What's not useful in Poser?

• Poser Ambassadors

The hair room.

Like the faceroom, it dates back to Poser5.

How many actually "use" the hair room on a daily basis, and get decent and reproducible results?
    "As it is", and we are in 2017 after all, it is more a "hit and run room".

Hair room, remove or bring to 2017 standards.

• Poser Team

@vilters Is this because you do it another way?

• Poser Ambassadors

Figure => Figure Height.
    This old function only works on Poser 4 (or older) figures.
    You can choose from ; Baby till Heroic Model, but it only works on Poser 4 or older figures.

P11 comes with scaling and "Match Centers to Morphs".

Some of these obsolete functions can safely be removed.

• Poser Ambassadors

@h.elwood.gilliland

Sure, everybody returns to geometry hair as a prop or figure, or even hair created in the cloth room because the current hair room is so "end user unfriendly, and most of all it is unpredictabe.

And there are a lot of bugs in the hair room, like kink is calculated AFTER the simulation. => This puls the hair back INSIDE the head after the hair simm has run.

=> Most of these hair room bugs are in Mantis. (I think, I have at least 5 Mantis reports for the hair room alone.

(Also some Mantis Reports fro the faceroom too.)

Logical : All these date from Poser 5 and have not seen an update while other apps moved on.

• Poser Ambassadors

Figure => Genitalia

Another function that can be removed because, well honestly, I have never seen it in actual use. => None of the modern figures call for it.

• Poser Ambassadors

Scripts :

In Scripts you have 2 that can be merged (or separated but better documented then)

Build Meta Data
    Metadate Builder

????????????????

• @vilters The hair room could be improved. And it could be useful or things like grass. Blender's hair "room" would be great in Poser.

• All of my freebie characters were created initially in the face room. Ergo, by definition, the face room is "useful."

0_1501192677093_Oichi No Makeup.jpg

0_1501192704739_Heroine Zawati.jpg

0_1501192728151_Zhao Ji Portrait.jpg

0_1501192770564_I am Paulette 2.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

The hair room needs updating, not removal. Fix the bugs and add better tools to create hair with and more people will use it.

Same with the face room. Update it, don't remove it. Give us the ability to make our own figures faceroom compatible.

Same with the cloth room. Update it, don't remove it. Allow cloth presets (denim, silk, pvc, etc)., to be stored, so that they can be quickly applied to new cloth items. This should have been done years ago. Adding real time cloth simulation the way other software packages do would make the cloth room a lot more useful for a lot of folks.

• The truth is, a lot of the features that are in Poser are very useful, or could be.. If people aren't using them or using them more it's because they simply don't know how, or those features are either difficult to use or difficult to achieve the desired outcome. As someone famously once said, "The definition of insanity, is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome."

• As other people said before, the hair room must be updating, for speed and easy way of using, not delete it.

The faceroom would be useful if we can use it for any figure by default, I mean open a figure, "import" it to faceroom and use it, without spcial files...

• Poser Ambassadors

Is SM going to clean up Poser? Is there a specific intent from the dev team?

I ask because IMO the most important thing for Poser is to get a core rewrite.

Failing that there are various things that could be added to improve the feature set, but I can’t see any reason to spend time & money removing features unless their removal would actively improve Poser. Plus a forum is only a small section of the user base, so it would seem prudent to consult a wider set of users before stripping features out.

On the rooms - Hair, Face & Cloth - AFAIK they are third-party code. As the rooms have not had updates since their inception (that I am aware of), it would seem likely to me that the Poser team are not allowed to touch the code due to licensing restrictions.

So the rooms would either stay as they are or go completely (personally I could say goodbye to Hair & Face, but not Cloth). Also tough to sell a new version with reduced functionality ;)

• Poser Ambassadors

@caisson said in What's not useful in Poser?:

On the rooms - Hair, Face & Cloth - AFAIK they are third-party code. As the rooms have not had updates since their inception (that I am aware of), it would seem likely to me that the Poser team are not allowed to touch the code due to licensing restrictions.

If licensing is the reason they haven't been updated then I agree they need to be removed and replaced with something that the dev team actually has control over. This is the problem I have with using 3rd party licensed add-ons. If you can't modify the add-ons then it eventually becomes a hindrance that holds back progress. Not too long ago I tried looking online to see if I could find any information about the company that created the cloth room, in order to see if they had any more recent versions of its functionality and there is no trace of their existence online. That tells me they are either now defunct or have been bought by someone else.

Dynamic cloth and hair are a couple of the key features in Poser that help it to stand out from its competition, so more development needs to be put in those areas. Removing them completely without a better replacement would be rather detrimental at this point.

• @AmbientShade Frankly, I'm stunned that Poser would add code that it had no control over, although now I can understand why they fought so hard against adding Daz tech to Poser to allow Genesis to work.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 Next time you have Poser opened, look at the About screen. You'll see there's a long list of 3rd party add-ons that comprise the current tool set. It's an easy way to add features to a program without having to design your own code. There's nothing wrong with that as long as that code is licensed in such a way that allows the free modification of it. Sometimes that happens, other times it doesn't. When you're stuck with code you can never modify then you might as well not use it at all. Otherwise as it ages it holds you back.

Poser needs to focus on features that help it stand out from the (growing) crowd. This isn't 2005.

• Looking at the add-ons dynamic cloth looks to be by size 8. Dynamic hair isn't mentioned. It's possible it's in the open source section listed under a name I can't identify. But if that's the case, open source would mean they could change it, couldn't they?

Of course, there's no reason they have to keep using the old code. They could create their own dynamic cloth simulation. As long as it can drape any geometry (like now) it won't break old content. At worst, people would have to redrape old scenes, of course, they have to do that now.

• Content is in serious need of purging or updating to more modern standards.

• @AmbientShade I've advocated Poser adopting Blender's Hair and animation tools. They're open source anyway.

• For me, the Face Room and Hair Room are not useful as they are. Others have already mentioned what can be done to improve the Face Room.

I'd like to see the Hair Room redone to include support for doing polygonal hair strips (with transmaps to represent hair strands). I've found I prefer working with that over the more recent trend of fibermesh hair (transmapped hair renders faster, easier for me to morph and tweak). See 3D Coat which recently added the ability to create, edit/style transmapped hair.

Get rid of the Sketch Designer. It's also useless. I've tried and tried to produce something useful out of it, but it's a waste of time. I was hoping it could be useful for comic book renders, but the results often are not helpful. The Geometric Edge Lines feature is closer to what I wanted from SD but Poser still needs to add the ability to generate cross-hatching in order to produce something that really comes close to a comic book look. Perhaps a new Sketch Designer could offer the cross-hatching...

• @eclark1849 What Metaballs? (unless you mean metadata?) Poser has never had native metaballs, and since Wierd Juice went into permanent stasis, even their plugins no longer work with the currently bundled python.