Poser 11 SR7 is available

• I am persnickity about my software and its updates. I really hate being forced to "fix something when it ain't broke" like some companies like to do. Glad SM isn't like that. I am glad too that even though they seem to frown on it, I have kept every update I've gotten for ever version of Poser I've bought.
    Now, for the use of the S-M DLM system. It took a few version releases for me to figure out some things. Like, S-M releases a new version, and they send you files for that version. You do NOT get to download anything older than the current release. That's One.
    Two. Be careful what you choose to download. You can get either the Update or Full version of whatever version is current. The update is a smaller file. The full installer is nearly one gigabyte.
    Which way do you want to go? That can depend on why you're installing the current version. If your hd crashed and you lost everything, have to reinstall Poser Pro, well that update won't work. Nothing to update. If you didn't opt for the full version, then you're going to have to log in and get the full version. That already happened to me. If you're in a hurry, just get the update, then later go back and get the full version.

• Unfortunately every time I open Poser I am greeted with this now.
    Do you want the application to accept incoming network connections?
    Deny or Allow it'll always pop up when I launch Poser now. Does anyone else get this?

As a side note; If I restore my Poser.app to a version I had back in July using Time Machine, everything is fine. But obviously, I want to use the latest version of Poser.

• @Cobra Me too. I have set the firewall pane and stuff. Not too annoying, in the grand scheme of things, because it did fix the menu jumping bug which was a LOT worse... :-)

• I just realised that it upgrades to Poser 11, not Poser Pro 11, but my serial is for Poser Pro 11 and I use Download Manager. So is there some change we should know about ?

• Poser Ambassadors

@ibr_remote said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

I just realised that it upgrades to Poser 11, not Poser Pro 11, but my serial is for Poser Pro 11 and I use Download Manager. So is there some change we should know about ?

It is the same installer, the serial number defines whether it is P11 or P11 Pro

• @Cobra said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Deny or Allow it'll always pop up when I launch Poser now. Does anyone else get this?

As a side note; If I restore my Poser.app to a version I had back in July using Time Machine, everything is fine. But obviously, I want to use the latest version of Poser.

Obviously, we need SM feedback on that, but I wonder if it's not due to Poser's use of logical "ports" and that portion of the program was updated and your system no-longer recognizes it as being allowed by your Firewall since its signature has changed.

IOW - It may not actually be communicating with anything outside of your system and doesn't need to access the internet or accept incoming internet connections, that's just the canned message that Windows gives you when Firewall port permissions are necessary for program function.

For a full answer, we need an SM statement regarding this, just for full transparency and confirmation, considering how much users could be alarmed at seeing such a message.

• well, I got the reply from SM support and it was likely an error on my part. I do have PP11 installed. Sorry for the little hiccough.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ibr_remote said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

well, I got the reply from SM support and it was likely an error on my part. I do have PP11 installed. Sorry for the little hiccough.

I think you looked at the license manager where the top line says Poser 11.
    But if you open that item, it will say Poser Pro 11. I was confused for a moment as well

• @wimvdb Yes. and my confusion was compounded by losing all my content because I made some silly decisions during the installation. Sigh !

• @ibr_remote said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@wimvdb Yes. and my confusion was compounded by losing all my content because I made some silly decisions during the installation. Sigh !

How? How could one lose all their content? Did you have it all in the default runtime and it deleted it during a perceived "fresh install?"

IF that's the case, it's dangerous... SM knows Poser fans have gigs of crap stored in their runtimes and should make efforts to protect users from themselves by creating an installer that will prompt the heck out of them should they choose options that will overwrite precious runtimes.

As always, though, the mantra of fans is pretty clear - Use remote runtimes for your precious stuffs. :)

(Interested to figure out how/why this happened so SM can take steps to protect us from doing bad things to ourselves... :) )

• @morkonan Honestly, I just don't think it's SM's responsibility. Doesn't mean that they can't take it upon themselves to ensure something like that wouldn't happen, but I don't think it's fair for users to just EXPECT them to do it.

