What's not useful in Poser?

• Poser Ambassadors

What's useless for one might be usefull for the other.

But I can tell you what I would love to see ship with Poser.

A HUGE Material Shader database with material files. (Like Octane has a live database with every material you can think of).

All kinds of liquids, metals, fabrics, woods, floors, walls, skin shaders, hair shaders, glass, paint, stones, jewels, etc.

So users could quickly setup their scene.

And what would make it even better...that vendors could base their materials on it for sale.

• @Biscuits; @Deecey ; @eclark1849 :
    What woudl help is a documented materials library, with clear explanation how a material works and why it is set up this way.
    The possibilities of the material room are endless. The compound nodes and the ability to re-name nodes are a big help to make things more overseeable and re-usable. In its bare-bone form a shader definition is as readable as Assembler code. This is a huge treshold. The material room woul be the ideal place to show math can be fun!!
    A real help would be if nodes (and compound nodes) could have a text box attached that explains what the node does, or better even at input parameter node, a bit like comments to cells in a spreadsheet.
    Further following up on spreadshets maybe a simple color code for inputs, say the maker can give the boxes he expects his users to modify and tune for results have an orange background (Excel default coding).

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 said in What's not useful in Poser?:

Unless someone at SM is going to start teaching a Poser Master class via webinar every week, I think better documentation and presets is essential. Poser has always had better documentation than Studio, still does, but it reads like a technical encyclopedia. It may tell you that water is wet, shiny, and blue, but there's nothing anywhere that shows you how to set that up in the material room.

Ther'es a collection of 7 hours worth of video instruction for Poser 11 available at SM's store, and currently 25% off: http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-add-ons-learning-poser-11.html

There is also a lengthy series of tutorials for both Poser 10 and 11 presented by Mark Bremmer on Renderosity's youtube channel here:

As well as numerous webinars and short videos on SM's youtube channel going back to at least Poser 9 here:

That doesn't include the numerous tutorials various individuals have written and posted on their own, both written and in video form. Of course more tutorials and documentation is always welcome, but there is far from a scarcity of information out there you just have to be willing to look for it. I still haven't found a sufficient source of information on DS's materials. I guess they're so easy to use tutorials aren't needed.

• Poser Team

@caisson Re: "Core rewrite" -- we are debating our next moves.

@F_Verbass It is a contrarian question to elicit a different type of response than what is in the other threads. I use this to garner different responses for a usability and inquiry reason. I will post another question soon structured to discover other opinions.

• Poser Team

@F_Verbaas RE: Introductions .... I was waiting until they fixed my username (it is too long on the forum to allow me to modify my Profile) ... luckily @shvrdavid helped set that up. I'm also a little timid because I'm still in the introductory "Trial Phase" of my employment with SMSI, but I hope this job will last years and the product will improve 100 fold. That being said, I have a history which I'm happy to share....

I am the newest and only US graphics developer on the team, and I interface directly and often with the team in Braga, Portugal. A side effect of getting this job has been to embrace the Portuguese language. It is a challenge, but a welcome one. My official titles, and yes there are two, at least for now, are: Lead Software Engineer - Productivity and Graphics, SMSI -- and Lead Graphics Architect - Productivity and Graphics, SMSI. My purview includes both Poser and Moho. I am, so far, here to temper the scrappy Braga team with wisdom and product longevity concerns, though it is an interesting time here at SMSI and for the Graphics products. I run analysis and together we make decisions about how to clean up the code. We have a smashing new, young and excited team who is beginning this process but still maintaining connectivity with the founders of the Poser project.

Prior to joining SMSI, I was recently a minor founder, Lead Software Architect, and Director of Software at a startup company PieceMaker Technologies Inc., a Pittsburgh, PA USA based 3D printing retail innovation startup. At our height, the startup was in some of the major stores, including the flagship Times Square, NY location, of Toys-"R"-Us, offering for the first time custom designed 3D toys printed right in the store. My proudest moment was when we signed licensing deals with Nickelodeon and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles showed up to print their own custom toys.

0_1501511489378_kids-can-3d-print-spongebob-squarepants-more-thanks-in-store-piecemaker-booths-4.jpg

0_1501511586387_url.jpg

I am at heart a game developer, and in the years prior to working at PieceMaker I built a custom game engine in 2D and 3D for Lost Astronaut Studios. (LostAstronaut.com) My game engine is written solely for Windows, and has over 400,000 lines of code which I have been cultivating since 2006. In 2008 I began working with libAgar, the UI that lead to the Blender project, and by 2009 I was deeply involved in creating 2D, 2.5D and 3D experiences. We used our engine at PieceMaker, where I licensed them a non-exclusive copy for use in building 3D applications, that I then proceeded to build.

