Poser 11 SR7 is available

• @erogenesis

That's a great looking render too. Eventually you could get that to look like water, if you wanted to. As it is, it's a great goop render! :)

• @anomalaus said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@erogenesis coincidentally, I just happened to be test rendering a scene which has that kind of effect.

0_1502897119245_Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 1.23.08 am.png

I'm going to call it "Two-part epoxy nightmare" or "Refraction, dispersion and caustics! Oh my!"

Haha, yeah this was similar to my first attempt at water... or rather mud...

alt text

Plorp is the word I was looking for... :D That wasn't metaballs though. That was an actual mesh done in max...

I then moved on to clothsim with a transmap and displacement:

***=NSFW content***

click to show

To actual simulations in Maya:

***=NSFW content***

click to show

This was done using FF's progressive renderer (also a combination of prog and normal FF):

***NSFW content***

click to show

And ended up with SF renders:

***=NSFW content***

click to show

Check here if you wanna see more! Be warned, plenty naughty!

Poser is pretty darned cool!

SF Render with refraction, fake (three colour separated IOR variable) dispersion and caustics. Compare the refraction blurring the upper edge of the left hand where it's embedded to the exposed thumb.

I haven't even gotten into caustics yet. That changes things dramatically in certain scenes!

@anomalaus said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@anomalaus Oh no! I completely missed the chance to call it "Cloudy, with a chance of metaballs!" ;-)

lol! This metaballs is a serious thing. I keep reading about it!

@McGrandpa said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@erogenesis

That's a pretty render, and in more ways than one! That area where the air interfaces with water and lens; pretty cool effect. Be hard to check in real life for accuracy in Focus though! But it sure looks good. Wouldn't matter what subjects were in the water either. Human, piscean, crocodillian. ;o)
    Love the scenery set in the background too!
    Yeah ok, the girls look really nice too!

hehe cheers McGramps! Yeah that contact was a total thumbsuck, I would imagine there would be some kind of glow emanating from the refraction of light on the viscous water on the lens, but whether that really does happen I wouldn't know for sure.

• I'm experiencing far more crashes and hangs, mostly hangs, since upgrading to SR7. Much of my use involves Genesis2 figures/DSON. Currently experiencing consistent hangs when importing a figure. Able to import the same figures fine in Poser 2014. Is there a way to revert to SR6?

• Poser Ambassadors

@grundy said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

I'm experiencing far more crashes and hangs, mostly hangs, since upgrading to SR7. Much of my use involves Genesis2 figures/DSON. Currently experiencing consistent hangs when importing a figure. Able to import the same figures fine in Poser 2014. Is there a way to revert to SR6?

If you start the download manager and then go to Edit Preferences, you can find the download location it uses. You can also see how many older versions it will keep.
    Go there with a file manager. At that location you will see a folder called Installed. In it you will find the older versions. Just use the older one to install the previous SR.

• @wimvdb said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

I'm experiencing far more crashes and hangs, mostly hangs, since upgrading to SR7. Much of my use involves Genesis2 figures/DSON. Currently experiencing consistent hangs when importing a figure. Able to import the same figures fine in Poser 2014. Is there a way to revert to SR6?

If you start the download manager and then go to Edit Preferences, you can find the download location it uses. You can also see how many older versions it will keep.
    Go there with a file manager. At that location you will see a folder called Installed. In it you will find the older versions. Just use the older one to install the previous SR.

Thank you for the help. I looked through that folder and I seem to only have the latest SR downloaded in that location. Do you know if there's anywhere else I can still get SR6?

• Poser Ambassadors

@wimvdb said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Thank you for the help. I looked through that folder and I seem to only have the latest SR downloaded in that location. Do you know if there's anywhere else I can still get SR6?

The only option to get the updates is via the download manager.
    Contact SM support, maybe they can help you to get the previous SR

• Hi guys. Been about a month now, everybody and PP 11 SR7 doing ok? Its doing fine here. I note that SR7 is more stable, meaning I haven't had it crash on me yet. And that's working with many kinds of prop sets, all the Figures I like using. A3, TY2, couple dozen droids, Gen 4, Genesis 2. I haven't tried any Genesis 3 stuff in a while. I got G3D Livia to work and that's it. I do really enjoy using the Genesis 2 stuff (DSON) as the mesh does bend and look much better. Plus its clothing and accessories behave better, usually with no collision errors. So, here I am with nothing to gripe about except I need another dozen or so gigs of RAM. Is anyone giving away free SSD's yet? No? Shucks. I also note that sitting idle SR7 is keeping way less RAM and not keeping something busy in the CPU. The temps stay low as they should. It isn't hitting the network except on startup. I like that.
    I haven't even got it to crash on a G2F with a V4 and M4 in scene hitting CTL-Z to Undo several steps in the G2F. That used to get an instant CTD and I'm like "Where'd it GOoooo!" No, it just runs. No wobbles or spit ups, no transporter errors either. So. Are S-M done with it now? New version about to hit the shelves?

