Poser 11 SR7 is available

• @eclark1849 said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@morkonan Honestly, I just don't think it's SM's responsibility. Doesn't mean that they can't take it upon themselves to ensure something like that wouldn't happen, but I don't think it's fair for users to just EXPECT them to do it.

Sure, it's not their responsibility. BUT, keep in mind, their installer is a "representative" of the company, just like the program is. So, an installer that helps to protect you from making a mistake that could have disastrous consequences, considering what users are likely to have in their runtimes, would be a nice touch.

Most installers that deal with customers who have legacy/saved content have warnings if a process could overwrite this content. That's an industry-standard practice.

• @morkonan said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

SM knows Poser fans have gigs of crap stored in their runtimes and should make efforts to protect users from themselves by creating an installer that will prompt the heck out of them should they choose options that will overwrite precious runtimes.

like this?

***NSFW content***

click to show

• @erogenesis said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@morkonan said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

SM knows Poser fans have gigs of crap stored in their runtimes and should make efforts to protect users from themselves by creating an installer that will prompt the heck out of them should they choose options that will overwrite precious runtimes.

like this?

***NSFW content***

click to show

This... This is a beautiful thing. I sit in awe and bow to your superior intellect... :)

• @Cobra said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Deny or Allow it'll always pop up when I launch Poser now. Does anyone else get this?

@Cobra: I get that same pop-up every time I launch Poser on my MacBook Pro (running macOS High Sierra). I tried fiddling with "Security & Privacy" Firewall preferences as the pop-up suggests, but nothing stopped the message from coming up every single time.

As tburzio said, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. But I also see loads of TIC Read Status errors in the Poser processes in the Console, so maybe it has something to do with that? (not that I'm fluent in Console errors, but I have a saved search to show me just the Poser errors b/c there are SO MANY!!)

• @perpetualrevision said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@Cobra said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Deny or Allow it'll always pop up when I launch Poser now. Does anyone else get this?

@Cobra: I get that same pop-up every time I launch Poser on my MacBook Pro (running macOS High Sierra). I tried fiddling with "Security & Privacy" Firewall preferences as the pop-up suggests, but nothing stopped the message from coming up every single time.

As tburzio said, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. But I also see loads of TIC Read Status errors in the Poser processes in the Console, so maybe it has something to do with that? (not that I'm fluent in Console errors, but I have a saved search to show me just the Poser errors b/c there are SO MANY!!)

A quick search seems to indicate that it's related to TCP/IP connections and that's likely because Poser uses certain ports for logical operations. But, then again, I think it also can access those for other things, these days, and the installer certainly has re-certification options, so Poser may also be casting out for that sort of thing, too.

• A quick licensing question:

I'll be setting up a new fancy rig pretty soon and will be decommissioning the old one. (Hey, it made it through a lightning strike and kept on running, it's time to put it out to pasture...)

I shouldn't expect any issues when reinstalling Poser on new equipment, right? Anything special I need to do other than just use the downloader and put in my license info?

• Poser Ambassadors

A quick licensing question:

I'll be setting up a new fancy rig pretty soon and will be decommissioning the old one. (Hey, it made it through a lightning strike and kept on running, it's time to put it out to pasture...)

I shouldn't expect any issues when reinstalling Poser on new equipment, right? Anything special I need to do other than just use the downloader and put in my license info?

Best thing to do is to deactivate the license on your old machine before you install on the new machine, that way it gets automatically activated without increasing your number of active licenses.

• @wimvdb said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Best thing to do is to deactivate the license on your old machine before you install on the new machine, that way it gets automatically activated without increasing your number of active licenses.

Thanks!

That won't invalidate my current serial/license though, right? It can be deactivated "per machine" (MAC, I assume, or install hash or something more complex? Just wanting to make sure the transition is smooth.) That drive will get drill-bitted and thrown in the garbage. It's already got "bad sector creep" and any more going bad is eventually going to hit one it actually cares about. :)

• Poser Ambassadors

@wimvdb said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Thanks!

That won't invalidate my current serial/license though, right? It can be deactivated "per machine" (MAC, I assume, or install hash or something more complex? Just wanting to make sure the transition is smooth.) That drive will get drill-bitted and thrown in the garbage. It's already got "bad sector creep" and any more going bad is eventually going to hit one it actually cares about. :)

Deactivating the license makes it free for use on another machine.

