links.

As a rule of thumb, you want to use OpenGL in your preview pane as long as you don't encounter any issues. (OpenGL is a standard in vid cards, so you shouldn't be having issues unless it's a particularly old card. Poser should be using all up-to-date OpenGL stuffs rather than legacy calls. HOWEVER, you're talkin' "Mac" and I don't do "Mac." :) ) OpenGL will yield better preview results, as well as good material previews. Sreed should only be considered for fallback use if your video card has problems with OpenGL or you have an older, less-powerful, card than is recommended.

Note: In your Preview settings window, you can make a great many settings that can dramatically improve both OpenGL performance and preview window results. The setting with the most impact is going to be the Transparency preview setting. Generally, you shouldn't expect good performance at a preview setting above 90%. Also, AO is not generally needed in the preview window. Lastly, your Mip Map setting can dramatically effect your Preview render/ease-of-use speed. I generally keep this at 512 for basic work, bumping it when I really need to work on details and see them rendered.

• @morkonan said in Poser 11 Pro SreeD Preview Problem: See-Through Objects:

Preview settings window

Please pardon my ignorance, but where is the preview setting window? Thank you for your help that was the answer I was looking for.

• Poser Team

@uncle808us Preview settings are on the right tab of the render settings window.

• @shvrdavid said in Poser 11 Pro SreeD Preview Problem: See-Through Objects:

@uncle808us Preview settings are on the right tab of the render settings window.

Thank you that was easy.

• Poser Team

@uncle808us Your welcome

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.