• @eclark1849 said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@morkonan Honestly, I just don't think it's SM's responsibility. Doesn't mean that they can't take it upon themselves to ensure something like that wouldn't happen, but I don't think it's fair for users to just EXPECT them to do it.

Sure, it's not their responsibility. BUT, keep in mind, their installer is a "representative" of the company, just like the program is. So, an installer that helps to protect you from making a mistake that could have disastrous consequences, considering what users are likely to have in their runtimes, would be a nice touch.

Most installers that deal with customers who have legacy/saved content have warnings if a process could overwrite this content. That's an industry-standard practice.

• @morkonan said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

SM knows Poser fans have gigs of crap stored in their runtimes and should make efforts to protect users from themselves by creating an installer that will prompt the heck out of them should they choose options that will overwrite precious runtimes.

like this?

***NSFW content***

click to show

• @erogenesis said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@morkonan said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

SM knows Poser fans have gigs of crap stored in their runtimes and should make efforts to protect users from themselves by creating an installer that will prompt the heck out of them should they choose options that will overwrite precious runtimes.

like this?

***NSFW content***

click to show

This... This is a beautiful thing. I sit in awe and bow to your superior intellect... :)

• @Cobra said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@Cobra: I get that same pop-up every time I launch Poser on my MacBook Pro (running macOS High Sierra). I tried fiddling with "Security & Privacy" Firewall preferences as the pop-up suggests, but nothing stopped the message from coming up every single time.

As tburzio said, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. But I also see loads of TIC Read Status errors in the Poser processes in the Console, so maybe it has something to do with that? (not that I'm fluent in Console errors, but I have a saved search to show me just the Poser errors b/c there are SO MANY!!)

• @perpetualrevision said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@Cobra said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@Cobra: I get that same pop-up every time I launch Poser on my MacBook Pro (running macOS High Sierra). I tried fiddling with "Security & Privacy" Firewall preferences as the pop-up suggests, but nothing stopped the message from coming up every single time.

As tburzio said, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. But I also see loads of TIC Read Status errors in the Poser processes in the Console, so maybe it has something to do with that? (not that I'm fluent in Console errors, but I have a saved search to show me just the Poser errors b/c there are SO MANY!!)

A quick search seems to indicate that it's related to TCP/IP connections and that's likely because Poser uses certain ports for logical operations. But, then again, I think it also can access those for other things, these days, and the installer certainly has re-certification options, so Poser may also be casting out for that sort of thing, too.

• A quick licensing question:

I'll be setting up a new fancy rig pretty soon and will be decommissioning the old one. (Hey, it made it through a lightning strike and kept on running, it's time to put it out to pasture...)

I shouldn't expect any issues when reinstalling Poser on new equipment, right? Anything special I need to do other than just use the downloader and put in my license info?

• Poser Ambassadors

A quick licensing question:

I'll be setting up a new fancy rig pretty soon and will be decommissioning the old one. (Hey, it made it through a lightning strike and kept on running, it's time to put it out to pasture...)

I shouldn't expect any issues when reinstalling Poser on new equipment, right? Anything special I need to do other than just use the downloader and put in my license info?

Best thing to do is to deactivate the license on your old machine before you install on the new machine, that way it gets automatically activated without increasing your number of active licenses.

• @wimvdb said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Best thing to do is to deactivate the license on your old machine before you install on the new machine, that way it gets automatically activated without increasing your number of active licenses.

Thanks!

That won't invalidate my current serial/license though, right? It can be deactivated "per machine" (MAC, I assume, or install hash or something more complex? Just wanting to make sure the transition is smooth.) That drive will get drill-bitted and thrown in the garbage. It's already got "bad sector creep" and any more going bad is eventually going to hit one it actually cares about. :)

• Poser Ambassadors

@wimvdb said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Thanks!

That won't invalidate my current serial/license though, right? It can be deactivated "per machine" (MAC, I assume, or install hash or something more complex? Just wanting to make sure the transition is smooth.) That drive will get drill-bitted and thrown in the garbage. It's already got "bad sector creep" and any more going bad is eventually going to hit one it actually cares about. :)

Deactivating the license makes it free for use on another machine.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.