• I'm not updating anymore. My Poser Pro 11 was working fine until I updated with SR8, Now all it does is give me trouble. Crashes, Dawn keeps disappearing, etc. How do i get back to the last version i had on this Windows 7 machine?

• @eclark1849 I have 11.0.7.33999 they have SR8 out?

• Yep SR8 is out. I heard there was an issue with one of the shader roots.

I'm also hanging onto SR6 and 7 for now. Always keep copies of the older SRs.

• @erogenesis do you ever sleep?

• @erogenesis SR 8 is the only update I used.

• @ghostship said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@erogenesis do you ever sleep?

sleep? what is this sleep you speak of?

@eclark1849 said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@erogenesis SR 8 is the only update I used.

is it legal to send a friend an older SR? :D

• @eclark1849 said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

I'm not updating anymore. My Poser Pro 11 was working fine until I updated with SR8, Now all it does is give me trouble. Crashes, Dawn keeps disappearing, etc. How do i get back to the last version i had on this Windows 7 machine?

You can usually use system restore to restore Windows 7 and apps back to a previous state. Windows 10 has that feature too, but for some odd reason it's disabled by default and every major update disables it again. :/

• @semicharm Thanks. I'll give it a try.

• @eclark1849 Yeah, I don't think that one's gonna work either I think it's been too long. My computer has had at least three updates since just after Poser was updated. I used to be able to keep upgrade files on my Mac, but i haven't been able to figure out where or if there is a copy of the update or a previous version of Poser on my laptop.

• @eclark1849

@eclark1849 said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@eclark1849 Yeah, I don't think that one's gonna work either I think it's been too long. My computer has had at least three updates since just after Poser was updated. I used to be able to keep upgrade files on my Mac, but i haven't been able to figure out where or if there is a copy of the update or a previous version of Poser on my laptop.

I think by default it only shows the most recent restore point, but there's an option to view all previous restore points currently available.

As for Poser updates, there's a setting in download manager to keep a set number of previous versions and to change the download location. Personally, I copy them myself from that folder for safe keeping. In your case, I'd check the current download setting and browse to that folder. Then, right-click it and select "properties". Select the "previous versions" tab and see if there's a copy from before the new SR was downloaded. If so, you can open that past version of the folder and retrieve the old update.

Good luck! And yes, in a past life I was an IT consultant.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849

Hi,
    I have no clue what you guys do with your PC/Mac/ configurations and or installations.

All my systems are Windows10-64bit and between 6 and 16 GB RAM.
    Some have Nvidea others run on AMD cards. Some run on SSD others on HD.

Poser runs about 24/7/365 here on one but mostly 2 to 3 PC's, sometimes 4.

Every W-End, (sometimes less, sometimes more) we install and run a new beta.

There are only 2 ways I can get PoserPro11 to crash:

• Run the script "Delete all lights" when I accidently have a light selected.
    • Run a fitting room session on a figure that has dynamic hair on her.

And God knows I abuse Poser more and harder each and every day.
    Except for the above cases, It has been months since my latest "normal" crash.

Figures and new obj files/textures combinations run in and out with the front and back door open, but, and here comes the "but": LOL.

I maintain a DEFAULT installation.
    NO scripts and NO add-ons to spoil the Poser experience.

I absolutely REFUSE to run ANY 3"'rd party script while Poser is running.

(Sometimes I test scripts, but like all others test ? When the testing is done? Out they go.) => I wannna see what "Poser does".

To live happy-happy, all you need is a "default Poser installation", and something like Blender to do the obj file work, and something like Krita to do the texture work.

The last time a figure vanished from screen must have been more then 5 years ago but (LOL the second "but") I can get obj to vaporise. LOL. Textures to depart on unbooked flights, weight and bulge maps to go banana's, but that's part of what "I" do while testing. LOL.

When "real life calms down", I"ll show what I have been doing.

You all know V4, right?
    Want to change the texture set? => Single click here.
    No scripts but pure and simple obj and texture work, and using Poser to get it to work properly. And the procedure works on ALL Poser figures/clothing, whatever, renders faster too, and with far better rendered results in ALL render engines.

Ha-ha-ha-, I call it the RMZSSK procedure. LOL. More to come on that one. LOL.