Poser 11 SR7 is available

• Poser Ambassadors

@perpetualrevision said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

@vilters said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

With some figures, that load a TON of 4K textures like diffuse, spec, bump, normal, displacement, transmaps, times the number of material zones, it is easy to get to the max RAM limit, or the max limit of any video card.
    I forgot : Times the number of figures in your scene.. LOL.

I have a question about this. Do all these 4k textures slow down Poser's performance in the Pose room (in Preview mode) even with hardware shading disabled, a max preview texture size of 512, and items that use trans-maps set to wireframe display? And even if I've deleted all normal, bump, displacement, and specular maps in V4's skin shaders and let EZSkin set up procedural bump and spec instead?

By "performance" I specifically mean using parameter dials to adjust figures' poses and expressions, NOT rendering. With two V4's in a scene and only a few infinite lights, and with no other apps running on my MacBook Pro (w/ 16gb RAM), Poser's response to my efforts to turn parameter dials starts to slow down after about 30-40 minutes of trying out various poses and expressions.

I had thought I'd ruled out large textures as being the culprit by using the methods indicated above, but maybe I'm missing something? Does Texture Cache Size play a role? (mine is at the default of 500mb) Would it make a difference if I didn't use texture shading in Preview mode at all and instead used flat shading? It would be a bit depressing to try and bring my characters to life if I had to look at them that way, but it would be worth a try if it meant I could use Poser for longer than an hour or two before it either stops responding or crashes!

In the pose room, preview mode, the texture size used is the one you specify in Preview render settings. If you have set it at 512, it should be okay.
    A thing which does slow down the pose room a lot is multi-layer transparency. If you have that one, it will slow down the performance a lot. Turn it off when posing, only use it for preview rendering or when you are adjusting materials.
    Also having your render target set as Superfly (even when not rendering) can slow the Poser room down. Set it to Firefly or Preview

I have no real problem getting 10-20 clothed figures in a scene. Dials do slow down, but still usable. What that happens i switch to another display mode for the scene

But i have to admit I have a PC with i7-6850K 3.6Ghz, 128GB of memory and 2 GTX 1080s in it

• Hi,

I'll probably put this in a bug report, but I thought it might be good to let others know. I'm encountering a very weird Python error where Poser crashes when I try to delete things via Python, but not if I do it by hand in the GUI. Literally these two lines crash Poser:
    sel = poser.Scene().CurrentActor()
    sel.Delete()
    in the Python shell when I have a very simple prop selected. This means I'm encountering fatal errors in the script I'm building and testing, errors I can't do anything about. I have only had this problem since upgrading to 11.1.0.34759

• @kobaltkween said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Hi,

I'll probably put this in a bug report, but I thought it might be good to let others know. I'm encountering a very weird Python error where Poser crashes when I try to delete things via Python, but not if I do it by hand in the GUI. Literally these two lines crash Poser:
    sel = poser.Scene().CurrentActor()
    sel.Delete()
    in the Python shell when I have a very simple prop selected. This means I'm encountering fatal errors in the script I'm building and testing, errors I can't do anything about. I have only had this problem since upgrading to 11.1.0.34759

I'm using an object manager for P9 since it was sold, and it's the same: crash :-(

I think that Poser crashes if it was the last object (except for the contruct)

• @Y-Phil
    Unfortunately, that isn't the case. At least not in my tests. It's crashing for me when I try to delete one of several random props and two or more figures in multiple scenes, one of which was made after the upgrade, others which were made prior to the upgrade.

I use that function repeatedly in my script, and I never had a problem in testing unless the actor wasn't in the scene any more. At least not until now.

• Did you try to delete an object that is not the current selected object ?

Else :
    They added "Delete Object" in Object menu.
    So you can probably call this menu item via poser.ProcessCommand() as workaround for now.

• This post is deleted!

• Banned

Adi, is there anyway to re-calculate a figures normals? After using Zbrush GOZ on a figure, sometimes the figure has a problem with normals. I can export the figure as an OBJ and then re-import as an OBJ, this fixes the normals, but then I'm stuck with a prop and not a figure.

Is there any python script that can re-calculate a figures normals the same way normals are re-calculated with you import an OBJ?

• @barnardino Well, yes, that's what sel = poser.Scene().CurrentActor() means. That I'm referring to the currently selected actor. But the whole point of using a script is being able to call the methods of on any actor you identify with the script. Only being able to delete the currently selected item would limit scripts to only being able to do what the GUI can currently do.

I don't know that using ProcessCommand won't have the same problem, but since deleting using the GUI doesn't, it might be a temporary solution. That said, it can be problematic to depend on the right actor being selected when the command is processed. I know because I've had to deal with all kinds of idiosyncrasies using that method to duplicate items.

Besides which, we're not talking about a simple script. I identified the problem with those two lines, but this involves several methods I've built for classes that are themselves part of a whole app. There's a lot of moving parts, and I'm not sure what- if anything- suddenly switching around the currently selected item will break.

But thank you so much for the suggestion. I submitted the bug, and I was told it was sent to the engineers early Friday morning, which was wicked fast. Still, it's the holidays, and it would be best if I didn't have to count on the engineers having a solution any time soon.

• @kobaltkween said in Poser 11 SR7 is available:

Well, yes, that's what sel = poser.Scene().CurrentActor() means. That I'm referring to the currently selected actor. But the whole point of using a script is being able to call the methods of on any actor you identify with the script. Only being able to delete the currently selected item would limit scripts to only being able to do what the GUI can currently do.

@Barnardino said in Poser SR7 is avaliable:

Did you try to delete an object that is not the current selected object ?

So we''re saying the same thing :)

Still as work around, and i'm agree, i don't think it's really usuable, but well, just let you know :
    regarding the current selection, there again you can use poser.ProcessCommand() since in edit menu you have 'next selection' & 'previous selection'

Anyhow, i think they probably messed up when they implemented the 'delete object' menu option vs python.
    Thanks for your ticket submission, because i feel concerned too for some of my tools.
    I hope they classified it as 'critical' :)

• @barnardino Yeah, we pretty much are. I can control the selected actor, as I do with my duplication. That said, that was one of the more tricky parts of my script, because of Poser's random behavior.

Mind, I still haven't tested ProcessCommand() to see if it works. It's logical that it will given that deleting with the GUI works, but given I can't even begin to fathom what went wrong with the update to cause this problem, I'm not betting on anything.

I, too, am concerned about existing scripts. This is an entirely fatal error. If it just didn't work, that would be bad enough, but it fully crashes Poser. I had to debug this, but normal people will probably just avoid those scripts like the plague if they encounter this problem. IMHO, it makes the script look dicey. I mean, I would expect a script that completely crashed Poser after an update to be doing something really klugey, overly complicated, with a whole bunch of erroneous assumptions. I wouldn't expect the problem to be just using a common officially documented method.