I too was a customer of DAZ3D after learning about it from Adam Sessler on G4 (a producer there was a friend of mine from High School) and therefore Poser was a part of the deal. At one point, I owned 99% of the entire DAZ library. Hard earned salary went into buying that content -- what ultimately became a waste of time and money for me -- because in lieu of having only one dedicated game developer at "Lost Astronaut", I decided to go the 2D route and I bought a copy of Anime Studio. When I became frustrated with the type of output from the tool (it is not good for real-time rendering needed for games, yet?), I went on to build my own simpler version of "Moho" which you can see at lostastronaut.com or on the Twitter profile for the company, @LAGameStudio in the "Moments" section of the profile.

This work attracted the attention of SMSI through a recruiter. I honestly didn't think I would get the job, but now I'm here, 20 years later and wiser than my first application to the company.

I bring an academic background to the position as well, as I studied Interaction Design at Carnegie Mellon University, a self-defined degree which is now offered as an undergraduate degree. I have a Bachelor of Science. I am approaching Poser and Moho both from an interest in animation, an understanding of modern graphics architecture, and as a former user. I'm here to help both tools become more refined, easier to use, with a better UI, and more reliable underlying code. The team in Braga wants to make your dreams come true, so we've gone and grabbed the mop, a chisel and a chainsaw and we're going to figure out where to start carving out a better future for these awesome tools.

• @h.elwood.gilliland Welcome and well come! Thank you for sharing that with us :-)

• I was going to ask you whether you were on top of all the various streams of input/feedback/request/demand/plea that abound in these forums and the general Poserverse, but I can see now that that is exactly what you are about, so I won't ask whether I need to repost every one of my feature/fix/functionality requests in every thread you post in ;-) Cheers.

• Poser Team

@anomalaus Yes, so far. I will be coding someday soon, I swear!

• Poser Ambassadors

@h.elwood.gilliland

Thanks so much for the introduction. Much appreciated sir, and looking forward to a constructive Poser/Moho future.
    Best regards, Tony

• @h.elwood.gilliland You might be the perfect person to ask this then. Is it possible to get Poser, Blender and Moho's animation systems to play nice together?

• Poser Team

@eclark1849 I want to answer your question in detail, but I don't think I can. We have really specific rules about what I can reveal from behind the scenes. I can say that we've discussed this as a possible goal. I can also say our introduction of Cycles was not a simple decision, and that we would of course want to harness it more fully in the future. I believe announcements have been made in that regard previously.

• @h.elwood.gilliland Dude, I'm estatic to know that you've at least discussed the possibility. You wanted to know what was useful in Poser and what was not. I am NOT advocating the removal of the animation system in Poser., But I originally bought Poser for the first time with version 2, precisely because I wanted to use Poser for animation. I eventually settled for storyboarding instead. But I'd still like to use Poser for animation. If it weren't for the Cloth room I'd probably have just given up on it altogether by now.

• Poser Team

@eclark1849 There is a growing perception that Poser is used for static images. It's even out there in the docs. I came here to improve and make animation easier for people. Only time can tell if I succeed at that endeavor.

• @h.elwood.gilliland
    OK thank you for the introduction. Good to know there is someone on the Smith Micro end of the line who has some tracks in the 3D (and 2D) world.
    I take the 'scrappy' of the Braga team you mention refers to them asking, and rightly so, whether it is worth while to spend effort in repairing some old code, so cut out functions, rather than fix them. That would explain starting this thread.

• Poser Team

@F_Verbaas By "Scrappy" I mean that they are young, ambitious, determined and creative, and not afraid of stumbling through some red tape to get things done. According to google (adj) Scrappy: NORTH AMERICAN (informal) determined, argumentative, or pugnacious. e.g. https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/270447

• @h.elwood.gilliland
    Oxford Dictionary definition of 'scrappy': Consisting of disorganized, untidy, or incomplete parts. LOL!!

Americans and Brits: Two people divided by a common language.

• @h.elwood.gilliland said in What's not useful in Poser?:

@F_Verbaas By "Scrappy" I mean that they are young, ambitious, determined and creative, and not afraid of stumbling through some red tape to get things done. According to google (adj) Scrappy: NORTH AMERICAN (informal) determined, argumentative, or pugnacious. e.g. https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/270447

Scrappy dooooo!
    0_1501536720482_scrappy-doo_124281a_2237.gif

• Yeah, basically not afraid to "get into it" with anyone, at any time. ~wink~

• @h.elwood.gilliland said in What's not useful in Poser?:

@eclark1849 I can also say our introduction of Cycles was not a simple decision, and that we would of course want to harness it more fully in the future. I believe announcements have been made in that regard previously.

You know where they announced this? "Cause I missed it.

• @h.elwood.gilliland

Yo don't forget them metaballs in Poser! I think in Portuguese it's called "Metabalones"

Everybody repeat with me: "Yo quero metabalones! Yo quero metabalones!"

:^D