• I am persnickity about my software and its updates. I really hate being forced to "fix something when it ain't broke" like some companies like to do. Glad SM isn't like that. I am glad too that even though they seem to frown on it, I have kept every update I've gotten for ever version of Poser I've bought.
    Now, for the use of the S-M DLM system. It took a few version releases for me to figure out some things. Like, S-M releases a new version, and they send you files for that version. You do NOT get to download anything older than the current release. That's One.
    Two. Be careful what you choose to download. You can get either the Update or Full version of whatever version is current. The update is a smaller file. The full installer is nearly one gigabyte.
    Which way do you want to go? That can depend on why you're installing the current version. If your hd crashed and you lost everything, have to reinstall Poser Pro, well that update won't work. Nothing to update. If you didn't opt for the full version, then you're going to have to log in and get the full version. That already happened to me. If you're in a hurry, just get the update, then later go back and get the full version.

• Unfortunately every time I open Poser I am greeted with this now.
    Do you want the application to accept incoming network connections?
    Deny or Allow it'll always pop up when I launch Poser now. Does anyone else get this?

As a side note; If I restore my Poser.app to a version I had back in July using Time Machine, everything is fine. But obviously, I want to use the latest version of Poser.

• @Cobra Me too. I have set the firewall pane and stuff. Not too annoying, in the grand scheme of things, because it did fix the menu jumping bug which was a LOT worse... :-)

• I just realised that it upgrades to Poser 11, not Poser Pro 11, but my serial is for Poser Pro 11 and I use Download Manager. So is there some change we should know about ?

• Poser Ambassadors

@ibr_remote said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

I just realised that it upgrades to Poser 11, not Poser Pro 11, but my serial is for Poser Pro 11 and I use Download Manager. So is there some change we should know about ?

It is the same installer, the serial number defines whether it is P11 or P11 Pro

• @Cobra said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Deny or Allow it'll always pop up when I launch Poser now. Does anyone else get this?

As a side note; If I restore my Poser.app to a version I had back in July using Time Machine, everything is fine. But obviously, I want to use the latest version of Poser.

Obviously, we need SM feedback on that, but I wonder if it's not due to Poser's use of logical "ports" and that portion of the program was updated and your system no-longer recognizes it as being allowed by your Firewall since its signature has changed.

IOW - It may not actually be communicating with anything outside of your system and doesn't need to access the internet or accept incoming internet connections, that's just the canned message that Windows gives you when Firewall port permissions are necessary for program function.

For a full answer, we need an SM statement regarding this, just for full transparency and confirmation, considering how much users could be alarmed at seeing such a message.

• well, I got the reply from SM support and it was likely an error on my part. I do have PP11 installed. Sorry for the little hiccough.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ibr_remote said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

well, I got the reply from SM support and it was likely an error on my part. I do have PP11 installed. Sorry for the little hiccough.

I think you looked at the license manager where the top line says Poser 11.
    But if you open that item, it will say Poser Pro 11. I was confused for a moment as well

• @wimvdb Yes. and my confusion was compounded by losing all my content because I made some silly decisions during the installation. Sigh !

• @ibr_remote said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@wimvdb Yes. and my confusion was compounded by losing all my content because I made some silly decisions during the installation. Sigh !

How? How could one lose all their content? Did you have it all in the default runtime and it deleted it during a perceived "fresh install?"

IF that's the case, it's dangerous... SM knows Poser fans have gigs of crap stored in their runtimes and should make efforts to protect users from themselves by creating an installer that will prompt the heck out of them should they choose options that will overwrite precious runtimes.

As always, though, the mantra of fans is pretty clear - Use remote runtimes for your precious stuffs. :)

(Interested to figure out how/why this happened so SM can take steps to protect us from doing bad things to ourselves... :) )

• @morkonan Honestly, I just don't think it's SM's responsibility. Doesn't mean that they can't take it upon themselves to ensure something like that wouldn't happen, but I don't think it's fair for users to just EXPECT them to do it.

• @eclark1849 said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@morkonan Honestly, I just don't think it's SM's responsibility. Doesn't mean that they can't take it upon themselves to ensure something like that wouldn't happen, but I don't think it's fair for users to just EXPECT them to do it.

Sure, it's not their responsibility. BUT, keep in mind, their installer is a "representative" of the company, just like the program is. So, an installer that helps to protect you from making a mistake that could have disastrous consequences, considering what users are likely to have in their runtimes, would be a nice touch.

Most installers that deal with customers who have legacy/saved content have warnings if a process could overwrite this content. That's an industry-standard practice.

• @morkonan said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

SM knows Poser fans have gigs of crap stored in their runtimes and should make efforts to protect users from themselves by creating an installer that will prompt the heck out of them should they choose options that will overwrite precious runtimes.

like this?

***NSFW content***

click to show

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.